Possible Compatibility Problem, 2 Geforce XFX 6800 Ultra

Hi,

I just bought 2 graphics cards, 1 from overclock.co.uk and one from
ebay

Both are XFX 6800 Ultras. I tried setting them up in SLI mode but it
crashes constantly. Each card on their own work fine. I have set the
SLI jumpers correct on the mobo and the SLI Bridge is correctly fitted
each time.

I have just studied the cards more and realised they are very slightly
different. On the TV out port one has a sticker that says PAL and on
the other card NTSC.

The BIOS version are very slighty different.

The PAL BIOS version is 5.40.02.36.05.

The NTSC version is 5.40.02.36.04.

Would this affect the stability when running in SLI mode? I have
tested all my other hardware and it is definately a graphics card
problem.

Would updating the BIOS on the NTSC make a difference?

Or even if i update the bios on the NTSC card to match the PAL card
will the fact of the NTCS and PAL difference still cause issues

Regards,
RzA

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Nvidia-Compatibility-Problem-Geforce-XFX-6800-Ultra-ftopict59378.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=300617
9 answers Last reply
More about possible compatibility problem geforce 6800 ultra

    How's your power supply. One nVidia 6800 Ultra takes a LOT of power. Two
    take well, evidently, more than your power supply has to offer. The
    crashing is likely a result of marginal power, sometimes dipping below the
    minimum voltage necessary for stable operation.

    Phil Weldon

    "RzA" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just bought 2 graphics cards, 1 from overclock.co.uk and one from
    > ebay
    >
    > Both are XFX 6800 Ultras. I tried setting them up in SLI mode but it
    > crashes constantly. Each card on their own work fine. I have set the
    > SLI jumpers correct on the mobo and the SLI Bridge is correctly fitted
    > each time.
    >
    > I have just studied the cards more and realised they are very slightly
    > different. On the TV out port one has a sticker that says PAL and on
    > the other card NTSC.
    >
    > The BIOS version are very slighty different.
    >
    > The PAL BIOS version is 5.40.02.36.05.
    >
    > The NTSC version is 5.40.02.36.04.
    >
    > Would this affect the stability when running in SLI mode? I have
    > tested all my other hardware and it is definately a graphics card
    > problem.
    >
    > Would updating the BIOS on the NTSC make a difference?
    >
    > Or even if i update the bios on the NTSC card to match the PAL card
    > will the fact of the NTCS and PAL difference still cause issues
    >
    > Regards,
    > RzA

    > request
    > Topic URL:
    > http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Nvidia-Compatibility-Problem-Geforce-XFX-6800-Ultra-ftopict59378.html
    > http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=300617

    Maybe not the PSU, since the cards work fine in non-SLI mode.

    On 23 Jul 2005 13:36:55 -0400, RzA wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I just bought 2 graphics cards, 1 from overclock.co.uk and one from
    > ebay
    >
    > Both are XFX 6800 Ultras. I tried setting them up in SLI mode but it
    > crashes constantly. Each card on their own work fine. I have set the
    > SLI jumpers correct on the mobo and the SLI Bridge is correctly fitted
    > each time.
    >
    > I have just studied the cards more and realised they are very slightly
    > different. On the TV out port one has a sticker that says PAL and on
    > the other card NTSC.
    >
    > The BIOS version are very slighty different.
    >
    > The PAL BIOS version is 5.40.02.36.05.
    >
    > The NTSC version is 5.40.02.36.04.
    >
    > Would this affect the stability when running in SLI mode? I have
    > tested all my other hardware and it is definately a graphics card
    > problem.
    >
    > Would updating the BIOS on the NTSC make a difference?
    >
    > Or even if i update the bios on the NTSC card to match the PAL card
    > will the fact of the NTCS and PAL difference still cause issues
    >
    > Regards,
    > RzA

    As I know, cards have to be completly same for sli to work so.... !

    Well, no, that is not the case. Marginal power supply is much more the
    likely to be the cause of instability.

    Phil Weldon

    'First of One' wrote:
    | Maybe not the PSU, since the cards work fine in non-SLI mode.
    _____

    I interpreted "Each card on their own work fine." to mean each card on their
    own work fine. That is one card installed.

    BUT, if both cards were installed, but not configured for SLI, would the
    amount of work done be the same as in SLI operation? And the amount of
    power used be the same? At any rate, two marginally operating units have a
    larger chance of creating problems.

    Phil Weldon

    In article <Ps6dnbIsCLL0U3_fRVn-tw@rogers.com>, First of One says...
    > Maybe not the PSU, since the cards work fine in non-SLI mode.

    Is that both cards working at the same time both running 3D?
    --
    Conor

    "" wrote:
    > In article <Ps6dnbIsCLL0U3_fRVn-tw@rogers.com>, First of One
    > says...
    > > Maybe not the PSU, since the cards work fine in non-SLI
    > mode.
    > >

    > Is that both cards working at the same time both running 3D?
    > --
    > Conor
    >
    > -You wanted an argument? Oh I'm sorry, but this is abuse. You
    > want room
    > K5, just along the corridor. Stupid git. (Monty Python)

    My psu is a Ultra X-Connect 500W ATX2.0

    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Ultra_X.html

    should be more than adequate.....Right??

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Nvidia-Compatibility-Problem-Geforce-XFX-6800-Ultra-ftopict59378.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=300736

    In article <7_300736_4bd8ef5104b6c63e13f1aae5b9a974a4
    @hardwareforumz.com>, RzA says...

    > My psu is a Ultra X-Connect 500W ATX2.0
    >
    > http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Ultra_X.html
    >
    > should be more than adequate.....Right??

    One would hope so.

    --
    Conor

    "RzA" wrote:
    > My psu is a Ultra X-Connect 500W ATX2.0
    >
    > http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Ultra_X.html
    >
    > should be more than adequate.....Right??

    actaully forget that. been playing for about 5 days or so with just
    the one card and ive been getting ransom crashes with bsod then a
    promp reboot.

    When i send the error to microsoft it says it was a device driver
    problem.

    I used to get this with 1 card but i saw this

    http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=148297

    which i tried and stopped it temporary. but now its started again.

    I know its not a mobo problem as i have tried on 2 new mobos i have
    purchased the asus A8N SLI-Deluxe and the LANParTY nF4 SLI-DR and it
    does it with both.

    I know its not a ram problem because ive tried my brothers ram which
    is exaclty the same as mine. The ram i am using is 2x512mb Corsair DDR
    XMS3200LL Pro TwinX.

    Could it be a compatability problem with this particluar type of ram??

    I havent tested my cpu (amd 64 3500+ winchester core) but it was
    working fine on my old rig b4 i decided to upgrade to SLI. But i
    suppose this could be it.

    Does this sound possible.

    Its not my hard drive as it did with my old 1 and have since bought a
    new 1 and its still doing it.

    My psu is brand new (Ultra X-Connect 500W ATX2.0).

    But is it powerful enough to run a single card never mind 2 running
    in sli.

    My full pc spec is :-

    cpu:: amd 64 3500+ winchester core

    mobo:: asus a8n sli-deluxe

    ram:: 2x512mb Corsair DDR XMS3200LL Pro TwinX

    hd:: 2x80gb Maxtor Serial ATA 7200rpm

    gfx:: 2x xfx Geforce 6800 ultra

    sound:: Audigy 2 5.1

    psu:: Ultra X-Connect 500W ATX2.0

    Monitor:: 19" tft Hyundai L90D+ 8ms

    Windows XP Home Edition Sp 2

    Any help you can give me would be most appreciated. As im very pissed
    off.

    Cheers RzA

Nvidia SLI Compatibility Graphics