Asus FX5700, any point overclocking?

Hello,

I've had my Asus V9570 (a plain FX5700 non-ultra, 256MB) for a while now
though it's still under its 3 year warranty. It's very stable and runs very
cool, the copper fan seems to work well, and I don't want to kill it like I
did my short lived 5200 with no fan which ran at about 8,494,018 degrees
centigrade, under load.
Anyway, various internet forums have suggested that this card actually loses
performance quite drastically when overclocked, or even simply if coolbits
is enabled. Some issue with 6x.xx drivers and above, word has it. So I
wonder:
Has anyone had any success overclocking this card and to what degree?
Is it a risky move to o/c it?

Cheers folks,
Dr.White.

Dr White wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've had my Asus V9570 (a plain FX5700 non-ultra, 256MB) for a while now
> though it's still under its 3 year warranty. It's very stable and runs very
> cool, the copper fan seems to work well, and I don't want to kill it like I
> did my short lived 5200 with no fan which ran at about 8,494,018 degrees
> centigrade, under load.
> Anyway, various internet forums have suggested that this card actually loses
> performance quite drastically when overclocked, or even simply if coolbits
> is enabled. Some issue with 6x.xx drivers and above, word has it. So I
> wonder:
> Has anyone had any success overclocking this card and to what degree?
> Is it a risky move to o/c it?
>
> Cheers folks,
> Dr.White.

I have an Apollo 5700 "EP", it's the plain 5700 clocked at 425/500
default. I regularly OC to 435/525 and it does help, especially when
you need to make up for shader efficiency in DX9 games.

I know other people say they have OC'd the 5700 to almost 5700U levels
(450/900), but 450/550 seems the upper limit with good cooling. Early
5700's with the need for a 12V connector might fair better. Reissues or
those with poor memory likely won't.

"deimos" <duralisisNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> Dr White wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've had my Asus V9570 (a plain FX5700 non-ultra, 256MB) for a while now
>> though it's still under its 3 year warranty. It's very stable and runs
>> very cool, the copper fan seems to work well, and I don't want to kill it
>> like I did my short lived 5200 with no fan which ran at about 8,494,018
>> degrees centigrade, under load.
>> Anyway, various internet forums have suggested that this card actually
>> loses performance quite drastically when overclocked, or even simply if
>> coolbits is enabled. Some issue with 6x.xx drivers and above, word has
>> it. So I wonder:
>> Has anyone had any success overclocking this card and to what degree?
>> Is it a risky move to o/c it?
>>
>> Cheers folks,
>> Dr.White.
>
> I have an Apollo 5700 "EP", it's the plain 5700 clocked at 425/500
> default. I regularly OC to 435/525 and it does help, especially when you
> need to make up for shader efficiency in DX9 games.
>
> I know other people say they have OC'd the 5700 to almost 5700U levels
> (450/900), but 450/550 seems the upper limit with good cooling. Early
> 5700's with the need for a 12V connector might fair better. Reissues or
> those with poor memory likely won't.

Cheers,

Yeah, that's the same core/memory as my 5700. It has Hynix DDR memory rated
at 275*2MHz. I'm sure in theory this card would overclock just fine, but
this article alerted me to a possible stumbling block:

http://www.nvplanet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2255&st=0

Strange business from ASUS. Seems like they want to discourage overclocking
even though the cardcomes bundled with ASUS' own o/c utility. Given that I'm
loathe to damage this card I think i'll leave it alone. Until the warranty
runs out. Then i'll melt it.

Regards,

Dr.White.