Administrator Capabilities

johnkuz

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
How do I become the "Administrator" of my computer. I bought an Acer laptop from Best Buys in the springtime. It was "pre-setup" by them. Every time I try do something of significance I get a message that, " You are not authorized to make these changes. Contact your administrator". Thank you.

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

It is not possible to "become" an administrator if you are an ordinary user account. That is actually an important security feature.

What you must have is the password for one of the Administrator accounts that must exist on the computer. There is likely a disabled account called "Administrator" and one new account with membership of the local group Administrators. This password has been set up by the company that installed your computer and if you did not get the password with other documents you should contact them now to retrieve it.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You can also reinstall Windows 7 and set yourself up as the administrator. I am surprised that Best Buy sold you a system where you aren't the administrator.

I would suggest you take the system into their support desk and have them fix for you. Let the Geek Squad be geeks for you. That should be a freebie on their part.