Disappointing video playback over 802.11g network

I have set up a wireless network using 3com 11g gateway
and USB adapter, and tried to access and play back a
mpeg2 vdieo file (DVD standard) on one computer from the
other one over the network, which turned out to be very
disappointing as the playback was not smooth at all. It
cannot handle <10mbps data rate although the speed of a
802.11g network is supposed to be 54mbps?

Before the setup, I actually thought I may be able to do
HDTV playback over the network!! Any thoughts/expert
opinions on how to optimize the network and do the job
properly please? Is there some special software to do
this?
4 answers Last reply
More about disappointing video playback network

    Hi there Mick,

    If have the encrption turned ON on router, then you may consider disabling
    it tentatively.

    HTH
    Venkatesh

    "Mick" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have set up a wireless network using 3com 11g gateway
    > and USB adapter, and tried to access and play back a
    > mpeg2 vdieo file (DVD standard) on one computer from the
    > other one over the network, which turned out to be very
    > disappointing as the playback was not smooth at all. It
    > cannot handle <10mbps data rate although the speed of a
    > 802.11g network is supposed to be 54mbps?
    >
    > Before the setup, I actually thought I may be able to do
    > HDTV playback over the network!! Any thoughts/expert
    > opinions on how to optimize the network and do the job
    > properly please? Is there some special software to do
    > this?

    Thanks Venkatesh. All encryption was off. The PCs are about 20 feets apart.
    I saw a usually 24-36mbps connection.

    "Venkatesh [MCSD]" <anonymous@support.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > Hi there Mick,
    >
    > If have the encrption turned ON on router, then you may consider disabling
    > it tentatively.
    >
    > HTH
    > Venkatesh
    >

    > "Mick" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I have set up a wireless network using 3com 11g gateway
    > > and USB adapter, and tried to access and play back a
    > > mpeg2 vdieo file (DVD standard) on one computer from the
    > > other one over the network, which turned out to be very
    > > disappointing as the playback was not smooth at all. It
    > > cannot handle <10mbps data rate although the speed of a
    > > 802.11g network is supposed to be 54mbps?
    > >
    > > Before the setup, I actually thought I may be able to do
    > > HDTV playback over the network!! Any thoughts/expert
    > > opinions on how to optimize the network and do the job
    > > properly please? Is there some special software to do
    > > this?

    Hi again Mick,

    Make sure you have the updated drivers for the wireless adapters. In
    addition, signals may be affected by cordless fones, microwaves, large metal
    objects, large containers of water [fish tanks], walls etc. Therefore, try
    eliminating these hurdles if u have any.........

    HTH
    Venkatesh

    "Mick" <mick@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks Venkatesh. All encryption was off. The PCs are about 20 feets
    apart.
    > I saw a usually 24-36mbps connection.
    >
    > "Venkatesh [MCSD]" <anonymous@support.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >

    > > Hi there Mick,
    > >
    > > If have the encrption turned ON on router, then you may consider
    disabling
    > > it tentatively.
    > >
    > > HTH
    > > Venkatesh
    > >

    > > "Mick" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I have set up a wireless network using 3com 11g gateway
    > > > and USB adapter, and tried to access and play back a
    > > > mpeg2 vdieo file (DVD standard) on one computer from the
    > > > other one over the network, which turned out to be very
    > > > disappointing as the playback was not smooth at all. It
    > > > cannot handle <10mbps data rate although the speed of a
    > > > 802.11g network is supposed to be 54mbps?
    > > >
    > > > Before the setup, I actually thought I may be able to do
    > > > HDTV playback over the network!! Any thoughts/expert
    > > > opinions on how to optimize the network and do the job
    > > > properly please? Is there some special software to do
    > > > this?

    I have tried everything. I don't use 2.4Ghz cordless
    phone, no large metal object apart from my TV. The
    technology is just unstable, I can't even make it smooth
    when I am testing it putting my PC with the USB adapter
    just 1 foot next to the wireless router. I have to
    conclude that it is not a proper way to link up a media
    centre with other devices, whether in terms of speed or
    stability.

    wrote in message

    >> > Hi there Mick,
    >> >
    >> > If have the encrption turned ON on router, then you
    may consider
    >disabling
    >> > it tentatively.
    >> >
    >> > HTH