are nvidia serious about no more agp

apparently nvidia arent planning a on having an agp 7800, im sure its just
so they can clear their 6800 stock but it is a little concerning that the
expect people to upgrade their whole system just for a graphics card.

under a year ago i dont think you could even buy a sensibly priced
pci-express board and i doubt any agp amd64 rig would discrase a 7800 card

i guess the good bit is theirs so few pci-expess buyers that prices are in
free fall and the depressing effect on the remaining 6800 should shift
quickly
47 answers Last reply
More about nvidia

    epaton wrote:

    > apparently nvidia arent planning a on having an agp 7800, im sure its just
    > so they can clear their 6800 stock but it is a little concerning that the
    > expect people to upgrade their whole system just for a graphics card.

    It's Intel that expects that. They're the ones trying to cram PCI-Express
    down everybody's throat. And they're succeeding.

    > under a year ago i dont think you could even buy a sensibly priced
    > pci-express board and i doubt any agp amd64 rig would discrase a 7800 card
    >
    > i guess the good bit is theirs so few pci-expess buyers that prices are in
    > free fall and the depressing effect on the remaining 6800 should shift
    > quickly

    "So few PCI Express buyers"? Try to find a new name-brand machine with AGP.
    There may be a few out there but they're rare.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    In article <dbmqam01aj@news4.newsguy.com>,
    jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid says...
    > epaton wrote:
    >
    > > apparently nvidia arent planning a on having an agp 7800, im sure its just
    > > so they can clear their 6800 stock but it is a little concerning that the
    > > expect people to upgrade their whole system just for a graphics card.
    >
    > It's Intel that expects that. They're the ones trying to cram PCI-Express
    > down everybody's throat. And they're succeeding.
    >
    > > under a year ago i dont think you could even buy a sensibly priced
    > > pci-express board and i doubt any agp amd64 rig would discrase a 7800 card
    > >
    > > i guess the good bit is theirs so few pci-expess buyers that prices are in
    > > free fall and the depressing effect on the remaining 6800 should shift
    > > quickly
    >
    > "So few PCI Express buyers"? Try to find a new name-brand machine with AGP.
    > There may be a few out there but they're rare.

    Do you have any idea as to what percentage of the new PCs being sold
    actually use plug in pci-express cards instead of built in/on board
    graphics? Everybody I know that's buying new PCs are getting bottom
    feeder boxes for their kids.

    Bill

    Bill wrote:

    > In article <dbmqam01aj@news4.newsguy.com>,
    > jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid says...
    >> epaton wrote:
    >>
    >> > apparently nvidia arent planning a on having an agp 7800, im sure its
    >> > just so they can clear their 6800 stock but it is a little concerning
    >> > that the expect people to upgrade their whole system just for a
    >> > graphics card.
    >>
    >> It's Intel that expects that. They're the ones trying to cram
    >> PCI-Express
    >> down everybody's throat. And they're succeeding.
    >>
    >> > under a year ago i dont think you could even buy a sensibly priced
    >> > pci-express board and i doubt any agp amd64 rig would discrase a 7800
    >> > card
    >> >
    >> > i guess the good bit is theirs so few pci-expess buyers that prices are
    >> > in free fall and the depressing effect on the remaining 6800 should
    >> > shift quickly
    >>
    >> "So few PCI Express buyers"? Try to find a new name-brand machine with
    >> AGP. There may be a few out there but they're rare.
    >>

    > Do you have any idea as to what percentage of the new PCs being sold
    > actually use plug in pci-express cards instead of built in/on board
    > graphics? Everybody I know that's buying new PCs are getting bottom
    > feeder boxes for their kids.

    Doesn't matter. If most of the machines being sold have PCI Express then
    there is no market for AGP upgrades for those machines. Or are you unaware
    that in general machines with PCI Express do not have an AGP slot?

    --

    In article <dbn1c60983@news2.newsguy.com>,
    jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid says...
    > Bill wrote:
    >
    > > In article <dbmqam01aj@news4.newsguy.com>,
    > > jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid says...

    > >> It's Intel that expects that. They're the ones trying to cram
    > >> PCI-Express
    > >> down everybody's throat. And they're succeeding.

    > >> "So few PCI Express buyers"? Try to find a new name-brand machine with
    > >> AGP. There may be a few out there but they're rare.
    > >>

    > > Do you have any idea as to what percentage of the new PCs being sold
    > > actually use plug in pci-express cards instead of built in/on board
    > > graphics? Everybody I know that's buying new PCs are getting bottom
    > > feeder boxes for their kids.
    >
    > Doesn't matter. If most of the machines being sold have PCI Express then
    > there is no market for AGP upgrades for those machines. Or are you unaware
    > that in general machines with PCI Express do not have an AGP slot?
    >
    > > Bill

    Yup, I'm aware of that. I'm also aware that some bottom feeder PCs
    with built in AGP graphics chips have no AGP slot for a card. Can't
    upgrade those either.

    So do all the new PCs with built in graphics chips have pci-express
    graphics slots in them?

    Bill

    "Everybody" you know? 80% of OEM boxes are sold to businesses. It doesn't
    matter if they use integrated graphics. If the mobo has an PCIe slot and no
    AGP slot, then there's no possibility of upgrading to an AGP video card for
    those machines.

    Retail sales are quite insignificant compared to OEM sales. Remember not so
    long ago when X800XT cards were in tight supply? ATi openly acknowledged
    most of the cards were being funneled to the likes of Dell (for its high-end
    XPS machines) and Alienware.

    "Bill" <spamtrap@tinlc.lumbercartel.com> wrote in message
    > Do you have any idea as to what percentage of the new PCs being sold
    > actually use plug in pci-express cards instead of built in/on board
    > graphics? Everybody I know that's buying new PCs are getting bottom
    > feeder boxes for their kids.
    >
    > Bill

    It's not as bad as you think. Replacing the mobo costs $150. The CPU and RAM
    carry over. Meanwhile you are dumping $500 on a 7800. It's all a matter of
    perspective, when the video card accounts for half the cost of the
    machine...

    Bill wrote:

    > In article <dbn1c60983@news2.newsguy.com>,
    > jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid says...
    >> Bill wrote:
    >>
    >> > In article <dbmqam01aj@news4.newsguy.com>,
    >> > jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid says...

    >> > Do you have any idea as to what percentage of the new PCs being sold
    >> > actually use plug in pci-express cards instead of built in/on board
    >> > graphics? Everybody I know that's buying new PCs are getting bottom
    >> > feeder boxes for their kids.
    >>
    >> Doesn't matter. If most of the machines being sold have PCI Express then
    >> there is no market for AGP upgrades for those machines. Or are you
    >> unaware that in general machines with PCI Express do not have an AGP
    >> slot?
    >>
    >> > Bill
    >>

    > Yup, I'm aware of that. I'm also aware that some bottom feeder PCs
    > with built in AGP graphics chips have no AGP slot for a card. Can't
    > upgrade those either.

    You are not grokking the concept. It is not that one cannot upgrade PCI
    Express machines, it is that even the most sophisticated ones cannot take
    an AGP board. You can have AGP in a machine or you can have PCI Express,
    but you can't have both unless you're willing to settle for one or two
    really oddball Taiwanese motherboards of dubious stability.

    > So do all the new PCs with built in graphics chips have pci-express
    > graphics slots in them?

    There is no such thing as a "PCI Express graphics slot" any more than there
    is a "PCI graphics slot". PCI Express is intended to be the successor to
    PCI as well as AGP. As for "all the new PCs", there are "new PCs" that
    don't have _any_ slots. So what?

    I don't really understand what point you think you're making. If it is your
    contention that the existence of machines with video built into the chipset
    means that no PCI Express video boards are being sold, then consider that
    that same argument applies to AGP. So by your reasoning no video boards of
    any kind are being sold and I guess that ATI and nvidia both need to
    declare bankruptcy.

    If nvidia thought that there was any kind of major market for an AGP 7800,
    do you think that they are too stupid to recognize the fact? They have
    access to accurate sales figures for AGP vs PCI Express GPUs--they sell
    both and one may assume that they know how many of each they have sold.

    By the way, if there were "few PCI Express buyers" then the prices would not
    be "in free fall". In electronics "free fall" comes from the economies of
    scale that occur with high sales volume. By the reasoning that "free fall"
    indicates lack of popularity one could argue that nobody uses 100TX or wifi
    or gigabit or 250 gig disks or LCD monitors or myriad other components. It
    costs almost the same to make a million chips as it does to make one
    chip--most of the cost is in the setup. So the more chips you make the
    lower the cost per chip will be.

    --

    "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote

    > You can have AGP in a machine or you can have PCI Express,
    > but you can't have both unless you're willing to settle for one or two
    > really oddball Taiwanese motherboards of dubious stability.

    Take a look at this little baby:

    http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2471

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.

    In article <dbndlv01c8p@news3.newsguy.com>,
    jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid says...
    > Bill wrote:
    >
    > > In article <dbn1c60983@news2.newsguy.com>,
    > > jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid says...

    > >> Doesn't matter. If most of the machines being sold have PCI Express then
    > >> there is no market for AGP upgrades for those machines. Or are you
    > >> unaware that in general machines with PCI Express do not have an AGP
    > >> slot?

    > > Yup, I'm aware of that. I'm also aware that some bottom feeder PCs
    > > with built in AGP graphics chips have no AGP slot for a card. Can't
    > > upgrade those either.
    >
    > You are not grokking the concept.

    I grok the concept. You haven't answered my question. I repeat. Do you
    have any idea as to what percentage of the new PCs being sold actually
    use plug in pci-express cards instead of built in/on board graphics?

    > It is not that one cannot upgrade PCI
    > Express machines, it is that even the most sophisticated ones cannot take
    > an AGP board. You can have AGP in a machine or you can have PCI Express,
    > but you can't have both unless you're willing to settle for one or two
    > really oddball Taiwanese motherboards of dubious stability.
    >
    > > So do all the new PCs with built in graphics chips have pci-express
    > > graphics slots in them?
    >
    > There is no such thing as a "PCI Express graphics slot" any more than there
    > is a "PCI graphics slot".

    So you can stick a pci-express graphics card into any pci-express slot
    and get full performance out of it. Cool.

    > PCI Express is intended to be the successor to
    > PCI as well as AGP. As for "all the new PCs", there are "new PCs" that
    > don't have _any_ slots. So what?

    Then they would have as little an upgrade path for graphics as the PCs
    sold with no AGP slots or pci-express slots able to take pci express
    graphics cards.

    > I don't really understand what point you think you're making.

    Actually I'm not trying to make any point. I was just seeking a datum
    out of curiousity. See above.

    > If it is your
    > contention that the existence of machines with video built into the chipset
    > means that no PCI Express video boards are being sold, then consider that
    > that same argument applies to AGP.

    I'm contending nothing, having insufficient data to do so.

    > So by your reasoning no video boards of
    > any kind are being sold and I guess that ATI and nvidia both need to
    > declare bankruptcy.

    I have said no such thing. Please don't put words in my mouth.

    > If nvidia thought that there was any kind of major market for an AGP 7800,
    > do you think that they are too stupid to recognize the fact?

    I think Nvidia is smart enough to make an AGP 7800 if they realize the
    market is there. I don't think they're stupid enough to pass up a
    profit if the profit is sizable enough. How may AGP 7800 do you think
    would have to be sold to make the issue of an AGP 7800 profitable?

    > They have
    > access to accurate sales figures for AGP vs PCI Express GPUs--they sell
    > both and one may assume that they know how many of each they have sold.

    They just may be waiting a while before they put out an AGP 7800, just
    like they waited to put out the AGP GeForce 6600.

    Below, I think you're replying to "eapton" not me. Check the
    attributions.

    > By the way, if there were "few PCI Express buyers" then the prices would not
    > be "in free fall". In electronics "free fall" comes from the economies of
    > scale that occur with high sales volume. By the reasoning that "free fall"
    > indicates lack of popularity one could argue that nobody uses 100TX or wifi
    > or gigabit or 250 gig disks or LCD monitors or myriad other components. It
    > costs almost the same to make a million chips as it does to make one
    > chip--most of the cost is in the setup. So the more chips you make the
    > lower the cost per chip will be.
    >
    > > Bill

    Bill

    it is not nvidia it is the companies that make the boards.
    if there is no market for agp it will be gone.

    In article <pan.2005.07.20.00.25.55.381605@null.com>, epaton says...
    > apparently nvidia arent planning a on having an agp 7800, im sure its just
    > so they can clear their 6800 stock but it is a little concerning that the
    > expect people to upgrade their whole system just for a graphics card.
    >

    > under a year ago i dont think you could even buy a sensibly priced
    > pci-express board and i doubt any agp amd64 rig would discrase a 7800 card
    >
    > i guess the good bit is theirs so few pci-expess buyers that prices are in
    > free fall and the depressing effect on the remaining 6800 should shift
    > quickly

    Err dumbass, AGP is dead. Good luck finding an AGP motherboard that
    supports the new CPUS.

    --
    Conor

  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote

    > Err dumbass, AGP is dead. Good luck finding an AGP motherboard that
    > supports the new CPUS.

    Sorry, um, tough guy. BIOS updates are flying fast and furiously. I'd be
    surprised if there are many nforce 3's that won't run x2's.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    In article <ElTDe.75424$Qo.38986@fed1read01>, nobody@nobody.there
    says...

    > "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote
    >

    > > Err dumbass, AGP is dead. Good luck finding an AGP motherboard that
    > > supports the new CPUS.
    >
    > Sorry, um, tough guy. BIOS updates are flying fast and furiously. I'd be
    > surprised if there are many nforce 3's that won't run x2's.

    Funny, I posting from a MB that supports dual core processors and it
    has an AGP card. An AV8 3rd Eye.

    Bill
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Conor wrote:
    > Err dumbass, AGP is dead. Good luck finding an AGP motherboard that
    > supports the new CPUS.

    But that is the problem.There aren't any new AGP boards for intel CPUs(
    there are many sck939 nForce3 and now the ULI hybrids) ,but there is
    still a big market of AGP based customers that will want to upgrade.
    I myself have a P4 2.8@3.2 , 1GB DDR400 and a 9700Pro. I don't need to
    upgrade yet but would like to in a few months and I have my eye on a
    7800 vanilla that is yet to be anounced.The card is rumored to be
    somewhere beetwen a 6800GT and Ultra but with some new improvements in
    video-processing and other things that would make it faster than the
    6800 series.
    I think AGP based 7800 cards are bound to show but we'll have to wait
    longer than for their PCI-E counterparts. But 7800GTX definitely won't
    be released in AGP.

    --
    Glitches are BAD!!!
    Beware...

    ICQ:275699535
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    there is a market for agp. as a matter of fact you can still find video
    cards that work on the old pci slot. No card manufacturer is that stupid to
    limit its sales.the problem is that maybe the agp will not have enough
    bandwith to handle the new top of the line video cards that sell for $500.
    we will probably see new video card that sell for under $300 with agp.

    "BigJim" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > it is not nvidia it is the companies that make the boards.
    > if there is no market for agp it will be gone.
    >
    > "epaton" <epaton@null.com> wrote in message
    >> apparently nvidia arent planning a on having an agp 7800, im sure its
    >> just
    >> so they can clear their 6800 stock but it is a little concerning that the
    >> expect people to upgrade their whole system just for a graphics card.
    >>

    >> under a year ago i dont think you could even buy a sensibly priced
    >> pci-express board and i doubt any agp amd64 rig would discrase a 7800
    >> card
    >>
    >> i guess the good bit is theirs so few pci-expess buyers that prices are
    >> in
    >> free fall and the depressing effect on the remaining 6800 should shift
    >> quickly

  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    The mobo is in a unique niche, though. It's useful only to people currently
    running AthlonXP processors wishing to upgrade to Athlon64, while keeping
    their current RAM and AGP video card.

    "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
    > Take a look at this little baby:
    >
    > http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2471
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    I agree to a point but have you seen any new pci old type cards be produced.
    "vinny" <vinny0505@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > there is a market for agp. as a matter of fact you can still find video
    > cards that work on the old pci slot. No card manufacturer is that stupid
    > to limit its sales.the problem is that maybe the agp will not have enough
    > bandwith to handle the new top of the line video cards that sell for $500.
    > we will probably see new video card that sell for under $300 with agp.
    >

    > "BigJim" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> it is not nvidia it is the companies that make the boards.
    >> if there is no market for agp it will be gone.
    >>
    >> "epaton" <epaton@null.com> wrote in message
    >>> apparently nvidia arent planning a on having an agp 7800, im sure its
    >>> just
    >>> so they can clear their 6800 stock but it is a little concerning that
    >>> the
    >>> expect people to upgrade their whole system just for a graphics card.
    >>>

    >>> under a year ago i dont think you could even buy a sensibly priced
    >>> pci-express board and i doubt any agp amd64 rig would discrase a 7800
    >>> card
    >>>
    >>> i guess the good bit is theirs so few pci-expess buyers that prices are
    >>> in
    >>> free fall and the depressing effect on the remaining 6800 should shift
    >>> quickly

  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > Err dumbass, AGP is dead. Good luck finding an AGP motherboard that
    > supports the new CPUS.

    yeah im the dumbass because i woulnt be buying a new pc every time i fancy
    running a graphics heavy game faster on my 8 month old pc, after all we
    know modern games are cpu limited dont we and fitting a fast graphics card
    to an even older system would make no difference too its gameing
    performance would it.

    pci-express offers little advantage over agp at the moment apart from sli,
    anantech just did a review with a board which had agp and pci-express and
    tested it pretty much shows agp aint bandwidth limited

    http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2471&p=8

    as to it being up to manufactures whether they produce agp versions cast
    their mind back to the release of the 6600's where all the manufactures
    released agp versions about the same time, a cynic might thing nvidia who
    produce the pciexpress/agp bridge could be holding onto them or enforcing
    some sort of contact clause.

    it getting to be a bit off a nonissue since theres deals with 7800gtx
    going for £280 its soon going to be so cheap upgrade costs will become a
    nonissue
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    In article <ElTDe.75424$Qo.38986@fed1read01>, Ed Light says...

    > "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote
    >

    > > Err dumbass, AGP is dead. Good luck finding an AGP motherboard that
    > > supports the new CPUS.
    >
    > Sorry, um, tough guy. BIOS updates are flying fast and furiously. I'd be
    > surprised if there are many nforce 3's that won't run x2's.

    Now try buying one.

    --
    Conor

  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > In article <ElTDe.75424$Qo.38986@fed1read01>, Ed Light says...
    >>
    >> "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote
    >>

    >> > Err dumbass, AGP is dead. Good luck finding an AGP motherboard that
    >> > supports the new CPUS.
    >>
    >> Sorry, um, tough guy. BIOS updates are flying fast and furiously. I'd be
    >> surprised if there are many nforce 3's that won't run x2's.
    >>
    > Now try buying one.

    newegg has 22 nforce 3 boards.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    In article <pan.2005.07.20.23.45.11.764179@null.com>, epaton says...

    > it getting to be a bit off a nonissue since theres deals with 7800gtx
    > going for £280 its soon going to be so cheap upgrade costs will become a
    > nonissue

    Precisely. And with a PCI-e motherboard available for £50 and your CPU,
    Ram and HDD carrying over, what is the problem? Just go but a new
    motherboard.

    --
    Conor

  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > In article <pan.2005.07.20.23.45.11.764179@null.com>, epaton says...
    >

    >> it getting to be a bit off a nonissue since theres deals with 7800gtx
    >> going for £280 its soon going to be so cheap upgrade costs will become a
    >> nonissue
    >>
    > Precisely. And with a PCI-e motherboard available for £50 and your CPU,
    > Ram and HDD carrying over, what is the problem? Just go but a new
    > motherboard.

    1. Costs money. Not all have it.
    2. Has few pci slots. Some have many pci cards to insert.
    3. What can you put in the little slots? They might as well not be there.
    4. PCI-e boards are still teething. You can be the guinea pig, or skip them
    this year.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    In article <Jr7Ee.90680$Qo.16649@fed1read01>, Ed Light says...

    > "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > In article <pan.2005.07.20.23.45.11.764179@null.com>, epaton says...
    > >

    > >> it getting to be a bit off a nonissue since theres deals with 7800gtx
    > >> going for £280 its soon going to be so cheap upgrade costs will become a
    > >> nonissue
    > >>
    > > Precisely. And with a PCI-e motherboard available for £50 and your CPU,
    > > Ram and HDD carrying over, what is the problem? Just go but a new
    > > motherboard.
    >
    > 1. Costs money. Not all have it.
    > 2. Has few pci slots. Some have many pci cards to insert.
    > 3. What can you put in the little slots? They might as well not be there.
    > 4. PCI-e boards are still teething. You can be the guinea pig, or skip them
    > this year.

    1) If you can't afford £50, you have better things to spend your money
    on so you couldn't afford a PC in the first place.

    2)?? Many have 5.

    --
    Conor

  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote

    > 1) If you can't afford £50, you have better things to spend your money
    > on so you couldn't afford a PC in the first place.

    I shouldn't answer a bigot, I guess.

    If you really wanted a pc and were disabled or retired you could:

    Cut you own hair.
    Not do laundry (coin operated).
    Not bathe so your clothes won't wear out in the laundry and need replacing.
    Not subscribe to a newspaper.

    That ought to do it.

    Maybe you wouldn't want a pc too badly.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    I've read about this, but this is a reference motherboard, not even a
    prototype. The AGP bridge also doesn't even have to be implemented. This
    isn't a motherboard that you can buy now and I don't think you'll ever be
    able to buy a PCIe/AGP motherboard.

    --
    there is no .sig
    "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message

    > "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote
    >
    >> You can have AGP in a machine or you can have PCI Express,
    >> but you can't have both unless you're willing to settle for one or two
    >> really oddball Taiwanese motherboards of dubious stability.
    >
    > Take a look at this little baby:
    >
    > http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2471
    >

    > --
    > Ed Light
    >
    > Smiley :-/
    > MS Smiley :-\
    >
    > Send spam to the FTC at
    > uce@ftc.gov
    > Thanks, robots.

  26. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    "Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote

    >I don't think you'll ever be able to buy a PCIe/AGP motherboard.

    Watch Asrock. They love combinations, like 754/939.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    It's not true that everyone's CPU will carry over, there are people out
    there, like me, who still have Athlon XP (socket A) systems. Will all older
    Pentium IV's work in the newer motherboards?

    --
    there is no .sig

    > "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> In article <pan.2005.07.20.23.45.11.764179@null.com>, epaton says...
    >>

    >>> it getting to be a bit off a nonissue since theres deals with 7800gtx
    >>> going for £280 its soon going to be so cheap upgrade costs will become a
    >>> nonissue
    >>>
    >> Precisely. And with a PCI-e motherboard available for £50 and your CPU,
    >> Ram and HDD carrying over, what is the problem? Just go but a new
    >> motherboard.
    >
    > 1. Costs money. Not all have it.
    > 2. Has few pci slots. Some have many pci cards to insert.
    > 3. What can you put in the little slots? They might as well not be there.
    > 4. PCI-e boards are still teething. You can be the guinea pig, or skip
    > them this year.
    >
    > --
    > Ed Light
    >
    > Smiley :-/
    > MS Smiley :-\
    >
    > Send spam to the FTC at
    > spam@uce.gov
    > Thanks, robots.

  28. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > "Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote
    >
    >>I don't think you'll ever be able to buy a PCIe/AGP motherboard.
    >
    > Watch Asrock. They love combinations, like 754/939.

    Yep, but nobody wishing to build a quality rig would choose Asrock for a
    motherboard. I think most gamers would prefer stability and value over
    flakiness and dodgy and gimmicky features.
  29. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    In article <42e2ef7c$1@news.orcon.net.nz>, Alameda says...

    > Yep, but nobody wishing to build a quality rig would choose Asrock for a
    > motherboard. I think most gamers would prefer stability and value over
    > flakiness and dodgy and gimmicky features.

    Asrock is Asus.

    --
    Conor

  30. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    "Alameda" <nothing@nowhere.net> wrote
    > Yep, but nobody wishing to build a quality rig would choose Asrock for a
    > motherboard. I think most gamers would prefer stability and value over
    > flakiness and dodgy and gimmicky features.

    Asrocks are ok. They're an Asus offshoot.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  31. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message

    > "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> In article <pan.2005.07.20.23.45.11.764179@null.com>, epaton says...

    > 3. What can you put in the little slots? They might as well not be there.

    May I answer this little query? I for one, can't wait for the Ageia PPU to
    come out this year and these are designed to fit into the PCI-E x1 slot to
    complement your video card and take the load off your GPU to devote
    everything to processing physics alone. The implications of this is pretty
    cool - it will enable detail to be "blown up" into minute pieces as opposed
    to the tiny chunks we currently see, massive explosions will be able to be
    carried out onscreen without any slowdown in framerate, it's going to
    totally revolutionise the immersion aspects of a game - even particle
    effects like rain and wind or flesh movements on a human character will be
    processed by the Ageia PPU.

    This "little slot" that in your eyes may as well not be there, could hold
    the key to the next advancement in graphics realism and immersion - and
    probably already gives the PC a built-in advantage over the upcoming Xbox360
    and PS3. Do some Googling and read up on it. Download some movies
    demonstrating it. Read up on their presentation at E3 2005. There's no
    excuse for being ignorant.
  32. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    "Alameda" <nothing@nowhere.net> wrote

    > and PS3. Do some Googling and read up on it. Download some movies
    > demonstrating it. Read up on their presentation at E3 2005. There's no
    > excuse for being ignorant.

    Why should I do anything for a snob?

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  33. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Cutting through all the hype, in order for the Ageia PPU to work:

    1. The PPU will have to go into production first,
    2. with good driver support,
    3. with OpenGL or DirectX extensions to support off-loading the physics,
    4. and show a distinct performance benefit over on-video-card processing

    Any incompetency in the above steps, and the thing becomes a doorstop. The
    technology is even more vulnerable to commercial failure if its only
    application is gaming. It'll be a long time before the concept can be made
    to work practically, perhaps longer than the useful lifespan of current
    motherboards...

    "Alameda" <nothing@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > May I answer this little query? I for one, can't wait for the Ageia PPU to
    > come out this year and these are designed to fit into the PCI-E x1 slot to
    > complement your video card and take the load off your GPU to devote
    > everything to processing physics alone. The implications of this is pretty
    > cool - it will enable detail to be "blown up" into minute pieces as
    > opposed to the tiny chunks we currently see, massive explosions will be
    > able to be carried out onscreen without any slowdown in framerate, it's
    > going to totally revolutionise the immersion aspects of a game - even
    > particle effects like rain and wind or flesh movements on a human
    > character will be processed by the Ageia PPU.
    >
    > This "little slot" that in your eyes may as well not be there, could hold
    > the key to the next advancement in graphics realism and immersion - and
    > probably already gives the PC a built-in advantage over the upcoming
    > Xbox360 and PS3. Do some Googling and read up on it. Download some movies
    > demonstrating it. Read up on their presentation at E3 2005. There's no
    > excuse for being ignorant.
  34. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > In article <42e2ef7c$1@news.orcon.net.nz>, Alameda says...
    >>
    > Asrock is Asus.

    **breaks egg, throws on one's face**

    I've always had the feeling it's like the 'cheapened wing' of Asus - - - -
    but upon further investigation, I see they actually have a reasonably good
    reputation. I take back what I said. Funny what happens if you lump a whole
    lot of brands together, like the likes of ECS, Axper, the so-called
    'low-end'. It's all about perception, and sometimes those perceptions are
    misguided . :/
  35. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    "Alameda" <nothing@nowhere.net> wrote

    >> Asrock is Asus.

    > **breaks egg, throws on one's face**
    >
    > I've always had the feeling it's like the 'cheapened wing' of Asus - - - -
    > but upon further investigation, I see they actually have a reasonably good
    > reputation.

    They have a little via-based km266 pro (socket A) for $40 (at newegg) that's
    loaded! 333 fsb, 4 x usb 2.0, free modem, integrated video of course, agp
    slot, you can change the multiplier with jumpers (you supply jumpers) --
    it's neato. A friend got it and it flies. No problems at all running a
    mobile xp. They put one cap too near the socket though. Makes it challenging
    to choose a heatsink. I see Arctic Cooling has a new one out that goes
    straight up, then flares out to clear caps. I'm glad socket A is ending.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  36. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > "Alameda" <nothing@nowhere.net> wrote
    >
    >> and PS3. Do some Googling and read up on it. Download some movies
    >> demonstrating it. Read up on their presentation at E3 2005. There's no
    >> excuse for being ignorant.
    >
    > Why should I do anything for a snob?

    I'm suggesting do it for yourself, for your own enlightenment. I don't see
    how knowledge of the Ageia PPU is 'snobbish' - you asked for a practical use
    for the x1 slots and I gave a concrete answer. I guess there are other
    advancements around the corner too, don't knock it.
  37. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Alameda" <nothing@nowhere.net> wrote
    >>
    >>> and PS3. Do some Googling and read up on it. Download some movies
    >>> demonstrating it. Read up on their presentation at E3 2005. There's no
    >>> excuse for being ignorant.
    >>
    >> Why should I do anything for a snob?
    >>

    > I'm suggesting do it for yourself, for your own enlightenment. I don't see
    > how knowledge of the Ageia PPU is 'snobbish' - you asked for a practical
    > use for the x1 slots and I gave a concrete answer. I guess there are other
    > advancements around the corner too, don't knock it.

    Well, you're telling me, "there's no excuse for being ignorant." That's kind
    of offensive, don't you see?

    It's nice that you're informing me, but then to chide me for not knowing is
    pretty crude.
    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.

  38. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > "Alameda" <nothing@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Alameda" <nothing@nowhere.net> wrote

    >>> Why should I do anything for a snob?
    >>>

    >> I'm suggesting do it for yourself, for your own enlightenment. I don't
    >> see how knowledge of the Ageia PPU is 'snobbish' - you asked for a
    >> practical use for the x1 slots and I gave a concrete answer. I guess
    >> there are other advancements around the corner too, don't knock it.
    >
    > Well, you're telling me, "there's no excuse for being ignorant." That's
    > kind of offensive, don't you see?

    It wasn't intentional. People are ignorant of a lot of things, myself
    included. That's humanity for you. Please don't take offense to it.
  39. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    "Alameda" <nothing@nowhere.net> wrote

    >> Well, you're telling me, "there's no excuse for being ignorant." That's
    >> kind of offensive, don't you see?
    >>

    > It wasn't intentional. People are ignorant of a lot of things, myself
    > included. That's humanity for you. Please don't take offense to it.

    Oh. Sorry. Kind of flame-sensitive this week!

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    spam@uce.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  40. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > Oh. Sorry. Kind of flame-sensitive this week!

    That's ok - I was meaning people in general are ignorant of such new
    technologies. Take care :)
  41. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Ed Light wrote:
    > 3. What can you put in the little slots? They might as well not be there.

    At the moment, not much, but they should eventually be useful for card
    like add-in SATA or SCSI controllers as well as gigabit Ethernet cards,
    all of which are bottlenecked by a standard PCI bus interface.

    --
    Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
  42. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > Cutting through all the hype, in order for the Ageia PPU to work:
    >
    > 1. The PPU will have to go into production first,
    > 2. with good driver support,
    > 3. with OpenGL or DirectX extensions to support off-loading the physics,
    > 4. and show a distinct performance benefit over on-video-card processing
    >
    > Any incompetency in the above steps, and the thing becomes a doorstop. The
    > technology is even more vulnerable to commercial failure if its only
    > application is gaming.

    Well, gaming is what it's built for. If you're not into gaming, chances are
    you won't be picking up one of these babies.

    I don't know how you can say with certainty it's "vulnerable to commercial
    failure". Sony have confirmed that the Ageia PPU *WILL* be an essential part
    of the Playstation 3, so I'd say their future is set as fairly bright
    already.

    And interestingly, just like you have concerns over "showing a distinct
    performance benefit over on-video-card processing", the console fanboy camp
    are currently discussing the same thing - saying "oh the Cell chip with its
    7 cores is already powerful enough to do everything itself, it doesn't need
    this" - but the point is clear - if you have a piece of hardware totally
    dedicated to doing one thing and doing it well, the advantages over
    on-video-card processing are pretty obvious.
  43. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Bill wrote:

    > In article <dbndlv01c8p@news3.newsguy.com>,
    > jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid says...
    >> Bill wrote:
    >>
    >> > In article <dbn1c60983@news2.newsguy.com>,
    >> > jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid says...

    >> > Yup, I'm aware of that. I'm also aware that some bottom feeder PCs
    >> > with built in AGP graphics chips have no AGP slot for a card. Can't
    >> > upgrade those either.
    >>
    >> You are not grokking the concept.
    >
    > I grok the concept. You haven't answered my question. I repeat. Do you
    > have any idea as to what percentage of the new PCs being sold actually
    > use plug in pci-express cards instead of built in/on board graphics?

    Every single one of them from Dell, Hewlett-Packard, or IBM that uses a
    plug-in video board.

    >> It is not that one cannot upgrade PCI
    >> Express machines, it is that even the most sophisticated ones cannot take
    >> an AGP board. You can have AGP in a machine or you can have PCI Express,
    >> but you can't have both unless you're willing to settle for one or two
    >> really oddball Taiwanese motherboards of dubious stability.
    >>
    >> > So do all the new PCs with built in graphics chips have pci-express
    >> > graphics slots in them?
    >>
    >> There is no such thing as a "PCI Express graphics slot" any more than
    >> there is a "PCI graphics slot".
    >
    > So you can stick a pci-express graphics card into any pci-express slot
    > and get full performance out of it. Cool.

    Into any PCI Express x8 or better slot. Actually IIRC PCI Express X2
    outperforms AGP.

    >> PCI Express is intended to be the successor to
    >> PCI as well as AGP. As for "all the new PCs", there are "new PCs" that
    >> don't have _any_ slots. So what?
    >
    > Then they would have as little an upgrade path for graphics as the PCs
    > sold with no AGP slots or pci-express slots able to take pci express
    > graphics cards.

    And if they have no slots then they don't figure into the AGP market any
    more than they do into the PCI Express market.

    >> I don't really understand what point you think you're making.
    >
    > Actually I'm not trying to make any point. I was just seeking a datum
    > out of curiousity. See above.
    >
    >> If it is your
    >> contention that the existence of machines with video built into the
    >> chipset means that no PCI Express video boards are being sold, then
    >> consider that that same argument applies to AGP.
    >
    > I'm contending nothing, having insufficient data to do so.
    >
    >> So by your reasoning no video boards of
    >> any kind are being sold and I guess that ATI and nvidia both need to
    >> declare bankruptcy.
    >
    > I have said no such thing. Please don't put words in my mouth.

    I see.

    >> If nvidia thought that there was any kind of major market for an AGP
    >> 7800, do you think that they are too stupid to recognize the fact?
    >
    > I think Nvidia is smart enough to make an AGP 7800 if they realize the
    > market is there. I don't think they're stupid enough to pass up a
    > profit if the profit is sizable enough. How may AGP 7800 do you think
    > would have to be sold to make the issue of an AGP 7800 profitable?

    I have no idea--nvidia does not share their internal cost figures with me.
    Or with you.

    >> They have
    >> access to accurate sales figures for AGP vs PCI Express GPUs--they sell
    >> both and one may assume that they know how many of each they have sold.
    >
    > They just may be waiting a while before they put out an AGP 7800, just
    > like they waited to put out the AGP GeForce 6600.
    >
    > Below, I think you're replying to "eapton" not me. Check the
    > attributions.
    >

    >> By the way, if there were "few PCI Express buyers" then the prices would
    >> not
    >> be "in free fall". In electronics "free fall" comes from the economies
    >> of
    >> scale that occur with high sales volume. By the reasoning that "free
    >> fall" indicates lack of popularity one could argue that nobody uses 100TX
    >> or wifi
    >> or gigabit or 250 gig disks or LCD monitors or myriad other components.
    >> It costs almost the same to make a million chips as it does to make one
    >> chip--most of the cost is in the setup. So the more chips you make the
    >> lower the cost per chip will be.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  44. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Doug wrote:

    > I've read about this, but this is a reference motherboard, not even a
    > prototype. The AGP bridge also doesn't even have to be implemented. This
    > isn't a motherboard that you can buy now and I don't think you'll ever be
    > able to buy a PCIe/AGP motherboard.

    Well, actually you can. Newegg has them in stock, refurbished, for 44
    bucks. <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813135157R>

    Not a board that I would recommend to anyone, but it does exist. There are
    a couple of other variants as well.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  45. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Conor wrote:

    > In article <ElTDe.75424$Qo.38986@fed1read01>, Ed Light says...
    >>
    >> "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote
    >>

    >> > Err dumbass, AGP is dead. Good luck finding an AGP motherboard that
    >> > supports the new CPUS.
    >>
    >> Sorry, um, tough guy. BIOS updates are flying fast and furiously. I'd be
    >> surprised if there are many nforce 3's that won't run x2's.
    >>
    > Now try buying one.

    Buying one what? Nforce 3? Old technology, nforce _4_ has been shipping
    for quite some time. Or perhaps you mean a dual-core Athlon64? Newegg has
    those in stock starting at 537 bucks. They also have K8T800 boards with X2
    support and AGP slots.

    The caveat with either is that it has to be a Socket 939 board. Most
    nforce3 boards are socket 754.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  46. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    vinny wrote:

    > there is a market for agp. as a matter of fact you can still find video
    > cards that work on the old pci slot.

    Yes, and all PCI Express machines of which I am aware have "old PCI slots"
    that will take those boards, but they do _not_ have AGP slots.

    > No card manufacturer is that stupid
    > to limit its sales.the problem is that maybe the agp will not have enough
    > bandwith to handle the new top of the line video cards that sell for $500.
    > we will probably see new video card that sell for under $300 with agp.

    No, the problem is that it won't be long before between low memory bandwidth
    and slow processors there won't be any _point_ in putting a high end video
    board in an AGP machine.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  47. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Ed Light wrote:

    > "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> In article <pan.2005.07.20.23.45.11.764179@null.com>, epaton says...
    >>

    >>> it getting to be a bit off a nonissue since theres deals with 7800gtx
    >>> going for £280 its soon going to be so cheap upgrade costs will become a
    >>> nonissue
    >>>
    >> Precisely. And with a PCI-e motherboard available for £50 and your CPU,
    >> Ram and HDD carrying over, what is the problem? Just go but a new
    >> motherboard.
    >
    > 1. Costs money. Not all have it.

    Now let's see, they can afford 300 bucks for a video board but not 50 bucks
    for a motherboard? Then maybe they don't need the video board all that
    badly either.

    > 2. Has few pci slots. Some have many pci cards to insert.

    Then get a board with enough PCI slots. Although if they're that poor then
    how did they afford all the PCI boards?

    > 3. What can you put in the little slots? They might as well not be there.

    There are a number of PCI Express RAID controllers and NICs available. PCI
    doesn't have enough bandwidth to get full performance out of gigabit, PCI
    Express does. Also at least one PCI Express firewire board is available.
    More stuff coming. Understand--PCI Express is intended to replace PCI.

    > 4. PCI-e boards are still teething. You can be the guinea pig, or skip
    > them this year.

    While I'd agree with that assessment to some extent they've been in use for
    a while, all the major brands have sold large numbers of PCI Express
    machines, and I don't see any large number of complaints.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Nvidia Graphics Cards PCI Express Graphics Product