Latest video driver

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 30, 2005 3:07:48 PM

My Sony pc has a video adapter, AGP NVIDIA RIVA TNT 2 Model 64 installed.
The display quality is not good. I examined the driver in use is as
follows:-

Under display adapter information tab

BIOS version: 3.05.00.10
On-Board Memory: 32 MB
Driver version in this tab: 6.13.10.1630

In properties under adapter tab

Driver Provider: NVIDIA
Driver Date: 01/11/01
Driver Version: 1.6.3.0

I visited Sony website but could not find any better driver for this model.
I also visited NVIDIA and downloaded versions 71.89 and 71.84 in which both
readme files said to support my card. However, when I run the setup up
programs and below error message appeared.

The NVIDIA Setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible
with your current hardware. Setup will now exit.

Can someone advise advise me if there is any trick to install this driver.

Thanks,

Ray

More about : latest video driver

Anonymous
July 30, 2005 3:07:49 PM

Ray wrote:
> My Sony pc has a video adapter, AGP NVIDIA RIVA TNT 2 Model 64 installed.
> The display quality is not good. I examined the driver in use is as
> follows:-
>
> Under display adapter information tab
>
> BIOS version: 3.05.00.10
> On-Board Memory: 32 MB
> Driver version in this tab: 6.13.10.1630
>
> In properties under adapter tab
>
> Driver Provider: NVIDIA
> Driver Date: 01/11/01
> Driver Version: 1.6.3.0
>
> I visited Sony website but could not find any better driver for this model.
> I also visited NVIDIA and downloaded versions 71.89 and 71.84 in which both
> readme files said to support my card. However, when I run the setup up
> programs and below error message appeared.
>
> The NVIDIA Setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible
> with your current hardware. Setup will now exit.
>
> Can someone advise advise me if there is any trick to install this driver.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ray

I think it might be a quirk with the BIOS in your card. Especially in
the old TNT and TNT2 models, different manufacturers reported their ID
different ways and there were two possible memory types, each requiring
a different BIOS.

You can force an install by hand. After running the NVIDIA installer
once, your driver files should have been extracted to:

C:\NVIDIA\Win2kXP\[driverversion]

(Note, this is the procedure for Windows XP, but works similarly in 98).

1. Go into your device manager, expand display adapters, and right
click on the adapter. Choose Update Driver.

2. Select "Install from a list or specific location". Click next.

3. Select "Don't search. I will choose..". Click next.

4. Click Have Disk and navigate to the n4_disp.inf file located in the
directory mentioned above.

5. If your video card model does not show up, uncheck "Show compatible
hardware" and select your model (i.e. NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64).

6. Click next, and follow through the dialogs confirming any warnings,
etc, until the install is complete and reboot.

BTW, Newegg has an MSI GF6 6200 AGP for 68.00 USD, so if you need a
cheap replacement with about 100x the power of your TNT2, give it a
thought. The 2d image quality on new cards these days (GFX and GF6/7
series) is also superior and usually it's not an issue anymore.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
August 1, 2005 11:17:35 AM

Deimos,

Thanks for your advice that fixes the installation issue.

Ray

!