Help! Lost internet but active network connection

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

(sorry for the length. I felt I had to provide the
background details)

PLease help me. I'm a newbie. Here's the
background. I have a wireless intenet service with a
router coming right into my linksys accesspoint. An XP
machine downstairs is connected wirelessly via a matching
PCI card. This has been working fine for the past couple
weeks (it was newly installed at that time). I was using
the WEP security and all was well and remote computer had
internet access (which as I remembered, it had configured
all by itself). Last night I updated XP with the WPA and
changed my access point setting to the WPA
configurations. I then updated my remote computer and
selected all the approriate WPA settings and input the
shared key. I follow all instructions to the letter! No
problems, network still connected.

However, this morning I did notice that for some reason
the internet is not connected, although the actual
wireless network connection is. TCP/IP properties were
blank so I tried to input them manually (ie: IP, subnet,
default gateway, and the DNS addresses.) I have another
computer (2000) on the network, so I tried the exact same
configuration method, except a different IP address. I
assained an IP address, and entered the subnet, default,
and the DNS addresses. The IP address I gave the XP
machine is the SAME one that has been working fine up till
today. I have even turned off my firewall, still same
problem. Also, my little network status icon in the
system tray no longer is visible although network
properties still shows an active connection via the
wireless card. STill no interent access. What have I
forgotten? Anyone have any ideas...I'm about ready to
scream....wife needs access for her employment and I'm
stuck at work.....and yes, I do still have internet
service because my other computer is working fine.

any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. I
don't understand any of the IP configuration stuff....

-Jason

Has your internet provider changed your IP. Mine does every once and a
while.

"jason" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> (sorry for the length. I felt I had to provide the
> background details)
>
> PLease help me. I'm a newbie. Here's the
> background. I have a wireless intenet service with a
> router coming right into my linksys accesspoint. An XP
> machine downstairs is connected wirelessly via a matching
> PCI card. This has been working fine for the past couple
> weeks (it was newly installed at that time). I was using
> the WEP security and all was well and remote computer had
> internet access (which as I remembered, it had configured
> all by itself). Last night I updated XP with the WPA and
> changed my access point setting to the WPA
> configurations. I then updated my remote computer and
> selected all the approriate WPA settings and input the
> shared key. I follow all instructions to the letter! No
> problems, network still connected.
>
> However, this morning I did notice that for some reason
> the internet is not connected, although the actual
> wireless network connection is. TCP/IP properties were
> blank so I tried to input them manually (ie: IP, subnet,
> default gateway, and the DNS addresses.) I have another
> computer (2000) on the network, so I tried the exact same
> configuration method, except a different IP address. I
> assained an IP address, and entered the subnet, default,
> and the DNS addresses. The IP address I gave the XP
> machine is the SAME one that has been working fine up till
> today. I have even turned off my firewall, still same
> problem. Also, my little network status icon in the
> system tray no longer is visible although network
> properties still shows an active connection via the
> wireless card. STill no interent access. What have I
> forgotten? Anyone have any ideas...I'm about ready to
> scream....wife needs access for her employment and I'm
> stuck at work.....and yes, I do still have internet
> service because my other computer is working fine.
>
> any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. I
> don't understand any of the IP configuration stuff....
>
> -Jason

rico

In article <25dc01c427d1$1e467a80$a001280a@phx.gbl>, "jason" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>(sorry for the length. I felt I had to provide the
>background details)
>
>PLease help me. I'm a newbie. Here's the
>background. I have a wireless intenet service with a
>router coming right into my linksys accesspoint. An XP
>machine downstairs is connected wirelessly via a matching
>PCI card. This has been working fine for the past couple
>weeks (it was newly installed at that time). I was using
>the WEP security and all was well and remote computer had
>internet access (which as I remembered, it had configured
>all by itself). Last night I updated XP with the WPA and
>changed my access point setting to the WPA
>configurations. I then updated my remote computer and
>selected all the approriate WPA settings and input the
>shared key. I follow all instructions to the letter! No
>problems, network still connected.
>
>However, this morning I did notice that for some reason
>the internet is not connected, although the actual
>wireless network connection is. TCP/IP properties were
>blank so I tried to input them manually (ie: IP, subnet,
>default gateway, and the DNS addresses.) I have another
>computer (2000) on the network, so I tried the exact same
>configuration method, except a different IP address. I
>assained an IP address, and entered the subnet, default,
>and the DNS addresses. The IP address I gave the XP
>machine is the SAME one that has been working fine up till
>today. I have even turned off my firewall, still same
>problem. Also, my little network status icon in the
>system tray no longer is visible although network
>properties still shows an active connection via the
>wireless card. STill no interent access. What have I
>forgotten? Anyone have any ideas...I'm about ready to
>scream....wife needs access for her employment and I'm
>stuck at work.....and yes, I do still have internet
>service because my other computer is working fine.
>
>any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. I
>don't understand any of the IP configuration stuff....
>
>-Jason

Turn off WPA on AP and computer turn off any and all firewall software
(briefly). Reboot computer in question. Can it see the AP now? BTW You
state you manually assign IPs, why aren't you using DHCP?