6800GT with 77.72 Drivers Problem Playing Doom 3

Andrew

When I use the 77.72 drivers with my Leadtek 6800 GT (AGP) video card I get
random machine check exception crashes with a BSOD. I have tried enabling /
disabling Fast Writes in the BIOS but it makes no difference. I unistalled
the 77.72s and installed the 71.84s and things seem much better now.

Is this a know problem with the 77.72s?

System Specs:

MB: Asus A8V
Memory: Elixir PC3200 512 Mb x 2
CPU: Athlon 64 3000+
Video: Leadtek 6800 GT 256 Mb AGB
HD: 2 x Maxtor 80 Gb SATA RAID 0
OS: XP with SP2

Cheers,

Andy

"Andrew" <andrewportess@nospamhotmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> When I use the 77.72 drivers with my Leadtek 6800 GT (AGP) video card I
> get random machine check exception crashes with a BSOD. I have tried
> enabling / disabling Fast Writes in the BIOS but it makes no difference.
> I unistalled the 77.72s and installed the 71.84s and things seem much
> better now.
>
> Is this a know problem with the 77.72s?

Hello Andy,
look for my previous posts and you'll find that is a well known problem with
the 77.72 release.
Download and install the new beta release (77.76) and your troubles will
vanish in the air (as far as I know, it's a beta)
I did it and things got dramatically better; read the 77.76 release notes
and you will see by yourself that this is a known problem fixed in this
version.

Cheers,
Stefano

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 22:24:05 +0100, "Andrew"
<andrewportess@nospamhotmail.com> wrote:

>When I use the 77.72 drivers with my Leadtek 6800 GT (AGP) video card I get
>random machine check exception crashes with a BSOD. I have tried enabling /
>disabling Fast Writes in the BIOS but it makes no difference. I unistalled
>the 77.72s and installed the 71.84s and things seem much better now.
>
>Is this a know problem with the 77.72s?

Dunno, but I had to revert back to the 71.84's due to occasional
crashing after exiting UT2004. It appears the 77.72's aren't ready
for prime time.

Nvidia used to be known for quality drivers. Oh well....

Andrew

"Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 22:24:05 +0100, "Andrew"
> <andrewportess@nospamhotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>When I use the 77.72 drivers with my Leadtek 6800 GT (AGP) video card I
>>get
>>random machine check exception crashes with a BSOD. I have tried enabling
>>/
>>disabling Fast Writes in the BIOS but it makes no difference. I
>>unistalled
>>the 77.72s and installed the 71.84s and things seem much better now.
>>
>>Is this a know problem with the 77.72s?
>
> Dunno, but I had to revert back to the 71.84's due to occasional
> crashing after exiting UT2004. It appears the 77.72's aren't ready
> for prime time.
>
> Nvidia used to be known for quality drivers. Oh well....

I too went back to the 71.84s from the 77.72s but have since (today)
installed the 77.76 Beta drivers from Nvidia. These crashed first time I
played Doom3 but I have had one run without crashing. Will leave them
installed for the time being but I am anticipating going back to the 71.84s
again!

Andy

"/\/\UF/-\S/-\" wrote in message news:yZGIe.1957$Xj2.1006@okepread02...
> You know what's really funny tooly?? It seems that software is (games,
> OS's...etc...) only thing on this planet that we as consumers, buy, both
> willingly & with a full understanding that it's broken before we buy it!
> ie Needs a patch, needs some kinda update or whatever. I mean come on!
> When's the last time any of you folks bought a new house without a damn
> roof on it or a brand new car without tires & seats?!?!?!

Wise words, my sage Mufasa friend!

It's like buying a comic book with the last three pages missing...but "Hey!"
"Downloadable at the rate of 54 MegaBytes/hour for only $29.95 USD!"*

*Offer only good in areas with 56K dial-up. No DSL or T-1 through T-5 line
connections, please. Offer void where prohibited. No refunds. No opened
comics returnable - no exceptions.

Mark