A flawed 6800LE back to work

NaDa

I recently purchased a 6800LE card, which had flawed memory chips.
Surprise, surprise. Oh man, what is it with these LE cards and the memory?
Now I may be getting old or I'm just stubborn, but I decided to keep it and
soft-mod it back to life with the help of Rivatuner, instead of returning it
and waiting for a replacement that would take two weeks.

If you have a flawed 6800LE with that infamous black screen problem when you
load a game like Doom 3, you can get it work and possibly mod it on the
level of a 6600GT or better. However, in my case, I had to lower the memory
clock all the way from 700 to 500 before I could use the 16 pipelines
without graphical errors. Now it does seem like a bad tradeoff, but it's
not too bad, because the extra pipelines bring in some extra muscle power.
Of course, if you can't get the pipelines working with Rivatuner, return the
damn thing back to the place you bought it and get that Stupid PC Hardware
of the Year Candidate Gainward 6200 with 512 megs of memory to show off your
friends!

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

I think you mean 6800GT, not 6600GT.

DaveL

"Nada" <nada_says@hotmail.com_killspam> wrote in message
>I recently purchased a 6800LE card, which had flawed memory chips.
> Surprise, surprise. Oh man, what is it with these LE cards and the
> memory?
> Now I may be getting old or I'm just stubborn, but I decided to keep it
> and
> soft-mod it back to life with the help of Rivatuner, instead of returning
> it
> and waiting for a replacement that would take two weeks.
>
> If you have a flawed 6800LE with that infamous black screen problem when
> you
> load a game like Doom 3, you can get it work and possibly mod it on the
> level of a 6600GT or better. However, in my case, I had to lower the
> memory
> clock all the way from 700 to 500 before I could use the 16 pipelines
> without graphical errors. Now it does seem like a bad tradeoff, but it's
> not too bad, because the extra pipelines bring in some extra muscle power.
> Of course, if you can't get the pipelines working with Rivatuner, return
> the
> damn thing back to the place you bought it and get that Stupid PC Hardware
> of the Year Candidate Gainward 6200 with 512 megs of memory to show off
> your
> friends!

NaDa

DaveL wrote:
> I think you mean 6800GT, not 6600GT.
>
> DaveL

6600GT or better. Both will do.

> "Nada" <nada_says@hotmail.com_killspam> wrote:
>
>> I recently purchased a 6800LE card, which had flawed memory chips.
>> Surprise, surprise. Oh man, what is it with these LE cards and the
>> memory?
>> Now I may be getting old or I'm just stubborn, but I decided to keep
>> it and
>> soft-mod it back to life with the help of Rivatuner, instead of
>> returning it
>> and waiting for a replacement that would take two weeks.
>>
>> If you have a flawed 6800LE with that infamous black screen problem
>> when you
>> load a game like Doom 3, you can get it work and possibly mod it on the
>> level of a 6600GT or better. However, in my case, I had to lower the
>> memory
>> clock all the way from 700 to 500 before I could use the 16 pipelines
>> without graphical errors. Now it does seem like a bad tradeoff, but it's
>> not too bad, because the extra pipelines bring in some extra muscle
>> power.
>> Of course, if you can't get the pipelines working with Rivatuner,
>> return the
>> damn thing back to the place you bought it and get that Stupid PC
>> Hardware
>> of the Year Candidate Gainward 6200 with 512 megs of memory to show
>> off your
>> friends!

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

Well, it's impossible to soft mod a 6800LE into a 6600GT. It is possible to
mod to a 6800 or 6800GT by unlocking pipes.

DaveL

"Nada" <nada_says@luukku.com_killspam> wrote in message
> DaveL wrote:
>> I think you mean 6800GT, not 6600GT.
>>
>> DaveL
>
> 6600GT or better. Both will do.
>

>> "Nada" <nada_says@hotmail.com_killspam> wrote:
>>
>>> I recently purchased a 6800LE card, which had flawed memory chips.
>>> Surprise, surprise. Oh man, what is it with these LE cards and the
>>> memory?
>>> Now I may be getting old or I'm just stubborn, but I decided to keep it
>>> and
>>> soft-mod it back to life with the help of Rivatuner, instead of
>>> returning it
>>> and waiting for a replacement that would take two weeks.
>>>
>>> If you have a flawed 6800LE with that infamous black screen problem when
>>> you
>>> load a game like Doom 3, you can get it work and possibly mod it on the
>>> level of a 6600GT or better. However, in my case, I had to lower the
>>> memory
>>> clock all the way from 700 to 500 before I could use the 16 pipelines
>>> without graphical errors. Now it does seem like a bad tradeoff, but
>>> it's
>>> not too bad, because the extra pipelines bring in some extra muscle
>>> power.
>>> Of course, if you can't get the pipelines working with Rivatuner, return
>>> the
>>> damn thing back to the place you bought it and get that Stupid PC
>>> Hardware
>>> of the Year Candidate Gainward 6200 with 512 megs of memory to show off
>>> your
>>> friends!

Okay.What's the difference between a 6800LE and a 6800. Most places Ive seen
say they are the same.

"DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Well, it's impossible to soft mod a 6800LE into a 6600GT. It is possible
> mod to a 6800 or 6800GT by unlocking pipes.
>
> DaveL
>

> "Nada" <nada_says@luukku.com_killspam> wrote in message
> > DaveL wrote:
> >> I think you mean 6800GT, not 6600GT.
> >>
> >> DaveL
> >
> > 6600GT or better. Both will do.

NaDa

"DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote:
> Well, it's impossible to soft mod a 6800LE into a 6600GT. It is possible
> mod to a 6800 or 6800GT by unlocking pipes.
>
> DaveL

Just meant the speed, which is comparable with 6800LE and 6600GT. My 6800LE
with standard memory clocks 700MHz would be about as good as 6600GT, but
since my 6800LE has the annoying black screen hardware bug due to the crummy
memory latency problems or whatever, I have to downclock it to 500MHz in
order to use 16 pipes in Rivatuner without graphical glitches. Purchasing a
6800LE is a gamble, it might or might not work as it should.

By the way, the GeForce 6 demos look great, but are frustratingly slow. If
anyone has measured fps with these demos, let me know what results you got.
Mine was absolutely in snail-speed. 3 to 5 frames per second.

NaDa

"dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> Okay.What's the difference between a 6800LE and a 6800. Most places Ive
seen
> say they are the same.

Mostly with pipelines. The GeForce 6800 has twelve pixel pipelines compared
to 6800LE's eight. I bought a 6800LE because my local PC hardware store
didn't have any AGP 6600GTs left.