Wireless access point unable to get valid IP address (link..

I have a Linksys wireless installation that worked great for more than a year, but recently is not receiving a valid IP address from my Linksys router. The WUSB11 device was replaced and tested and proved to be okay. I manually entered the IP address and DNS and was able to ping the router but can not get to the Internet. I've talked to two Linksys techies and tried everything they could think of, but nothing seems to work. Last night I installed the latest XP Service Pack (SP1a) hoping it would resolve the issue, but nothing changed. Other wireless devices (laptops, PDA's) are working fine with the Linksys router, receiving valid IP addresses and accessing the Internet.

Hi

Did anything in your setup or environment change recently?

Can you add some more information about your wireless setup? Are you using a
Linksys tool to configure you wireless USB adapter, or the built-in wireless
configuration tool in Windows XP? (If you go to the wireless adapter, and
right-click, do you see a "View available networks" option?)

Does your AP use WEP or WPa security, or is it open to anyone? If you use
WEP, have you checked that you have the correct WEP key on your XP machine?
Something else to double-check (if you are using the Windows XP wireless
configuration tool):
Theck that "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network" is NOT
selected. (This can be hard to locate, let me know if you need help checking
this).

Mark.

"JJohn" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Linksys wireless installation that worked great for more than a
>year, but recently is not receiving a valid IP address from my Linksys
>router. The WUSB11 device was replaced and tested and proved to be okay. I
>manually entered the IP address and DNS and was able to ping the router but
>can not get to the Internet. I've talked to two Linksys techies and tried
>everything they could think of, but nothing seems to work. Last night I
>installed the latest XP Service Pack (SP1a) hoping it would resolve the
>issue, but nothing changed. Other wireless devices (laptops, PDA's) are
>working fine with the Linksys router, receiving valid IP addresses and
>accessing the Internet.

Nothing new install on the system in the past six months and I turned off WEP as I attempt to debug this problem. I am using XP tools to configure the WAP. I connected the Linksys WAP in question to a laptop and was able to connect to the Linksys router...no problem with the hardware. I suspect something strange with XP on the computer with the problem, but I'm not sure where to look.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again for your response!

Mark,

I tried a solution listed under a similar problem and it worked for me. I used regedit to delete two files and re-installed tcp/ip. After re-booting, the net was available again.

Thanks for you help!

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,

can you tell what solution and which keys?

Thanks

Michael