Newer video cards with 8KHA+

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Are the newer AGP 4x or 8x cards compatible with older m'board like mine
that support AGP 2.0?

Thanks.

rene

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Lee M." <lmacmil@forget_it.com> schreef in bericht
> Are the newer AGP 4x or 8x cards compatible with older m'board like mine
> that support AGP 2.0?

Manufacturers will say they all are, but in practice one can not always be
sure. I have had many problems with GF4200 and Asus A7V; no booting up
anymore (not even POST I mean). Some googling back then turned out that were
quite a lot of people who had those kinds of problems. I must admit that
this was one of the first AGP3.0 cards available (and very rapidly all 2.0
cards were sold out so I was "forced" to buy it), perhaps the compatibility
issue has been totally gotten rid of by now.

Sincerely,
Rene

Rene wrote:
> "Lee M." <lmacmil@forget_it.com> schreef in bericht
>
>>Are the newer AGP 4x or 8x cards compatible with older m'board like mine
>>that support AGP 2.0?
>

> Manufacturers will say they all are, but in practice one can not always be
> sure. I have had many problems with GF4200 and Asus A7V; no booting up
> anymore (not even POST I mean). Some googling back then turned out that were
> quite a lot of people who had those kinds of problems. I must admit that
> this was one of the first AGP3.0 cards available (and very rapidly all 2.0
> cards were sold out so I was "forced" to buy it), perhaps the compatibility
> issue has been totally gotten rid of by now.
>
> Sincerely,
> Rene

The Geforce 4 had WIDESPREAD quality control issues across the various
manufacturers. Several brands, including Asus, may exhibit flashing
green lines or artifacting with early BIOS revisions. Motherboard
incompatibility was a big issue also. I remember several manufacturers
updating BIOS's specifically for it.

I can say that a Jaton Geforce FX 5600, Leadtek GF3 TI200, and Leadtek
GF2 Ultra do work just fine in an 8HKA+ (my brother's system).