Laptop

Last response: in Computer Brands
a b D Laptop
August 20, 2005 9:02:46 PM

I am shopping around for a laptop for a college freshman. Want to keep the
cost below $1,000. Any suggestions? Are HPs better than they used to be?

More about : laptop

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 21, 2005 3:26:31 AM

Are HPs better than they used to be? No. Lenovo (ex-IBM) ThinkPad or Dell
Latitude get my recommendation. Well made. Good warranty service. Excellent
web site support... Ben Myers

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 17:02:46 -0400, "Joan F \(MI\)"
<jjfahl@removethisameritech.net> wrote:

>I am shopping around for a laptop for a college freshman. Want to keep the
>cost below $1,000. Any suggestions? Are HPs better than they used to be?

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 21, 2005 4:06:48 AM

At $1,000 or less, you're going to be making some compromises. One
place NOT to compromise is on the warranty - no mattery what you buy, 3
year minimum.

I would avoid most low-end machines - the Dell 1200/2200 is junk, as are
many of the low-end HPaq machines. However, one way to save is with an
AMD-based notebook.

Apple and IBM/Lenovo lead the pack in reliability and support. My
second choice would be Toshiba, and third would be a Dell Latitude
(other than the low-end 110L, which is a clone of the Inspiron junk).

Joan F (MI) wrote:
> I am shopping around for a laptop for a college freshman. Want to keep the
> cost below $1,000. Any suggestions? Are HPs better than they used to be?

a b D Laptop
August 22, 2005 12:39:12 AM

Thanks.

In news:4307bbe7.332719@nntp.charter.net,
ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) <ben_myers_spam_me_not @
charter.net (Ben Myers)> stated
| Are HPs better than they used to be? No. Lenovo (ex-IBM) ThinkPad
| or Dell Latitude get my recommendation. Well made. Good warranty
| service. Excellent web site support... Ben Myers
|
| On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 17:02:46 -0400, "Joan F \(MI\)"
| <jjfahl@removethisameritech.net> wrote:
|
|| I am shopping around for a laptop for a college freshman. Want to
|| keep the cost below $1,000. Any suggestions? Are HPs better than
|| they used to be?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 22, 2005 12:39:26 AM