Newbie question on Open GL with old card

I've got a Nvidia Geforce FX 5600XT which I understand is now seriously
dated.

I have the latest drivers according to Windows XP Update but various games
and progs tell me I lack Open GL support.

Is there just another set of drivers I need to load, or am I missing
something within existing software settings?

Thanks for any help,

More about newbie question open card

    In article <dcia18$uuu$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>, H Mole says...
    > I've got a Nvidia Geforce FX 5600XT which I understand is now seriously
    > dated.
    >
    > I have the latest drivers according to Windows XP Update but various games
    > and progs tell me I lack Open GL support.
    >
    > Is there just another set of drivers I need to load, or am I missing
    > something within existing software settings?

    Get the drivers from nVidia, not Windows Update.

    --
    Conor

    You made the mistake of downloading hardware drivers listed by Windows
    Update. Those drivers possess basic 2D functionality only.

    Uninstall those drivers and use the "correct" drivers off nVidia.com. Latest
    is 77.72, though some users report the beta 77.76s to be less buggy.

    BTW, the 5600XT is not old or outdated. It was designed from the onset to be
    an inexpensive card, with performance commensurate with the price. But yeah,
    it definitely supports OpenGL.

    "H Mole" <MHill@vrmin.org> wrote in message
    > I have the latest drivers according to Windows XP Update but various games
    > and progs tell me I lack Open GL support.

    "H Mole" <MHill@vrmin.org> wrote in message
    > I've got a Nvidia Geforce FX 5600XT which I understand is now seriously
    > dated.
    >
    > I have the latest drivers according to Windows XP Update but various games
    > and progs tell me I lack Open GL support.
    >
    > Is there just another set of drivers I need to load, or am I missing
    > something within existing software settings?

    My card is a GeForce FX 5900 Ultra and is from the same family of cards as
    yours. The FX 5600XT definately does support OpenGL. The three essential
    items of software to be installed are, 1) chipset (or motherboard / system )
    drivers, 2) video card drivers (
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_77.72.html ) , and 3) DirectX. It is
    the first two items I think you're lacking.

    BTW, our cards are only about two years old. I know a guy who owns a
    GeForce 4 Ti 4800, and just about all of today's games run happily on it,
    albeit at a lower resolution.

    Tony.

    The Black Wibble wrote:

    > BTW, our cards are only about two years old. I know a guy who owns a
    > GeForce 4 Ti 4800, and just about all of today's games run happily on it,
    > albeit at a lower resolution.
    >
    > Tony.

    Now you know (virtually) another. I resurrected my G4ti4800 by adding a
    heatsink/fan from an old AMD K6III-550. Runs doom3 pretty well (AMD64
    3000+, 512MB). Any higher quality and the game would be too scary to
    play! Nvidia has always had excellent OPENGL support - MS never did and
    pushes dx exclusively.

    With the prices for new cards, many of us just can't afford to jump on
    the next BIG THING until the price comes down. Game publishers know
    this and will make sure the game runs ok on "older" cards. Otherwse the
    game just won't sell enough. Besides, I'm still working my way through
    the "older" games - only have a few hours a week to game.

    "The Black Wibble" <wibble@nest.co.nz> wrote in message
    > "H Mole" <MHill@vrmin.org> wrote in message
    >> I've got a Nvidia Geforce FX 5600XT which I understand is now seriously
    >> dated.
    >>
    >> I have the latest drivers according to Windows XP Update but various
    >> games and progs tell me I lack Open GL support.
    >>
    >> Is there just another set of drivers I need to load, or am I missing
    >> something within existing software settings?
    >
    > My card is a GeForce FX 5900 Ultra and is from the same family of cards as
    > yours. The FX 5600XT definately does support OpenGL. The three essential
    > items of software to be installed are, 1) chipset (or motherboard /
    > system ) drivers, 2) video card drivers (
    > http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_77.72.html ) , and 3) DirectX. It
    > is the first two items I think you're lacking.
    >
    > BTW, our cards are only about two years old. I know a guy who owns a
    > GeForce 4 Ti 4800, and just about all of today's games run happily on it,
    > albeit at a lower resolution.
    >
    > Tony.

    speaking of old cards, updated drivers for my fx5900xt to 77.72 and now
    can't play half life 2; keeps telling me I'm not directx 7.0 compatible
    hardware [played fine before I updated].

    "tooly" <rdh11@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

    > "The Black Wibble" <wibble@nest.co.nz> wrote in message
    [...]
    >> BTW, our cards are only about two years old. I know a guy who owns a
    >> GeForce 4 Ti 4800, and just about all of today's games run happily on it,
    >> albeit at a lower resolution.
    >>
    >> Tony.
    >
    > speaking of old cards, updated drivers for my fx5900xt to 77.72 and now
    > can't play half life 2; keeps telling me I'm not directx 7.0 compatible
    > hardware [played fine before I updated].

    I've just reinstalled HL2 and ended up getting the same error.

    The solution I googled was to download and install nHancer
    http://www.nhancer.com which is an nVidia profile handler, but first you
    will need FrameWork 1.1 installed because nHancer needs it. Then go to
    Start -> Progams -> nHancer -> Profiles -> Import standard 71.84 profiles,
    click "none" to clear the list, then tick the Half-Life 2 entry, and click
    OK.

    Tony.

    > "tooly" <rdh11@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "The Black Wibble" <wibble@nest.co.nz> wrote in message
    > [...]
    > >> BTW, our cards are only about two years old. I know a guy who owns a
    > >> GeForce 4 Ti 4800, and just about all of today's games run happily on
    it,
    > >> albeit at a lower resolution.

    I agree, using a TI4800SE here and don't seem to having any problems playing
    just about everything at 1280x1024 (16 bit) with all in game settings up
    high (but no AA etc.) on a P4@2.8Gz with 2x512 Ram.

    > >> Tony.
    > >
    > > speaking of old cards, updated drivers for my fx5900xt to 77.72 and now
    > > can't play half life 2; keeps telling me I'm not directx 7.0 compatible
    > > hardware [played fine before I updated].
    >
    > I've just reinstalled HL2 and ended up getting the same error.
    >
    > The solution I googled was to download and install nHancer
    > http://www.nhancer.com which is an nVidia profile handler, but first you
    > will need FrameWork 1.1 installed because nHancer needs it. Then go to
    > Start -> Progams -> nHancer -> Profiles -> Import standard 71.84 profiles,
    > click "none" to clear the list, then tick the Half-Life 2 entry, and click
    > OK.
    >
    > Tony.

Nvidia Drivers Graphics Product