GeForce 6600 Install Problems

Trying to install a BFG GeForce 6600 GT OC AGP into my Dell Precision 530.

It has twin 1.8ghz Xeons with 1MB main memory and a 460w power supply
running a raid card with two hard drives plus a standby hard drive. When I
turn the computer on, nothing happens and the monitor goes into standby.

My previous card is a Quadro 700xl. Tried uninstalling those drivers, as
recommended, did not help.

BFG tech says classic symptom of underpower.

Dell tech says probably a bad card.

This card is overclocked, could that be the problem?

TIA!

Rick Campbell

Rick Campbell wrote:

> Trying to install a BFG GeForce 6600 GT OC AGP into my Dell Precision 530.
>
> It has twin 1.8ghz Xeons with 1MB main memory and a 460w power supply
> running a raid card with two hard drives plus a standby hard drive. When I
> turn the computer on, nothing happens and the monitor goes into standby.
>
> My previous card is a Quadro 700xl. Tried uninstalling those drivers, as
> recommended, did not help.
>
> BFG tech says classic symptom of underpower.

Yep. That's a mighty heavy duty setup for a 460.

> Dell tech says probably a bad card.
>
> This card is overclocked, could that be the problem?

Generally speaking when something is overclocked and things are not working,
the first thing to do is dial the overclock back to spec.

You say "When I turn the computer on nothing happens and the monitor goes
into standby". When does this occur? If it's not getting as far as the
Windows boot screen then it's not a driver issue or any other kind of
Windows issue for that matter. If it's not running any of POST then it's a
hardware or BIOS configuration issue.

Long shot, inspect _carefully_ and make sure that you haven't knocked any
fan cables loose--some motherboards won't even try to boot unless they're
getting an RPM signal off of the CPU fans. Would not surprise me if Dell
was in that category.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"Rick Campbell" <resq4x6w@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Trying to install a BFG GeForce 6600 GT OC AGP into my Dell Precision 530.
>
> It has twin 1.8ghz Xeons with 1MB main memory and a 460w power supply
> running a raid card with two hard drives plus a standby hard drive. When I
> turn the computer on, nothing happens and the monitor goes into standby.
>
> My previous card is a Quadro 700xl. Tried uninstalling those drivers, as
> recommended, did not help.
>
> BFG tech says classic symptom of underpower.
>
> Dell tech says probably a bad card.

Have you tried the card in another box?

In article <jNBye.7267$kh3.2871@trnddc03>, Rick Campbell says...

> BFG tech says classic symptom of underpower.

It is.

> This card is overclocked, could that be the problem?

No.

--
Conor

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 20:08:47 GMT, "Rick Campbell" <resq4x6w@verizon.net>
wrote:

>Trying to install a BFG GeForce 6600 GT OC AGP into my Dell Precision 530.
>
>It has twin 1.8ghz Xeons with 1MB main memory and a 460w power supply
>running a raid card with two hard drives plus a standby hard drive. When I
>turn the computer on, nothing happens and the monitor goes into standby.
>
>My previous card is a Quadro 700xl. Tried uninstalling those drivers, as
>recommended, did not help.
>
>BFG tech says classic symptom of underpower.
>
>Dell tech says probably a bad card.
>
>This card is overclocked, could that be the problem?
>
>TIA!
>
>Rick Campbell

Card not fully in its Slot..

Andrew

"Rick Campbell" <resq4x6w@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Trying to install a BFG GeForce 6600 GT OC AGP into my Dell Precision 530.
>
> It has twin 1.8ghz Xeons with 1MB main memory and a 460w power supply
> running a raid card with two hard drives plus a standby hard drive. When I
> turn the computer on, nothing happens and the monitor goes into standby.
>
> My previous card is a Quadro 700xl. Tried uninstalling those drivers, as
> recommended, did not help.
>
> BFG tech says classic symptom of underpower.
>
> Dell tech says probably a bad card.
>
> This card is overclocked, could that be the problem?
>
> TIA!
>
> Rick Campbell

Do you not get any boot activity at all? That suggest either the card is
not seated correctly or the power drain is to hugh. Try disconnecting some
of the other devices power supplies e.g. floppy, CD-Rom, DVD drives etc.
Remove the card and re-seat it

Does it boot now?

Try holding down CTRL whilst the computer is booting. If it boots
succesfully then the overclock is the problem since this bypasses any
overclock on the card.

Regards,

Andy