On a budget. GF MX440,MX4000 or FX5200?

jafar

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004

Hi.

I need to get a budget card for my young daughter's PC. Which would be
better (faster) the GF MX440, MX4000 or the FX5200? They are all pretty
much the same price hence the confusion.
Thanks for your help :)

--
Jafar Calley
Producer - http://moonlife-records.com

http://techreport.com/etc/comparo/graphics/

I recommend the 5200. It's a low-end DirectX 9 card, while the MX440 and
MX4000 are older technology. (I believe that they're DX7 cards.)

I suggest buying any card online (www.newegg.com, www.monarchcomputer.com),
if you can put up with the possible inconvenience should you have to return
it. Some retailers (e.g., Circuit City, Best Buy) have prices that might be
characterized as traps for the unwary. (Their sale prices might be OK.)

What sort do you need - PCI or AGP?

"jafar" <nooo@nospam.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Hi.
>
> I need to get a budget card for my young daughter's PC. Which would be
> better (faster) the GF MX440, MX4000 or the FX5200? They are all pretty
> much the same price hence the confusion.
> Thanks for your help :)
>
> --
> Jafar Calley
> Producer - http://moonlife-records.com
> --------------------------------------
> See the latest Mars and Saturn images
> http://fatcat.homelinux.org

I recommend GF 4 MX440, it's a pretty fast DX7-card..Faster than MX4000..
FX5200 is a DX9-card that is slow in DX9..A lower lowendcard than GF 4 MX440
was when that came.

/Mr.X

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 22:42:30 +0200, jafar <nooo@nospam.com> wrote:

>Hi.
>
>I need to get a budget card for my young daughter's PC. Which would be
>better (faster) the GF MX440, MX4000 or the FX5200? They are all pretty
>much the same price hence the confusion.
>Thanks for your help :)

Kinda hard to say. While the GF4 MX440 is a faster GF2 card,
it, and the MX4000 don't have Shader support. The FX5200 is too slow
to make a difference when running DX9 shader technology, but it might
do ok with DX8.1 titles. If you get an FX5200, make sure it have a
128bit memory bus, and not a 64bit. I see newegg.com has a PNY FX5200
with a 128bit memory for $37.00.
If you don't mind second hand stuff, and dealing with eBay,
you can problably pick up a GF3 Ti500, or GF4 Ti card for around the
same price these days.

None! I would not consider those cards instead I would go for a 6200
which is almost the same price as those you mentioned, has more
features.

You never know what games people will want to play, better get a little
better card just to be safe.

Pricewatch lists them for as low as 52 dollars, this is a good deal
considering what your getting.

Rthoreau

On 5 Aug 2005 09:01:52 -0700, rthoreau@iwon.com wrote:

>None! I would not consider those cards instead I would go for a 6200
>which is almost the same price as those you mentioned, has more
>features.
>
>You never know what games people will want to play, better get a little
>better card just to be safe.
>
>Pricewatch lists them for as low as 52 dollars, this is a good deal
>considering what your getting.
>
>Rthoreau

I'd like to know where you seen a 128bit memory bus 6200 AGP
card for under $80.00? If your speaking of a 64bit version, it will be
just as slow as an FX5200. As for a 6200 TC, they are PCI-E only, and
perform terribly as well. Since the OP asked about GF2 MX, GF4 MX, and
FX5200 cards, it would seem he needs an AGP, or standard PCI as those
cards are standard PCI, and AGP form only.

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 00:09:31 GMT, "Augustus" <augustus@wrtt.net>
wrote:

>> I'd like to know where you seen a 128bit memory bus 6200 AGP
>> card for under $80.00? If your speaking of a 64bit version, it will be
>> just as slow as an FX5200.
>
>Maybe he "seen" it here....Evga 256Mb 128bit AGP 6200 300/500 clockings.
>
>http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=256-A8-N327-LX

I said for under $80.00. That ad says it's $179.99. You can
pickup a 6600GT easily for that. There are no 128bit 6200 AGP cards
that cost under $80.00 unless you deal with shady vendors on the net
that do "bait & switch" tactics. There are 128bit 6200 cards all over,
just not at attractive prices since the 6200's now use the NV44A GPUs
which now have the deactivated pipes physicaly removed. No more
changing to a 6600. :(

jafar

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 09:01:52 -0700, rthoreau wrote:

> None! I would not consider those cards instead I would go for a 6200
> which is almost the same price as those you mentioned, has more
> features.

It would be worth considering if I had a PCI express slot to put it in ;)
My daughter's Uncle is building the PC for her and I believe it will be an
older motherboard with an AGP slot. All it will need will be the vid card.
I'm also installing either Gentoo or Debian Linux so the most demanding 3D
it will suffer will be Enemy Territory which even a GF2 can handle quite
well. :)
Thanks for your suggestions guys. I guess I will settle for a 128bit
FX5200 unless I can talk the other half into shelling out another 10 or 15
Euros for a 5500. ;)

--
Jafar Calley
Producer - http://moonlife-records.com
--------------------------------------
See the latest Mars and Saturn images
http://fatcat.homelinux.org

I have an MX440 SEN1 (DDR) in a P933 rig. It is very very slow. I
could not recommend it. The MX440 went to MX4000 and then FX5200.
It's pretty much the same card. The MX440 is DX7. The FX5200 is the
best of these three, but it isn't much better than the MX440. If you
took a PC and put all three cards to compare, you'd probably not notice
the difference. The 5500 and then 5700 you'd notice a difference on -
though small.

Look more at something like the 6200 AGP - under $80 shipped:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814135179
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814122222

It's a much better product. Make sure the AGP voltage match what your
AGP port can do, though. Don't mix 1.5V only w/ 3V only.

On 8 Aug 2005 13:11:39 -0700, edavid3001@gmail.com wrote:

>I have an MX440 SEN1 (DDR) in a P933 rig. It is very very slow. I
>could not recommend it. The MX440 went to MX4000 and then FX5200.
>It's pretty much the same card. The MX440 is DX7. The FX5200 is the
>best of these three, but it isn't much better than the MX440. If you
>took a PC and put all three cards to compare, you'd probably not notice
>the difference. The 5500 and then 5700 you'd notice a difference on -
>though small.
>
>Look more at something like the 6200 AGP - under $80 shipped:
>
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814135179
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814122222
>
>It's a much better product. Make sure the AGP voltage match what your
>AGP port can do, though. Don't mix 1.5V only w/ 3V only.

I would not recommend either of those cards you listed. Both
are 64bit memory bus cards, and are crippled from their 128bit memory
bus versions. A 64bit 6200 is still not much better than an FX5200.
It's like a 5200 with SM3 support... Not any good.

My new rig has a 6600GT. But I don't consider that budget. Good
card, though, as long as you shop around and don't buy from *worst buy*
or the like.