Can't hold off any longer!.....

Hi,

1st post so go easy :eek:)

Got a Dell Dimension 8200 with a GeForce3 Ti500 which has served me well
for just over 3 years but alas I bought GTA San Andreas and realised
it's time!.

I've been searching for a few days now and the problem is I don't really
have the cash to splash out on a brand new top of the range Nvidia at
the moment so I am looking to the second hand market for something cheaper.

The Challenge! - Purchase a second hand Nvidia card for around £100 max
which will out perform the Ti500 and then some!. I still consider the
Ti500 to be reasonably fast (cue the laughs!) because it runs GTA
'reasonably' well - but not good enough!. Currently running it at
800x600 and when it rains in the game it's major slowdown!.

Looking for something I can run the game at 1280 comfortably.....
basically something worth spending the money on - don't want to spend
for not much improvement.

Any pointers much appreciated

Preferrably Nvidia....

Jonni

Glitch

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004

Jonni wrote:
/cut/

The nVidia 6600GT is the best bet for your system as it is about 4xTi50
but you chould also consider 6800LE. The latter (6800LE) is a great card
beacuse with some luck you can unlock 16 pipelines and thus making the
card about 1.5x faster.
However both cards slighlty exceed your 100 pound limit but you won't be
dissapointed with them.
If money is an issue consider taking a nVidia 6200 and mod it into a 6600.
--
Glitches are BAD!!!
Beware...

ICQ:275699535

"Jonni" <i.h@tespam.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> 1st post so go easy :eek:)
>
> Got a Dell Dimension 8200 with a GeForce3 Ti500 which has served me
> well for just over 3 years but alas I bought GTA San Andreas and
> realised it's time!.
>
> I've been searching for a few days now and the problem is I don't
> really have the cash to splash out on a brand new top of the range
> Nvidia at the moment so I am looking to the second hand market for
> something
> cheaper.
> The Challenge! - Purchase a second hand Nvidia card for around £100
> max which will out perform the Ti500 and then some!. I still consider
> the Ti500 to be reasonably fast (cue the laughs!) because it runs GTA
> 'reasonably' well - but not good enough!. Currently running it at
> 800x600 and when it rains in the game it's major slowdown!.
>
> Looking for something I can run the game at 1280 comfortably.....
> basically something worth spending the money on - don't want to spend
> for not much improvement.
>
> Any pointers much appreciated
>
> Preferrably Nvidia....
>
> Jonni

That has an AGP slot, 4X/8X ? Look up a 6600 GT AGP. If that looks
slow, your 2 gHz CPU might be a bottleneck for it or anything higher,
like a 6800 AGP or 6800 GT AGP.
McG.

"Jonni" <i.h@tespam.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> 1st post so go easy :eek:)
>
> Got a Dell Dimension 8200 with a GeForce3 Ti500 which has served me well
> for just over 3 years but alas I bought GTA San Andreas and realised it's
> time!.
>
> I've been searching for a few days now and the problem is I don't really
> have the cash to splash out on a brand new top of the range Nvidia at the
> moment so I am looking to the second hand market for something cheaper.
>
> The Challenge! - Purchase a second hand Nvidia card for around £100 max
> which will out perform the Ti500 and then some!. I still consider the
> Ti500 to be reasonably fast (cue the laughs!) because it runs GTA
> 'reasonably' well - but not good enough!. Currently running it at 800x600
> and when it rains in the game it's major slowdown!.
>
> Looking for something I can run the game at 1280 comfortably.....
> basically something worth spending the money on - don't want to spend for
> not much improvement.
>
> Any pointers much appreciated
>
> Preferrably Nvidia....
>
> Jonni

Hi Jonni and welcome.
I don't know how much a 6600GT goes for over in the isle of angels (or
angles), but I've heard that it's the good 'price-for-power point'. It
sounds like exactly what you need!

Fido

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 18:56:34 GMT, Jonni <i.h@tespam.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>1st post so go easy :eek:)
>
>Got a Dell Dimension 8200 with a GeForce3 Ti500 which has served me well
>for just over 3 years but alas I bought GTA San Andreas and realised
>it's time!.
>
>I've been searching for a few days now and the problem is I don't really
>have the cash to splash out on a brand new top of the range Nvidia at
>the moment so I am looking to the second hand market for something cheaper.
>
>The Challenge! - Purchase a second hand Nvidia card for around £100 max
>which will out perform the Ti500 and then some!. I still consider the
>Ti500 to be reasonably fast (cue the laughs!) because it runs GTA
>'reasonably' well - but not good enough!. Currently running it at
>800x600 and when it rains in the game it's major slowdown!.
>
>Looking for something I can run the game at 1280 comfortably.....
>basically something worth spending the money on - don't want to spend
>for not much improvement.
>
>Any pointers much appreciated
>
>Preferrably Nvidia....
>
>Jonni

I'm using 6600gt with GTA:SA at 1024 with AA and aniso at 2x averaging
40 fps (according to fraps) on an athlon XP 2500 (1.8 mhz) with a gig
of ram. A quick search of google show the 6600gt going at just above
£100

Jonni wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 1st post so go easy :eek:)
>
> Got a Dell Dimension 8200 with a GeForce3 Ti500 which has served me
> well for just over 3 years but alas I bought GTA San Andreas and
> realised
> it's time!.
>
> I've been searching for a few days now and the problem is I don't
> really have the cash to splash out on a brand new top of the range
> Nvidia at
> the moment so I am looking to the second hand market for something
> cheaper.
>
> The Challenge! - Purchase a second hand Nvidia card for around £100
> max which will out perform the Ti500 and then some!. I still consider
> the Ti500 to be reasonably fast (cue the laughs!) because it runs GTA
> 'reasonably' well - but not good enough!. Currently running it at
> 800x600 and when it rains in the game it's major slowdown!.
>
> Looking for something I can run the game at 1280 comfortably.....
> basically something worth spending the money on - don't want to spend
> for not much improvement.
>
> Any pointers much appreciated

Get a 6600 GT and offset the price difference by selling the TI-500 on Ebay.

Scott

I assume you have an AGP slot and not PCI-E. If that is the case, you
may want to consider a used GeForce 6800 with the NV40 chip. The 6800
has 12 pipelines vs the 6600gt's 8 and a wider memory bus. The *beest
reason for the 6800 is with the NV40 chip there are actually 16
pipelines. Four of them are locked and they can be unlocked with
software. If you want to read a bit, go here:

http://firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_6800_unlocking/page2.asp