6800GT Display Corrupt for a few seconds after installing

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 20, 2005 1:23:34 AM

I just installed a new 6800GT 256Mb AGP video card and when I started the
computer the BIOS display was fine. Howver as the Windows XP splash screen
appeared some red blocks started appearing on the screen. I restarted the
computer and now everything is OK. Should I be worried? I have since
played Doom3 without issue.

Thanks,
Andy
July 20, 2005 2:36:00 AM

Update: I have upped the settings on Doom3 to Ultra and not seen any issues.

Was the temporary display corruption which occured immediately after
installing anything to worry about?

Thanks

Andy
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 2:36:01 AM

"Andrew" <andrewportess@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
> Update: I have upped the settings on Doom3 to Ultra and not seen any
> issues.
> Was the temporary display corruption which occured immediately after
> installing anything to worry about?
>
> Thanks
>
> Andy

Brand spanking new vid ram and registers clearing out. I've seen a few
cards do that I've had lying around for a while too. Normally, after
the first powerup, I don't see any of that again. I don't recall my own
6800 GT AGP doing the like, but I wouldn't have been alarmed unless I
saw it repeating what looks like corrupted video on subsequent boots.
McG.
July 20, 2005 2:37:15 AM

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 21:23:34 +0100, "Andrew"
<andrewportess@nospamhotmail.com> wrote:

>I just installed a new 6800GT 256Mb AGP video card and when I started the
>computer the BIOS display was fine. Howver as the Windows XP splash screen
>appeared some red blocks started appearing on the screen. I restarted the
>computer and now everything is OK. Should I be worried? I have since
>played Doom3 without issue.
>
>Thanks,
>Andy

I got something similar with an ATi card...only manifested itself with
3D games.

I recon that the paste between the GPU and HSF was not too well
applied (GPU got hot and produced artifacts) but spread when warm and
all is well.

I wouldn't worry if the card behaves well now.

--
Cheers,

Guy

July 20, 2005 2:46:26 AM

"Dr Teeth" <no.email.here.please@tardis.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 21:23:34 +0100, "Andrew"
> <andrewportess@nospamhotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I just installed a new 6800GT 256Mb AGP video card and when I started the
>>computer the BIOS display was fine. Howver as the Windows XP splash
>>screen
>>appeared some red blocks started appearing on the screen. I restarted the
>>computer and now everything is OK. Should I be worried? I have since
>>played Doom3 without issue.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Andy
>
> I got something similar with an ATi card...only manifested itself with
> 3D games.
>
> I recon that the paste between the GPU and HSF was not too well
> applied (GPU got hot and produced artifacts) but spread when warm and
> all is well.
>
> I wouldn't worry if the card behaves well now.

Comments much appreciated. Guess I am a little nervous because the last
6800GT I installed was completely screwed; corruption was blatantly evident
and I couldn't even get into Windows.

Thanks,
Andy
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 2:46:27 AM

> "Dr Teeth" <no.email.here.please@tardis.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 21:23:34 +0100, "Andrew"
>> <andrewportess@nospamhotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I just installed a new 6800GT 256Mb AGP video card and when I
>>> started the computer the BIOS display was fine. Howver as the
>>> Windows XP splash screen
>>> appeared some red blocks started appearing on the screen. I
>>> restarted the computer and now everything is OK. Should I be
>>> worried? I have since played Doom3 without issue.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Andy
>>
>> I got something similar with an ATi card...only manifested itself
>> with 3D games.
>>
>> I recon that the paste between the GPU and HSF was not too well
>> applied (GPU got hot and produced artifacts) but spread when warm and
>> all is well.
>>
>> I wouldn't worry if the card behaves well now.
>>

> Comments much appreciated. Guess I am a little nervous because the
> last 6800GT I installed was completely screwed; corruption was
> blatantly evident and I couldn't even get into Windows.
>
> Thanks,
> Andy

An afterthought, in the nvidia driver applet, check the temps. Mine is
running 65C right now and I've just booted the rig up on getting home
(kinda warm here yet). Ambient is 44C.
McG.
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 3:29:44 AM

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 22:01:58 GMT, "McGrandpa"
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

>Brand spanking new vid ram and registers clearing out.

Unpowered ram has something to clean out?

--
Cheers,

Guy

July 20, 2005 4:48:49 AM

> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 22:01:58 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Brand spanking new vid ram and registers clearing out.
>
> Unpowered ram has something to clean out?

Changing state. Like bits should have all been 0 but some are 1? In
over 20 years of playing with this stuff, I've seen stranger things.
And, when you put power to it, if the bits states aren't all default
state? Clears to default I'd think. Most of us know very little of
what actually goes on down there at the transistor level. Got a better
thought about it? I'm all ears :)
McG.
!