should this work? - 6600GT troubles

I have a PNY 6600GT (AGP) which I think is faulty -- it's been locking up in
3D applications
and has now started to do so in 2D, so I've taken it out and reverted to my
old Ti4200, which is now running entirely stably. I'd like to know if
there's any reason why this (now rather elderly) machine shouldn't be able
to run a 6600GT:

Asus A7V-266E
AMD 1600+
350W Antec power supply
512Mb RAM
WD 100Gb HD, CD-RW, DVD drive
Creative Audigy 2
Windows XP SP2, DirectX 9.0c

I've been through a fair amount of troubleshooting with the card I've got.
It would freeze permanently with any sound looping, or crash to a black
screen and monitor off, sometimes to a blue screen and an error message
blaming nv4_disp.dll. I checked all the fans were working, updated every
driver I could think off, tried out lots of different Nvidia driver sets,
tried underclocking, reducing refresh rates, cutting back from AGP 4x to 2X
and turning off fast writes & write combining; checked for malware, stopped
all non-essential background processes I could find, and tried removing
other peripherals, but never solved the problems.

I don't really have any doubt that the card I've got is dodgy, but I would
like to know if I can replace it with the same model, or if this PC just
can't run it stably. Obviously the power supply is one possible issue, but I
would have thought 350W is quite enough for this hardware; I upgraded from
the original 250W power supply, which was always enough, when I bought the
new graphics card.

Thanks for any advice.
Jeremy

Jeremy Dimmick wrote:
> I've been through a fair amount of troubleshooting with the card I've got.
> It would freeze permanently with any sound looping, or crash to a black
> screen and monitor off, sometimes to a blue screen and an error message
> blaming nv4_disp.dll.

Sounds familiar... I had the same problem the first time I tried to get
my new 6600GT to work. Finally I solved it by changing another molex
connector in the back of the card, so apparently the power connector was
somehow faulty and didn't give enough juice to the card.

"de Moni" <demonimummFILTER@mail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Jeremy Dimmick wrote:
>> I've been through a fair amount of troubleshooting with the card I've
>> got. It would freeze permanently with any sound looping, or crash to a
>> black screen and monitor off, sometimes to a blue screen and an error
>> message blaming nv4_disp.dll.
>
> Sounds familiar... I had the same problem the first time I tried to get my
> new 6600GT to work. Finally I solved it by changing another molex
> connector in the back of the card, so apparently the power connector was
> somehow faulty and didn't give enough juice to the card.

....about nv4_disp.dll...I am getting the same error (I opened the crash dump
file) with an Asus EN6600GT with PciX bus, but as far as I can remember I do
not recall having seen any power connector in the back of the card. Am I
missing anything or is it just the driver?

Stefano

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:12:09 +0200, "Stefano Ferrante"
<sorryIhate@spam.it> wrote:

>"de Moni" <demonimummFILTER@mail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Jeremy Dimmick wrote:
>>> I've been through a fair amount of troubleshooting with the card I've
>>> got. It would freeze permanently with any sound looping, or crash to a
>>> black screen and monitor off, sometimes to a blue screen and an error
>>> message blaming nv4_disp.dll.
>>
>> Sounds familiar... I had the same problem the first time I tried to get my
>> new 6600GT to work. Finally I solved it by changing another molex
>> connector in the back of the card, so apparently the power connector was
>> somehow faulty and didn't give enough juice to the card.
>
>...about nv4_disp.dll...I am getting the same error (I opened the crash dump
>file) with an Asus EN6600GT with PciX bus, but as far as I can remember I do
>not recall having seen any power connector in the back of the card. Am I
>missing anything or is it just the driver?
>
>Stefano

Everyone seems to assume if your 6600GT is acting up, then it
is an AGP version. No, if your card is the PCI-E version, then there
is no molex connector. Did you try uninstalling the drivers from
control panel, then using Driver Cleaner PE to futher wipe any video
drivers from the system. Then reinstall the drivers again. If you
didn't use Driver Cleaner PE to cleanout old drivers since your last
update, some old driver parts could have been left behind, and causing
problem. Wouldn't hurt trying.

"Stefano Ferrante" <sorryIhate@spam.it> ha scritto nel messaggio

> "de Moni" <demonimummFILTER@mail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Jeremy Dimmick wrote:
>>> I've been through a fair amount of troubleshooting with the card I've
>>> got. It would freeze permanently with any sound looping, or crash to a
>>> black screen and monitor off, sometimes to a blue screen and an error
>>> message blaming nv4_disp.dll.
>>
>> Sounds familiar... I had the same problem the first time I tried to get
>> my new 6600GT to work. Finally I solved it by changing another molex
>> connector in the back of the card, so apparently the power connector was
>> somehow faulty and didn't give enough juice to the card.
>
> ...about nv4_disp.dll...I am getting the same error (I opened the crash
> dump file) with an Asus EN6600GT with PciX bus, but as far as I can
> remember I do not recall having seen any power connector in the back of
> the card. Am I missing anything or is it just the driver?

Sorry guys...I just couldn't wait and opened the case: there's no extra
power connector required, so I guess we'll declare the nvidia driver as
guilty :)

Stefano

"Larry Roberts" <skin-e@juno.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:12:09 +0200, "Stefano Ferrante"
> <sorryIhate@spam.it> wrote:
>
> Everyone seems to assume if your 6600GT is acting up, then it
> is an AGP version. No, if your card is the PCI-E version, then there
> is no molex connector. Did you try uninstalling the drivers from
> control panel, then using Driver Cleaner PE to futher wipe any video
> drivers from the system. Then reinstall the drivers again. If you
> didn't use Driver Cleaner PE to cleanout old drivers since your last
> update, some old driver parts could have been left behind, and causing
> problem. Wouldn't hurt trying.

No, I am afraid it happened on a freshly installed OS :-( and it appears to
be a well known issue, according to the release notes of the new beta
drivers (which I did not install for fear of doing other damage).
So, I guess I will wait some more time, until the final version is released,
unless it'll take too long- in this case will try the beta-

Stefano

Hi,
350 W. (even Antec or Enermax) POWER Supply is at Best MARGINAL for the
6600GT.

"Mikey S." <savagem[|||]@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Hi,
> 350 W. (even Antec or Enermax) POWER Supply is at Best MARGINAL for the
> 6600GT.

Thanks for that. I'm sure that's true with a new system, but the power
consumption of an older cpu like mine is a lot less, and I'm not exactly
overrun with peripherals. As I understand it the peak power consumption of
the 6600GT is about 70W, so I'd have thought adding 100W to a system that
had always been stable before the upgrade would do the job...

Hi,
Your AMD 1600+ (older generation) vs my AMD XP64 4000 = Your's is the
"Gas-Guzzler".
Check the Specs!

Mikey S.

"Stefano Ferrante" <sorryIhate@spam.it> wrote in message

> Sorry guys...I just couldn't wait and opened the case: there's no extra
> power connector required, so I guess we'll declare the nvidia driver as
> guilty :)

The one I have does physically have a molex connector on the board, but I
don't believe it's functional; the manual claims it's for the 6800GT only.

Stevem

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2004

"Jeremy Dimmick" <fworld@clara.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Stefano Ferrante" <sorryIhate@spam.it> wrote in message
>>
>> Sorry guys...I just couldn't wait and opened the case: there's no extra
>> power connector required, so I guess we'll declare the nvidia driver as
>> guilty :)
>>
> The one I have does physically have a molex connector on the board, but I
> don't believe it's functional; the manual claims it's for the 6800GT only.

Jeremy,
The 6600GT (AGP) NEEDS that molex! Look in the Video card properties for the
'debug' entry, if you do not supply the extra voltage, the card will
'throttle' itself. Also, I would say that 350 watt is simply not enough
power. My Enermax 435 gave me problems, and I went up to an Antec 550
Trucontrol to make sure I was safe for at least another couple of years.
Check your voltages (a DVM on a spare Molex will allow you to check 12V and
5V), if anything drops 5% or more, that's your problem.
Regards,
Steve.

Jeremy Dimmick wrote:
> "Stefano Ferrante" <sorryIhate@spam.it> wrote in message
>
>>Sorry guys...I just couldn't wait and opened the case: there's no extra
>>power connector required, so I guess we'll declare the nvidia driver as
>>guilty :)
>>

> The one I have does physically have a molex connector on the board, but I
> don't believe it's functional; the manual claims it's for the 6800GT only.

That Molex NEEDS to be plugged in on a 6600GT AGP card. There is not
enough power available without it.

The PCI Express 6600GT cards don't need a connector because the PCI
Express bus can supply more current. (Some cards like the 6800 Ultras,
etc. still do, however.)

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

"Robert Hancock" <hancockr@nospamshaw.ca> wrote in message

> That Molex NEEDS to be plugged in on a 6600GT AGP card. There is not
> enough power available without it.

Interesting, the Inno3D manual (which says "6800 Ultra, 6800GT / 6800") must
be in error. I tried connecting it, of course, with the card I was testing,
but it didn't make any difference to my problems. It would run happily in
Direct 3D for seconds, minutes or an hour seemingly at random.

> Hi,
> Your AMD 1600+ (older generation) vs my AMD XP64 4000 = Your's is the
> "Gas-Guzzler".
> Check the Specs!
>
> Mikey S.
Fair point, thanks for that. Coming at the power requirement question from
another angle: looking at the box, I see I ended up buying a 380W PSU
(apologies for the error). So, given that the system was always happy with
250W when I ran the 4200Ti, is an extra 130W is enough to cater for the
graphics card update? I can't at the moment find an official specification
of the 6600GT's maximum power requirements, though I see that PNY's webpage
merely suggests at least a 300W power supply. (I don't doubt you for a
moment when you say that's not enough.)