Is it my monitor, my video card or my eyes?

I've got a new GT6600 and an old (about 4 years?) Samsung SyncMaster
753dfx. In the last month the display seems to have gone very slightly
out of focus - not a problem when playing games but very noticable and
hard on the eyes when reading text. The problem *didn't* start
straight away with the installation of the 6600 but a few weeks after
so I'm guessing that's not necessarily the cause. I can't seem to find
a way of adjusting the focus of the monitor without dismantling it and
risking electrocution. I'm going to arragne to try an alternative
monitor but in the meantime are there any settings worth fiddling with
in the Nvidia control panel?

Thanks folks.
7 answers Last reply
More about monitor video card eyes

    It sounds like your monitor is failing.

    --
    DaveW

    'nameless' wrote in part:
    | I've got a new GT6600 and an old (about 4 years?) Samsung SyncMaster
    | 753dfx. In the last month the display seems to have gone very slightly
    | out of focus - not a problem when playing games but very noticable and
    | hard on the eyes when reading text.

    _____

    'Out of focus' is usually a monitor problem. Four years doesn't really
    qualify a monitor as 'old.' CRT monitors are a mature technology, and
    improvement is only incremental. A good monitor of four years ago is still
    a good monitor.

    A bit more information would help. What size screen? What resolution to do
    you use for text? For games? What refresh rate for text?

    A monitor can have either an adjustment on the back panel or an electronic
    adjustment through the on screen menu. Look for both.

    If the cable has been stressed a lot that can cause an out of focus effect
    as higher frequencies can be lost. A poor connection of the cable can cause
    loss of high frequencies also.

    A monitor can go out of adjustment if it has been subject to shock.

    A monitor can go out of focus as it ages, but not as quickly as four years.

    Some display adapters have better text response, but that won't be apparent
    at lower resoultions.

    Windows XP has a 'text enhancement' mode. Is it possible you had that mode
    turned on, then it was reset to default when the new display adapter was
    installed.

    Finally, there could be a defect in the new display adapter. You need to
    reinstall the original card or try the monitor with another system as soon
    as possible while you can still return the card if the card happens to be
    defective.

    Phil Weldon

    <issaries@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I've got a new GT6600 and an old (about 4 years?) Samsung SyncMaster
    > 753dfx. In the last month the display seems to have gone very slightly
    > out of focus - not a problem when playing games but very noticable and
    > hard on the eyes when reading text. The problem *didn't* start
    > straight away with the installation of the 6600 but a few weeks after
    > so I'm guessing that's not necessarily the cause. I can't seem to find
    > a way of adjusting the focus of the monitor without dismantling it and
    > risking electrocution. I'm going to arragne to try an alternative
    > monitor but in the meantime are there any settings worth fiddling with
    > in the Nvidia control panel?
    >
    > Thanks folks.

    <issaries@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I've got a new GT6600 and an old (about 4 years?) Samsung SyncMaster
    > 753dfx. In the last month the display seems to have gone very slightly
    > out of focus - not a problem when playing games but very noticable and
    > hard on the eyes when reading text. The problem *didn't* start
    > straight away with the installation of the 6600 but a few weeks after
    > so I'm guessing that's not necessarily the cause. I can't seem to find
    > a way of adjusting the focus of the monitor without dismantling it and
    > risking electrocution. I'm going to arragne to try an alternative
    > monitor but in the meantime are there any settings worth fiddling with
    > in the Nvidia control panel?
    >
    > Thanks folks.

    I had a 19" CTX that did this. CTX isn't the greatest, i know.. It also went
    through a couple of moves, but was taken care of well. After a couple of
    years it started to go out of focus. It drove me crazy for over another
    year! I tried everything, other than taking it apart physically. I thought
    maybe my video drivers.. monitor driver.. video card.. cables..
    refresh/resolution.. I ended up admitting that it was the monitor. Thank god
    the bastard died on me recently, because even this much older 17" Vivitron
    has a better, much sharper picture, and is easier on my eyes. I personally
    suggest saving up for a new monitor.. A temporary replacement that will be
    easier on the eyes can be had for 50 bucks, until you can get what you truly
    want.

    You might like to check your clear type settings
    http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/Step1.aspx

    <issaries@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I've got a new GT6600 and an old (about 4 years?) Samsung SyncMaster
    > 753dfx. In the last month the display seems to have gone very slightly
    > out of focus - not a problem when playing games but very noticable and
    > hard on the eyes when reading text. The problem *didn't* start
    > straight away with the installation of the 6600 but a few weeks after
    > so I'm guessing that's not necessarily the cause. I can't seem to find
    > a way of adjusting the focus of the monitor without dismantling it and
    > risking electrocution. I'm going to arragne to try an alternative
    > monitor but in the meantime are there any settings worth fiddling with
    > in the Nvidia control panel?
    >
    > Thanks folks.

    <issaries@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I've got a new GT6600 and an old (about 4 years?) Samsung SyncMaster
    > 753dfx. In the last month the display seems to have gone very slightly
    > out of focus - not a problem when playing games but very noticable and
    > hard on the eyes when reading text. The problem *didn't* start
    > straight away with the installation of the 6600 but a few weeks after
    > so I'm guessing that's not necessarily the cause. I can't seem to find
    > a way of adjusting the focus of the monitor without dismantling it and
    > risking electrocution. I'm going to arragne to try an alternative
    > monitor but in the meantime are there any settings worth fiddling with
    > in the Nvidia control panel?
    >
    > Thanks folks.

    I've got exactly the same problem.
    But then with a 6800GT and a Syncmaster 957DF.
    It's also 4 or 5 years old.
    Very strange thing, never had that problem with my old Geforce 4.

    I had a similar problem with my Winfast 6600gt and an HP 19" monitor. I
    switched to using the DVI output with the provided adapter and bam,
    everything sharpened up immediately. So, my suggestion is that if you are
    using the VGA out, try plugging the adapter into the DVI and giving it a
    whirl.

    On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 20:16:55 GMT, "Mike B" <sonofzeus26@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    ><issaries@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> I've got a new GT6600 and an old (about 4 years?) Samsung SyncMaster
    >> 753dfx. In the last month the display seems to have gone very slightly
    >> out of focus - not a problem when playing games but very noticable and
    >> hard on the eyes when reading text. The problem *didn't* start
    >> straight away with the installation of the 6600 but a few weeks after
    >> so I'm guessing that's not necessarily the cause. I can't seem to find
    >> a way of adjusting the focus of the monitor without dismantling it and
    >> risking electrocution. I'm going to arragne to try an alternative
    >> monitor but in the meantime are there any settings worth fiddling with
    >> in the Nvidia control panel?

    To the OP:

    It could be that the 6600 is pushing the monitor harder than the GF4.
    It might be worth trying different resolutions and refresh rates to
    see if it makes a difference. Otherwise it might be worth taking the
    monitor to a TV or computer monitor repair shop. The problem might be
    minor.

    Sig:
    I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them.
    -- Isaac Asimov

Nvidia Graphics Cards Monitors Graphics