Which SLI configuration to get? GeForce 7800 GTX 256MB or ..

Money concerns aside which one is better for playing very graphic
intensive games?
9 answers Last reply
More about which configuration geforce 7800 256mb

    In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, User Me ordered an army of hamsters
    to type:

    > Money concerns aside which one is better for playing very graphic
    > intensive games?

    do you want a serious answer? For both performance and quality the 7800's
    would be better

    Re: 256 vs 512 - You need to consider what kind of resolution you'll be
    running. Generally, you don't normally need 512 video unless you're running
    at some really large resolution. It's really overkill at normal resolution.
    Anyone correct me if I'm wrong please....

    On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 03:12:54 GMT, Tom Dauphin wrote:

    > Re: 256 vs 512 - You need to consider what kind of resolution you'll be
    > running. Generally, you don't normally need 512 video unless you're running
    > at some really large resolution. It's really overkill at normal resolution.
    > Anyone correct me if I'm wrong please....
    >

    > "Kokoro" <kokoro@kokorolibrary.something.net> wrote in message
    >> In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, User Me ordered an army of hamsters
    >> to type:
    >>
    >>> Money concerns aside which one is better for playing very graphic
    >>> intensive games?
    >>>

    >> do you want a serious answer? For both performance and quality the 7800's
    >> would be better

    Like you need 7800gt x 2, what do you want 20000 frames in doom3, nowbody
    needs 2 7800gt's because you won't see any diference runing just one or
    two, there is a diference in performance i'm not arguing that but in
    pratice you won't see any difference, waste of money IMHO !!!

    On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:30:06 +0200, Nikonja <nikonja@gmail.com> wrote:

    >On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 03:12:54 GMT, Tom Dauphin wrote:
    >
    >> Re: 256 vs 512 - You need to consider what kind of resolution you'll be
    >> running. Generally, you don't normally need 512 video unless you're running
    >> at some really large resolution. It's really overkill at normal resolution.
    >> Anyone correct me if I'm wrong please....
    >>

    >> "Kokoro" <kokoro@kokorolibrary.something.net> wrote in message
    >>> In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, User Me ordered an army of hamsters
    >>> to type:

    >>> do you want a serious answer? For both performance and quality the 7800's
    >>> would be better
    >
    >Like you need 7800gt x 2, what do you want 20000 frames in doom3, nowbody
    >needs 2 7800gt's because you won't see any diference runing just one or
    >two, there is a diference in performance i'm not arguing that but in
    >pratice you won't see any difference, waste of money IMHO !!!

    But wouldn't I be "future proofing" my computer by getting the
    overkill now which would be equal to more commonplace performance a
    few years from now?

    User Me wrote:

    > But wouldn't I be "future proofing" my computer by getting the
    > overkill now which would be equal to more commonplace performance a
    > few years from now?

    No matter how much money you throw at it, any top-of-the-line hardware
    you buy now will be yesterday's news in a matter of months. If you
    really don't care about money, there is no point in the question, just
    buy the fastest and best money can get: two 7800GTX's.

    If you care just a tiny bit about money, I'd try and get the best bang
    for buck. You can pick up two 6800GT's for almost the same price as one
    7800GTX. I know I did. To me there's little point in going for 7800's,
    as you won't get double the framerate, and it certainly won't look twice
    as good. With two 6800GT's (or Ultra's) you still get enough fps to last
    you well into the next generation of games, and by then, you'll be en
    route to buying two 8800GTX Ultra's.

    If your point is in asking if you need 512MB in stead of 256MB per card:
    for now, there isn't much performance increase. By the time you'll need
    more memory on the graphics card, you'll be wanting a newer and faster
    GPU to go with it.

    Hi,

    In article <WyGAe.6687$8f7.5236@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
    Tom Dauphin <tdauphin@earthlink.net> wrote:
    #Re: 256 vs 512 - You need to consider what kind of resolution you'll be
    #running. Generally, you don't normally need 512 video unless you're running
    #at some really large resolution. It's really overkill at normal resolution.
    #Anyone correct me if I'm wrong please....

    OK, you're wrong. :)

    You only need about 32MB to support the highest current resolutions. The
    additional memory is mostly for holding textures.

    Ken.
    Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Fire Rumsfeld, secure Iraq's borders.
    WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Our border with Mexico too.

    "User Me" <userme@home.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:30:06 +0200, Nikonja <nikonja@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 03:12:54 GMT, Tom Dauphin wrote:
    >>
    >>> Re: 256 vs 512 - You need to consider what kind of resolution you'll be
    >>> running. Generally, you don't normally need 512 video unless you're
    >>> running
    >>> at some really large resolution. It's really overkill at normal
    >>> resolution.
    >>> Anyone correct me if I'm wrong please....
    >>>

    >>> "Kokoro" <kokoro@kokorolibrary.something.net> wrote in message

    >>Like you need 7800gt x 2, what do you want 20000 frames in doom3, nowbody
    >>needs 2 7800gt's because you won't see any diference runing just one or
    >>two, there is a diference in performance i'm not arguing that but in
    >>pratice you won't see any difference, waste of money IMHO !!!
    >

    > But wouldn't I be "future proofing" my computer by getting the
    > overkill now which would be equal to more commonplace performance a
    > few years from now?

    The problem with future proofing, especially to such a long distance ('a few
    years'), is that PC hardware changes so much. I think it's better to have
    the option for upgradeability over the next 6-12-18 months. By this, I mean
    buying a top of the range mobo, and a cpu in the 'next range' but relatively
    'slow'. For instance, I'm going to get an ASUS A8N-SLI, Athlong64 3000+
    Venice, 1gig Dual DDR400, and a 6800GT 256MB. I'll keep all my old existing
    hard-disks and cd drives. This way in 6 months time I can upgrade my vid
    card to either a 7800GTX, or dual 7600s or 7200s, even dual 6800GTs or
    something. Or I could upgrade my CPU. And later on I can buy another gig of
    RAM if I reckon I need it. There are always heaps of options. Also consider
    in a few years time the 7800GTX will be considered the same as, what, an
    nVid 5xxx or ATI 8xxx series card. So you'll wanna buy the best possible
    again. Buy buying the best each time around, you're missing out on the best
    possible performance because you can't buy better stuff as it's released.
    You're stuck with what you bought several years ago.

    Sure OTT futureproofing will results in more 'commonplace' performance, but
    you're right in that won't be for a few years! Until then, you'll just have
    overkill, and you'll have wasted your money.

    IMHO, it's far better to buy middle-to-top range components and upgrade them
    every 6 months or so. This way you're always on the 'bleeding-edge' of
    technology, but you're not wasting your money on overkill. Unless you
    require these parts professionally, it's pointless.

    Also consider that buying 2 7800GTXs means you will be RAM and/or CPU bound.
    So unless you can also afford the highest, fastest possible CPU (which would
    probably top the AUD800-1000 mark - enough for the computer I described
    above), and 4 GBs of RAM, once again, it's pointless. And there aren't
    enough games out there that require that much gaming power!

    Anyway....those are my suggestions.

    If you want to futureproof to a great extent, either buy a single 7800GTX,
    or wait for the 7800 Ultra. Lots more ram, and a top-end CPU.

    Thank you everyone for the advice! I guess "futureproofing" for a few
    years is completely unrealistic considering how fast the hardware
    changes.

    I'am still considering what to do as I haven't fully made up my mind
    yet and most likely won't take the plunge until the end of summer.

    I just looked at a review done at www.tomshardware.com on SLI/6800/7800.
    Their conclusion was that 2x7800 in SLI mode was the way for any serious
    gamer to go.

    However, in every benchmark I saw except for the 3Dmarks ones, the 7800 SLI
    setup produced fewer fps than a 7800 in single mode. I can't understand
    why they push the SLI mode 7800 setup.

Nvidia Gtx Configuration SLI Geforce Graphics