TV-out 'clone' resolution

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b C Monitor
July 24, 2005 10:29:05 AM

I'm using an analog (S-video) TV and a 1600x1200 monitor, set to
'clone' mode (TV displays a copy of the desktop). However, the TV only
displays a little portion of the desktop and pans to follow the cursor.

I don't want panning, I want scaling. I'd like to be able to run, say,
UT2004, and have it show up at 1600x1200 on my monitor and scaled down
640x480 on the TV for spectators. So, how can I get it to do this?

--
CalcRogue: TI-89, TI-92+, PalmOS, Windows and Linux.
http://calcrogue.jimrandomh.org/

More about : clone resolution

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 24, 2005 11:42:22 AM

As far as I know, the "cloning" is done to i.e. your 2nd video out ... not
to the s-video (TV) out. And different resolutions and refresh rates are
then available to each monitor/projector (in my case).

> I'm using an analog (S-video) TV and a 1600x1200 monitor, set to
> 'clone' mode (TV displays a copy of the desktop). However, the TV only
> displays a little portion of the desktop and pans to follow the cursor.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 24, 2005 6:54:29 PM

There's a limit to what the hardware's prepared to deal with regarding
scaling to a smaller display and lower frequency

On my TI4800SE it's 1024x768. If the main monitor is higher res than that I
get panning on the tv. Thankfully the refresh rate stays different for each
display.

On my Rad 64 DDR VIVO it's 800x600. Anything higher and it does more or less
the same thing. Unforetuneately, tv-out forces main display to the same 60Hz
as tv.

Note tha Ti is dual-head where-as the Rad isn't. Explains the frequency
limitation as the Rad's tv-out can only "clone" main display where-as the
Ti's tv-out can extend desktop etc. also.

"jimrandomh" <usenetNOSPAM@jimrandomh.org> wrote in message
> I'm using an analog (S-video) TV and a 1600x1200 monitor, set to
> 'clone' mode (TV displays a copy of the desktop). However, the TV only
> displays a little portion of the desktop and pans to follow the cursor.
>
> I don't want panning, I want scaling. I'd like to be able to run, say,
> UT2004, and have it show up at 1600x1200 on my monitor and scaled down
> 640x480 on the TV for spectators. So, how can I get it to do this?
>
> --
> CalcRogue: TI-89, TI-92+, PalmOS, Windows and Linux.
> http://calcrogue.jimrandomh.org/
a b C Monitor
July 24, 2005 9:15:11 PM

"jimrandomh" <usenetNOSPAM@jimrandomh.org> wrote in message
> I'm using an analog (S-video) TV and a 1600x1200 monitor, set to
> 'clone' mode (TV displays a copy of the desktop). However, the TV only
> displays a little portion of the desktop and pans to follow the cursor.
>
> I don't want panning, I want scaling. I'd like to be able to run, say,
> UT2004, and have it show up at 1600x1200 on my monitor and scaled down
> 640x480 on the TV for spectators. So, how can I get it to do this?

Go to the special features for your card and look for something called "Full
screen Video" on the left popupmenu. There you'll find an option to set 1 of
the 2 displays to display a fullscreen sample of the primary display
(normally "Secondary display" = your tv).

Note: This works only in games and videos as far as I know

Regards Rubbie
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 25, 2005 11:40:05 AM

"Rubbie" <bjojk@nospam.dekrijger.demon.nl> wrote:
> Go to the special features for your card and look for something
> called "Full screen Video" on the left popupmenu. There you'll
> find an option to set 1 of the 2 displays to display a fullscreen
> sample of the primary display (normally "Secondary display" = your
> tv).
>
> Note: This works only in games and videos as far as I know

Unfortunately, it doesn't work in games at all; it works only in video
players that use overlays.

--
CalcRogue: TI-89, TI-92+, PalmOS, Windows and Linux.
http://calcrogue.jimrandomh.org/
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 25, 2005 5:24:19 PM

> "Rubbie" <bjojk@nospam.dekrijger.demon.nl> wrote:
>> Go to the special features for your card and look for something
>> called "Full screen Video" on the left popupmenu. There you'll
>> find an option to set 1 of the 2 displays to display a fullscreen
>> sample of the primary display (normally "Secondary display" = your
>> tv).
>>
>> Note: This works only in games and videos as far as I know
>
> Unfortunately, it doesn't work in games at all; it works only in video
> players that use overlays.

Hmm that's weird, it works for me in Quake3 and WoW...

GL finding an alternative solution then :) .

Greetz Rubbie
!