FSAA difference between ATI and Nvidia

A friend of mine said that the ATI cards used to have better FSAA than the
GeForce cards, however, that certainly isn't the case now, is it? Can anyone
here state that they are even with this in technology now?

BigJim

never used a ati card except for a door stop...........

"Benny Johnson" <benny_johnson@mytrashmail.com> wrote in message
>A friend of mine said that the ATI cards used to have better FSAA than the
> GeForce cards, however, that certainly isn't the case now, is it? Can
> anyone
> here state that they are even with this in technology now?

ATi's FSAA implementation is superior to nVidia's up to and including the
Geforce6 series.

The 7800GTX has a new algorithm for AA in transparent textures (wire fences,
overhead powerlines, etc.). It's called transparency supersample AA.
Performance penalty is huge, and it's buggy. However, when it works, the
improvement in image quality is substantial.

"Benny Johnson" <benny_johnson@mytrashmail.com> wrote in message
>A friend of mine said that the ATI cards used to have better FSAA than the
> GeForce cards, however, that certainly isn't the case now, is it? Can
> anyone
> here state that they are even with this in technology now?

I could never tell the difference, but supposedly they use different methods
to accomplish the same goal. And people seemed to think ATI's method was
superior.
If it works, it works. I couldn't really care either way except for
performance.

"Benny Johnson" <benny_johnson@mytrashmail.com> wrote in message
>A friend of mine said that the ATI cards used to have better FSAA than the
> GeForce cards, however, that certainly isn't the case now, is it? Can
> anyone
> here state that they are even with this in technology now?

Prior to the Geforce 6XXX cards, ATI had a substantial advantage in
anti-aliasing. It took NVidia usually to get up to 4-6 sample antialiasing
to equal just 2 samples on the ATI card. Now, the difference is much
smaller, perhaps the same. Both cards use rotated grid multi-sampling now
as the fastest method. I believe the ATI cards use gamma-corrected
anti-aliasing, or at least support it, while only the Geforce 7800 supports
it for NVidia cards.

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 13:33:28 -0400, "BigJim" <woody10277@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>never used a ati card except for a door stop...........

hahaha u whish to own one