Questions before Buying: Notebook 32-bit to 64-bit

Sturmdolch

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Hello,

I was just about to buy the Windows 7 upgrade version with the student bundle, when it asked me if I want 32 bit or 64 bit. I thought it would send both, but, sadly, it won't. I do want 64-bit, since Asus decided to pack 4 gigs of ram into my laptop even though they sent it with a 32 bit OS...

So here's my questions:
[strike]
1. Can I use the 64-bit Windows 7 Home Upgrade Disk to perform a clean install of 64-bit Win7 Home on my notebook that came with 32-bit Windows Vista Home Premium?

I am new to the whole upgrade thing... I am used to buying complete OS's. The price is what caught me here. So, I searched around and found that I can't upgrade directly and keep all my files. That is not a problem, I'll back them up... But can I make the clean install to 64-bit? Do I need to use my product key from Vista or what, and will it work to upgrade to 7 in another bit version?[/strike]

~~ Just found the answer from a thread that got bumped right after I posted this... Sorry for the duplicate thread~~

2. Can my notebook even support Windows 7? It is an Asus N81Vg:
CPU: Intel Duo P8600
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT120M

I'm unsure if the drivers will work and everything, although I do think they should as it's a newer model...

Sturmdolch

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Alright, one more question that's bugging me now... I just found out that I can upgrade Vista 32-bit Home Premium to Win7 Professional 64-bit by doing a clean install? The CD-key and everything will work?
Because they are the same price for students...