Question about PCI express cards

It says that you need two power dongles available on your hard drive. Do most
have them? I only see one on mine. My HD is a little old, but not very. Just a
few years. Do I need to settle for an AGP then if my HD doesn't have two?

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

No. The type of card you need is NOT based on how many power supply
connectors your have, it's based on what type of slot (PCI-E, AGP or PCI)
your motherboard has. First of all, only the higher powered and most
expensive PCI-E cards have an external connector for more power beyond what
the PCI-E slot can provide. All of the newer AGP cards have an external
power connector because the AGP slot connot supply enough power for even
moderate (by todays standard) applications.

So if you need a PCI-E card and the one you have selected needs external
power, then why quibble about an extra two bucks for a Y adaptor for your
existing power supply. But if your power supply is lacking extra connectors
then it probably does not have enough power any way. If you are spending at
least $300 for a video card then why not thow in an extra $50 for a decent
power supply.

Are you confused enough now?
DaveL

"Benny Johnson" <benny_johnson@mytrashmail.com> wrote in message
> It says that you need two power dongles available on your hard drive. Do
> most
> have them? I only see one on mine. My HD is a little old, but not very.
> Just a
> few years. Do I need to settle for an AGP then if my HD doesn't have two?

I think you misunderstood. High-end cards like the 6800 Ultra need two
connectors from your power supply. It's the same type of connector used for
hard drives, CD-ROMs, etc. However, this requirement is only found on
high-end cards, regardless of AGP or PCIe. It obviously does NOT depend on
the type of hard drive you use.

The PCIe slot can actually supply more power than the AGP slot. As a result,
some midrange cards like the 6600GT need an external power connection on the
AGP model, but don't need it on the PCIe model.