6800GT Display Corrupt for a few seconds after installing

I just installed a new 6800GT 256Mb AGP video card and when I started the
computer the BIOS display was fine. Howver as the Windows XP splash screen
appeared some red blocks started appearing on the screen. I restarted the
computer and now everything is OK. Should I be worried? I have since
played Doom3 without issue.

Thanks,
Andy
7 answers Last reply
More about 6800gt display corrupt seconds installing

    Update: I have upped the settings on Doom3 to Ultra and not seen any issues.

    Was the temporary display corruption which occured immediately after
    installing anything to worry about?

    Thanks

    Andy

    "Andrew" <andrewportess@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Update: I have upped the settings on Doom3 to Ultra and not seen any
    > issues.
    > Was the temporary display corruption which occured immediately after
    > installing anything to worry about?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Andy

    Brand spanking new vid ram and registers clearing out. I've seen a few
    cards do that I've had lying around for a while too. Normally, after
    the first powerup, I don't see any of that again. I don't recall my own
    6800 GT AGP doing the like, but I wouldn't have been alarmed unless I
    saw it repeating what looks like corrupted video on subsequent boots.
    McG.

    On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 21:23:34 +0100, "Andrew"
    <andrewportess@nospamhotmail.com> wrote:

    >I just installed a new 6800GT 256Mb AGP video card and when I started the
    >computer the BIOS display was fine. Howver as the Windows XP splash screen
    >appeared some red blocks started appearing on the screen. I restarted the
    >computer and now everything is OK. Should I be worried? I have since
    >played Doom3 without issue.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Andy

    I got something similar with an ATi card...only manifested itself with
    3D games.

    I recon that the paste between the GPU and HSF was not too well
    applied (GPU got hot and produced artifacts) but spread when warm and
    all is well.

    I wouldn't worry if the card behaves well now.

    --
    Cheers,

    Guy

    "Dr Teeth" <no.email.here.please@tardis.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 21:23:34 +0100, "Andrew"
    > <andrewportess@nospamhotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I just installed a new 6800GT 256Mb AGP video card and when I started the
    >>computer the BIOS display was fine. Howver as the Windows XP splash
    >>screen
    >>appeared some red blocks started appearing on the screen. I restarted the
    >>computer and now everything is OK. Should I be worried? I have since
    >>played Doom3 without issue.
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>Andy
    >
    > I got something similar with an ATi card...only manifested itself with
    > 3D games.
    >
    > I recon that the paste between the GPU and HSF was not too well
    > applied (GPU got hot and produced artifacts) but spread when warm and
    > all is well.
    >
    > I wouldn't worry if the card behaves well now.

    Comments much appreciated. Guess I am a little nervous because the last
    6800GT I installed was completely screwed; corruption was blatantly evident
    and I couldn't even get into Windows.

    > "Dr Teeth" <no.email.here.please@tardis.com> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 21:23:34 +0100, "Andrew"
    >> <andrewportess@nospamhotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I just installed a new 6800GT 256Mb AGP video card and when I
    >>> started the computer the BIOS display was fine. Howver as the
    >>> Windows XP splash screen
    >>> appeared some red blocks started appearing on the screen. I
    >>> restarted the computer and now everything is OK. Should I be
    >>> worried? I have since played Doom3 without issue.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Andy
    >>
    >> I got something similar with an ATi card...only manifested itself
    >> with 3D games.
    >>
    >> I recon that the paste between the GPU and HSF was not too well
    >> applied (GPU got hot and produced artifacts) but spread when warm and
    >> all is well.
    >>
    >> I wouldn't worry if the card behaves well now.
    >>

    > Comments much appreciated. Guess I am a little nervous because the
    > last 6800GT I installed was completely screwed; corruption was
    > blatantly evident and I couldn't even get into Windows.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Andy

    An afterthought, in the nvidia driver applet, check the temps. Mine is
    running 65C right now and I've just booted the rig up on getting home
    (kinda warm here yet). Ambient is 44C.
    McG.

    On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 22:01:58 GMT, "McGrandpa"
    <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

    >Brand spanking new vid ram and registers clearing out.

    Unpowered ram has something to clean out?

    --

    > On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 22:01:58 GMT, "McGrandpa"
    > <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Brand spanking new vid ram and registers clearing out.
    >
    > Unpowered ram has something to clean out?

    Changing state. Like bits should have all been 0 but some are 1? In
    over 20 years of playing with this stuff, I've seen stranger things.
    And, when you put power to it, if the bits states aren't all default
    state? Clears to default I'd think. Most of us know very little of
    what actually goes on down there at the transistor level. Got a better
    thought about it? I'm all ears :)
    McG.

Nvidia Computer Graphics Displays