Geforce 6600 GT Problems

Noticeable stutters when playing some games, i.e. Falcon 4.0 Allied Force
with grapics sliders maxed. (Stutters also appear when sliders are reduced)
MSFS runs smoothly, with no stutters. Running processes are down to the
bare minimum.

I've also observed that video stutters seem to coinside with
stutters/scratches in the sound. Not sure which one causes the other,
though. I've uninstalled and reinstalled my sound card drivers (Sound
Blaster Live! 24Bit), but problem persists.

When I play streaming audio off online radio stations, I sometimes get these
small scratches or interruptions in the sound. Ingame sounds sometimes
suffers from these scratches, and it seems to also after the graphics, as
I'll sometimes get little stutters when this happens.

I have an Asus P5GDI motherboard, with an Intel 915P Express Chipset. I've
had the same problems with earlier versions or my vid card. Now, I'm on ver
7.1.8.1.

Any thoughts, guys? Could it the motherboard? Or perhaps the sound card?
My graphic settings are currently: Antialiasing - 4x, and Anisotropic
filtering - 4x. 128mb RAM on the card.

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

That's why I hate Creative sound blasters. It's called PCI bus hogging.
Try downloading a program called PCI-Latency.exe. With that you can lower
the amount of cycles the sound card uses the bus.

DaveL

"Paul O. Morris" <pomorris@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Noticeable stutters when playing some games, i.e. Falcon 4.0 Allied Force
> with grapics sliders maxed. (Stutters also appear when sliders are
> reduced) MSFS runs smoothly, with no stutters. Running processes are down
> to the bare minimum.
>
> I've also observed that video stutters seem to coinside with
> stutters/scratches in the sound. Not sure which one causes the other,
> though. I've uninstalled and reinstalled my sound card drivers (Sound
> Blaster Live! 24Bit), but problem persists.
>
> When I play streaming audio off online radio stations, I sometimes get
> these small scratches or interruptions in the sound. Ingame sounds
> sometimes suffers from these scratches, and it seems to also after the
> graphics, as I'll sometimes get little stutters when this happens.
>
> I have an Asus P5GDI motherboard, with an Intel 915P Express Chipset.
> I've had the same problems with earlier versions or my vid card. Now, I'm
> on ver 7.1.8.1.
>
> Any thoughts, guys? Could it the motherboard? Or perhaps the sound card?
> My graphic settings are currently: Antialiasing - 4x, and Anisotropic
> filtering - 4x. 128mb RAM on the card.

I've downloaded the tool, but what's the ideal level to set things at?
Also, is this a particular problem with Sound Blaster cards?

"DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
> That's why I hate Creative sound blasters. It's called PCI bus hogging.
> Try downloading a program called PCI-Latency.exe. With that you can lower
> the amount of cycles the sound card uses the bus.
>
> DaveL
>

> "Paul O. Morris" <pomorris@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Noticeable stutters when playing some games, i.e. Falcon 4.0 Allied Force
>> with grapics sliders maxed. (Stutters also appear when sliders are
>> reduced) MSFS runs smoothly, with no stutters. Running processes are
>> down to the bare minimum.
>>
>> I've also observed that video stutters seem to coinside with
>> stutters/scratches in the sound. Not sure which one causes the other,
>> though. I've uninstalled and reinstalled my sound card drivers (Sound
>> Blaster Live! 24Bit), but problem persists.
>>
>> When I play streaming audio off online radio stations, I sometimes get
>> these small scratches or interruptions in the sound. Ingame sounds
>> sometimes suffers from these scratches, and it seems to also after the
>> graphics, as I'll sometimes get little stutters when this happens.
>>
>> I have an Asus P5GDI motherboard, with an Intel 915P Express Chipset.
>> I've had the same problems with earlier versions or my vid card. Now,
>> I'm on ver 7.1.8.1.
>>
>> Any thoughts, guys? Could it the motherboard? Or perhaps the sound card?
>> My graphic settings are currently: Antialiasing - 4x, and Anisotropic
>> filtering - 4x. 128mb RAM on the card.

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

At what setting is the sound card at already? Unfortunately all I know is
to try lower settings for it, like 32.

> I've downloaded the tool, but what's the ideal level to set things at?
> Also, is this a particular problem with Sound Blaster cards?
>

> "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> That's why I hate Creative sound blasters. It's called PCI bus hogging.
>> Try downloading a program called PCI-Latency.exe. With that you can
>> lower the amount of cycles the sound card uses the bus.
>>
>> DaveL
>>

>> "Paul O. Morris" <pomorris@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Noticeable stutters when playing some games, i.e. Falcon 4.0 Allied
>>> Force with grapics sliders maxed. (Stutters also appear when sliders are
>>> reduced) MSFS runs smoothly, with no stutters. Running processes are
>>> down to the bare minimum.
>>>
>>> I've also observed that video stutters seem to coinside with
>>> stutters/scratches in the sound. Not sure which one causes the other,
>>> though. I've uninstalled and reinstalled my sound card drivers (Sound
>>> Blaster Live! 24Bit), but problem persists.
>>>
>>> When I play streaming audio off online radio stations, I sometimes get
>>> these small scratches or interruptions in the sound. Ingame sounds
>>> sometimes suffers from these scratches, and it seems to also after the
>>> graphics, as I'll sometimes get little stutters when this happens.
>>>
>>> I have an Asus P5GDI motherboard, with an Intel 915P Express Chipset.
>>> I've had the same problems with earlier versions or my vid card. Now,
>>> I'm on ver 7.1.8.1.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts, guys? Could it the motherboard? Or perhaps the sound
>>> card? My graphic settings are currently: Antialiasing - 4x, and
>>> Anisotropic filtering - 4x. 128mb RAM on the card.

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

I forgot to mention that you should try the sound card in another slot.

DaveL

"Paul O. Morris" <pomorris@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I've downloaded the tool, but what's the ideal level to set things at?
> Also, is this a particular problem with Sound Blaster cards?
>

> "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> That's why I hate Creative sound blasters. It's called PCI bus hogging.
>> Try downloading a program called PCI-Latency.exe. With that you can
>> lower the amount of cycles the sound card uses the bus.
>>
>> DaveL
>>

>> "Paul O. Morris" <pomorris@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Noticeable stutters when playing some games, i.e. Falcon 4.0 Allied
>>> Force with grapics sliders maxed. (Stutters also appear when sliders are
>>> reduced) MSFS runs smoothly, with no stutters. Running processes are
>>> down to the bare minimum.
>>>
>>> I've also observed that video stutters seem to coinside with
>>> stutters/scratches in the sound. Not sure which one causes the other,
>>> though. I've uninstalled and reinstalled my sound card drivers (Sound
>>> Blaster Live! 24Bit), but problem persists.
>>>
>>> When I play streaming audio off online radio stations, I sometimes get
>>> these small scratches or interruptions in the sound. Ingame sounds
>>> sometimes suffers from these scratches, and it seems to also after the
>>> graphics, as I'll sometimes get little stutters when this happens.
>>>
>>> I have an Asus P5GDI motherboard, with an Intel 915P Express Chipset.
>>> I've had the same problems with earlier versions or my vid card. Now,
>>> I'm on ver 7.1.8.1.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts, guys? Could it the motherboard? Or perhaps the sound
>>> card? My graphic settings are currently: Antialiasing - 4x, and
>>> Anisotropic filtering - 4x. 128mb RAM on the card.

I'm curious to know whether this issue is also related to the software being
run. I have no problems running MSFS. Issue crops up in other games,
however.

"DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
> That's why I hate Creative sound blasters. It's called PCI bus hogging.
> Try downloading a program called PCI-Latency.exe. With that you can lower
> the amount of cycles the sound card uses the bus.
>
> DaveL
>

> "Paul O. Morris" <pomorris@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Noticeable stutters when playing some games, i.e. Falcon 4.0 Allied Force
>> with grapics sliders maxed. (Stutters also appear when sliders are
>> reduced) MSFS runs smoothly, with no stutters. Running processes are
>> down to the bare minimum.
>>
>> I've also observed that video stutters seem to coinside with
>> stutters/scratches in the sound. Not sure which one causes the other,
>> though. I've uninstalled and reinstalled my sound card drivers (Sound
>> Blaster Live! 24Bit), but problem persists.
>>
>> When I play streaming audio off online radio stations, I sometimes get
>> these small scratches or interruptions in the sound. Ingame sounds
>> sometimes suffers from these scratches, and it seems to also after the
>> graphics, as I'll sometimes get little stutters when this happens.
>>
>> I have an Asus P5GDI motherboard, with an Intel 915P Express Chipset.
>> I've had the same problems with earlier versions or my vid card. Now,
>> I'm on ver 7.1.8.1.
>>
>> Any thoughts, guys? Could it the motherboard? Or perhaps the sound card?
>> My graphic settings are currently: Antialiasing - 4x, and Anisotropic
>> filtering - 4x. 128mb RAM on the card.

I've tried it at 16 before, but same issues. It's currently at 64.

I've downloaded this other tool called Powerstrip, which appears to offer
additional options. I'm not sure I can do what I need to with this freeware
version, though. I may have to pony-up the $30 to get full usability.

Good idea regarding trying another slot for the sound card.

> At what setting is the sound card at already? Unfortunately all I know is
> to try lower settings for it, like 32.
>
> DaveL
>

> "Paul O. Morris" <pomorris@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I've downloaded the tool, but what's the ideal level to set things at?
>> Also, is this a particular problem with Sound Blaster cards?
>>

>> "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> That's why I hate Creative sound blasters. It's called PCI bus hogging.
>>> Try downloading a program called PCI-Latency.exe. With that you can
>>> lower the amount of cycles the sound card uses the bus.
>>>
>>> DaveL
>>>

>>> "Paul O. Morris" <pomorris@comcast.net> wrote in message

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 16:43:26 -0700, "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote:

>That's why I hate Creative sound blasters. It's called PCI bus hogging.
>Try downloading a program called PCI-Latency.exe. With that you can lower
>the amount of cycles the sound card uses the bus.
>
>DaveL

Well the Creative cards have one of the lowest CPU use (about 4%) than most
other sound card, (around 20%) but he is using a older card from the name of
it.

Plus get the latest Drivers for the Card, Creative has a Auto update mode that
works for me..

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 19:04:01 -0400, "Paul O. Morris" <pomorris@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Noticeable stutters when playing some games, i.e. Falcon 4.0 Allied Force
>with grapics sliders maxed. (Stutters also appear when sliders are reduced)
>MSFS runs smoothly, with no stutters. Running processes are down to the
>bare minimum.
>
>I've also observed that video stutters seem to coinside with
>stutters/scratches in the sound. Not sure which one causes the other,
>though. I've uninstalled and reinstalled my sound card drivers (Sound
>Blaster Live! 24Bit), but problem persists.
>
>When I play streaming audio off online radio stations, I sometimes get these
>small scratches or interruptions in the sound. Ingame sounds sometimes
>suffers from these scratches, and it seems to also after the graphics, as
>I'll sometimes get little stutters when this happens.
>
>I have an Asus P5GDI motherboard, with an Intel 915P Express Chipset. I've
>had the same problems with earlier versions or my vid card. Now, I'm on ver
>7.1.8.1.
>
>Any thoughts, guys? Could it the motherboard? Or perhaps the sound card?
>My graphic settings are currently: Antialiasing - 4x, and Anisotropic
>filtering - 4x. 128mb RAM on the card.

Don't forget to try the FAQ's on the Creative web site..