Laptop

I am shopping around for a laptop for a college freshman. Want to keep the
cost below $1,000. Any suggestions? Are HPs better than they used to be?
4 answers Last reply
More about laptop

    Are HPs better than they used to be? No. Lenovo (ex-IBM) ThinkPad or Dell
    Latitude get my recommendation. Well made. Good warranty service. Excellent
    web site support... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 17:02:46 -0400, "Joan F \(MI\)"
    <jjfahl@removethisameritech.net> wrote:

    >I am shopping around for a laptop for a college freshman. Want to keep the
    >cost below $1,000. Any suggestions? Are HPs better than they used to be?

    At $1,000 or less, you're going to be making some compromises. One
    place NOT to compromise is on the warranty - no mattery what you buy, 3
    year minimum.

    I would avoid most low-end machines - the Dell 1200/2200 is junk, as are
    many of the low-end HPaq machines. However, one way to save is with an
    AMD-based notebook.

    Apple and IBM/Lenovo lead the pack in reliability and support. My
    second choice would be Toshiba, and third would be a Dell Latitude
    (other than the low-end 110L, which is a clone of the Inspiron junk).

    Joan F (MI) wrote:
    > I am shopping around for a laptop for a college freshman. Want to keep the
    > cost below $1,000. Any suggestions? Are HPs better than they used to be?

    Thanks.

    In news:4307bbe7.332719@nntp.charter.net,
    ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) <ben_myers_spam_me_not @
    charter.net (Ben Myers)> stated
    | Are HPs better than they used to be? No. Lenovo (ex-IBM) ThinkPad
    | or Dell Latitude get my recommendation. Well made. Good warranty
    | service. Excellent web site support... Ben Myers
    |
    | On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 17:02:46 -0400, "Joan F \(MI\)"
    | <jjfahl@removethisameritech.net> wrote:
    |
    || I am shopping around for a laptop for a college freshman. Want to
    || keep the cost below $1,000. Any suggestions? Are HPs better than
    || they used to be?

    Thanks.

    In news:sAPNe.5054$hF1.3466@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com,
    Edward J. Neth <ejn63@netscape.net> stated
    | At $1,000 or less, you're going to be making some compromises. One
    | place NOT to compromise is on the warranty - no mattery what you buy,
    | 3 year minimum.
    |
    | I would avoid most low-end machines - the Dell 1200/2200 is junk, as
    | are many of the low-end HPaq machines. However, one way to save is
    | with an AMD-based notebook.
    |
    | Apple and IBM/Lenovo lead the pack in reliability and support. My
    | second choice would be Toshiba, and third would be a Dell Latitude
    | (other than the low-end 110L, which is a clone of the Inspiron junk).
    |

    | Joan F (MI) wrote:
    || I am shopping around for a laptop for a college freshman. Want to
    || keep the cost below $1,000. Any suggestions? Are HPs better than
    || they used to be?

Gateway Laptops College Computers