What is the best ground vehicle?

As far as handling, top speed, and acceleration go?

--
Mark
--

Thomas

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

Mark C. wrote:
> As far as handling, top speed, and acceleration go?

I have two favorites, the Buffalo and for a surprise choice the
Yosemite. The Buffalo has excellent speed and the handling only goes
south when you get on the grass. The Yosemite while not super fast is
also a very stable platform and it has the benefit of doing well when
you leave the road.

"Mark C." wrote:

> As far as handling, top speed, and acceleration go?
>
> --
> Mark
> --
> "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who once said, "I drank
> what?". " Val Kilmer in Real Genius.

probably the banshee
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look

Towelie

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2002

TV's Paul Heslop wrote:
> "Mark C." wrote:
>>
>> As far as handling, top speed, and acceleration go?
>>
>> --
>> Mark
>> --
>> "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who once said, "I
>> drank what?". " Val Kilmer in Real Genius.
>
> probably the banshee

I like the Turismo.

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 16:59:42 -0500, towelie wrote:

> TV's Paul Heslop wrote:
>> "Mark C." wrote:
>>>
>>> As far as handling, top speed, and acceleration go?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mark
>>> --
>>> "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who once said, "I
>>> drank what?". " Val Kilmer in Real Genius.
>>
>> probably the banshee
>
> I like the Turismo.

Banshee or Jester from the ones I've found so far.

In message <WqudnWN7q4yWKoXeRVn-sA@comcast.com>
"Mark C." <mustango656@comcast.net> wrote:

> As far as handling, top speed, and acceleration go?

The Banshee, Cheetah, Infernus or Bullet are all kick ass cars.

According to the vehicle speed guide on gamefaqs.com the fastest car
over a set distance is the Infernus (By about 1/50th of a second).

As far as acceleration goes the Turismo gets my vote, and handling goes
to the Cheetah or Bullet. Considering how fast the Bullet is it handles
remarkably well, even with modded wheels.

Cheers,
Rob

> According to the vehicle speed guide on gamefaqs.com the fastest car
> over a set distance is the Infernus (By about 1/50th of a second).

What's the distance?

In message <pJiSe.1709$7p1.1673@newsfe7-win.ntli.net>
"G Hardy" <gareth.hardy1@ntlwrold.com> wrote:

> > According to the vehicle speed guide on gamefaqs.com the fastest car
> > over a set distance is the Infernus (By about 1/50th of a second).
>
> What's the distance?

A good portion of the runway at SF airport:

"OK, this is how it went. I chose a method that would eliminate human
error and reaction times as much as possible. When I found the vehicle,
I took it to the SF Airport, and lined it up (using first person view)
so that the front of the car was in line with the second closest lamp
post to the water's edge. I then pressed down X and held it for the
entirety of the test. When the vehicle reached the beginning of the
runway, I started the stopwatch. I stopped the watch when it reached
the end of the runway.

I deliberately chose not to use the in-game clock for two reasons.
1) It does not go up in exact seconds
2) It does not include fractions of seconds"

I've tested a few of the faster cars using his method, and it's pretty
accurate.

Cheers,
Rob

"Rob White" <mflt35@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> In message <pJiSe.1709$7p1.1673@newsfe7-win.ntli.net>
> "G Hardy" <gareth.hardy1@ntlwrold.com> wrote:
>
>> > According to the vehicle speed guide on gamefaqs.com the fastest car
>> > over a set distance is the Infernus (By about 1/50th of a second).
>>
>> What's the distance?
>
> A good portion of the runway at SF airport:
>
> "OK, this is how it went. I chose a method that would eliminate human
> error and reaction times as much as possible. When I found the vehicle,
> I took it to the SF Airport, and lined it up (using first person view)
> so that the front of the car was in line with the second closest lamp
> post to the water's edge. I then pressed down X and held it for the
> entirety of the test. When the vehicle reached the beginning of the
> runway, I started the stopwatch. I stopped the watch when it reached
> the end of the runway.
>

> I deliberately chose not to use the in-game clock for two reasons.
> 1) It does not go up in exact seconds
> 2) It does not include fractions of seconds"
>

> I've tested a few of the faster cars using his method, and it's pretty
> accurate.
>

> Cheers,
> Rob
> --

Ok, smarty, now do the G test. :)~
--
Mark
--
"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who once said, "I drank
what?". " Val Kilmer in Real Genius.

The Sultan is the Subaru WRX... handles like that in real life.

The Elegy is the Skyline GTS... handles like that in real life too!

I would imagine the Sultan is the best all round 4 door vehicle.

T.

Towelie

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2002

A slightly different question: what is the best four-door vehicle? This is
important when hauling homeys around. I jacked a Sultan earlier, and
noticed how well it handles. It's pretty quick too.

Hi

"Rob White" <mflt35@dsl.pipex.com> wrote

> I deliberately chose not to use the in-game clock for two reasons.
> 1) It does not go up in exact seconds
> 2) It does not include fractions of seconds"
>

> I've tested a few of the faster cars using his method, and it's pretty
> accurate.

Whats wrong with reading the numbers for acceleration and speed
from "handling.cfg" ;-)

Infernus and Turismo have 240 Top-Speed while the other
fast cars have 230 only. A slower but better accelerating
vehicle will be faster on a short run and slower on a long one.

Ok, you can't tell how good a car handles from theses numbers,
but a straight run on a runway will tell you nothing about
handling too. Nice idea though.

Marco

In message <dfe3fm$tk5$1@online.de>
"Marco Jautz" <marcojmgh@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, you can't tell how good a car handles from theses numbers,
> but a straight run on a runway will tell you nothing about
> handling too. Nice idea though.

I think it must be down to preference; a car that I think handles well
could be hated by somebody else and vice-versa.

Cheers,
Rob

towelie wrote:

> A slightly different question: what is the best four-door vehicle? This is
> important when hauling homeys around. I jacked a Sultan earlier, and
> noticed how well it handles. It's pretty quick too.

For 4x4 action, in the real sense then it's between the Patriot and
sandking. Is the Elegy a 4x4? I know it spins at the thought of
turning corners but it's one of the gutsiest cars in the game.
--

tlai909@visto.com wrote:

> The Sultan is the Subaru WRX... handles like that in real life.
>
> The Elegy is the Skyline GTS... handles like that in real life too!
>
> I would imagine the Sultan is the best all round 4 door vehicle.
>
> T.

Not too good for going over real hills and stuff I don't think as
they're too low to the ground. 4x4 where you're just going over the
odd field it's probably superb
--

TV's tlai909@visto.com wrote:
> The Sultan is the Subaru WRX... handles like that in real life.

Not really. The WRX wasn't around in 93. It does resemble it a little,
however. But the front end is nothing like the WRX.

In message <431AD553.4D440FF6@blueyonder.co.uk>
Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> For 4x4 action, in the real sense then it's between the Patriot and
> sandking. Is the Elegy a 4x4? I know it spins at the thought of
> turning corners but it's one of the gutsiest cars in the game.

The Patriot remains one of the best off-road vehicles in all the GTA's,
and the Sandking is just as good too.

Take a Patriot to the Desert and climb the hills to where you first
find Macca and Kent Paul. No matter what you ask the Patriot to climb
it does it with ease. Top car.

A surprisingly good off-road vehicle is the Rhino. It's the only
vehicle in the game that has wheels but acts like it's on caterpillar
tracks. The R1 button acts like a handbrake too, just like the Monster,
which is handy for tight turns.

The Elegy is the puppies' pips when it's modded at Wheel Arch Angels.
It's a little bit difficult to control as it's arse really swings out
when taking a 90 degree turn, but it's easy enough to counter-steer
using the directional stick. This goes for all the cars you can mod at
WAA although some, noticeably the Jester and Uranus are quite difficult
to control when speeding on nitrous.

My modding spree is continuing; this morning I modded an Oceanic (Or
similar car) to look like Christine in the film of the same name :eek:)

Cheers,
Rob

Rob White wrote:

> In message <431AD553.4D440FF6@blueyonder.co.uk>
> Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > For 4x4 action, in the real sense then it's between the Patriot and
> > sandking. Is the Elegy a 4x4? I know it spins at the thought of
> > turning corners but it's one of the gutsiest cars in the game.
>
> The Patriot remains one of the best off-road vehicles in all the GTA's,
> and the Sandking is just as good too.
>
> Take a Patriot to the Desert and climb the hills to where you first
> find Macca and Kent Paul. No matter what you ask the Patriot to climb
> it does it with ease. Top car.

eah, I try to store on at the airfield just for this mission. Sadly
Sandking only has two doors :O(

> A surprisingly good off-road vehicle is the Rhino. It's the only
> vehicle in the game that has wheels but acts like it's on caterpillar
> tracks. The R1 button acts like a handbrake too, just like the Monster,
> which is handy for tight turns.

Now yes, I should have thought about that as when i nick it i always
bring it over the hills. I think the time it blew up on me was when i
tried to take it through where the geiser is, got stuck often and I
think something went under me and hit its underbelly

> The Elegy is the puppies' pips when it's modded at Wheel Arch Angels.
> It's a little bit difficult to control as it's arse really swings out
> when taking a 90 degree turn, but it's easy enough to counter-steer
> using the directional stick. This goes for all the cars you can mod at
> WAA although some, noticeably the Jester and Uranus are quite difficult
> to control when speeding on nitrous.

I enjoy kicking the Elegy back into line. The slamvan is similar in
its behaviour but is too low to the floor, or too high if you lift the
springs. The elegy handles like the gutsy, raw monster it is

> My modding spree is continuing; this morning I modded an Oceanic (Or
> similar car) to look like Christine in the film of the same name :eek:)
>
> Cheers,
> Rob
> --
:O) now I do enjoy modding the old dogs

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

The story was that the early Imprezas were just FWD or 4WD naturally
aspirated cheap little economy cars.

They had a small flat four and 11+ sec. 0-100 were normal esp. the
heavier 4wd.

Insurance was normal for these sorts of cars (ie. LOW!)

So in 1994 Subaru installed a large turbo in the 4wd model and the WRX
was born.

Pretty soon they were used in car chases, robberies, ram raiders and
the youngsters wrote them off.

Insurance was now VERY HIGH!

And it continues to be extremely high even though the cars are pretty
much unstealable.

The WRX is now an expensive sports sedan but the economy car beginnings
show thru.

Me, I prefer Skylines, Supras and the Japanese market Chasers.

T.

> The Sultan is the Subaru WRX... handles like that in real life.
>
> The Elegy is the Skyline GTS... handles like that in real life too!

Probably a dumbass question ... how can you tell how a car handles in
real life? I am a city boy and I never got a chance to drive my car off
road. I never hit a lamp-post or make a handbrake turn on my way to
work in the morning. When I test drive the most my car salesman let me
do is to try its power uphill ... I don't think he is very happy if I
suggest making a tight turn at hi-speed at the next light :p

Shawn LeBron wrote:
> > The Sultan is the Subaru WRX... handles like that in real life.
> >
> > The Elegy is the Skyline GTS... handles like that in real life too!
> >

> Probably a dumbass question ... how can you tell how a car handles in
> real life? I am a city boy and I never got a chance to drive my car off
> road. I never hit a lamp-post or make a handbrake turn on my way to
> work in the morning.

You haven't lived. :)

> When I test drive the most my car salesman let me
> do is to try its power uphill ... I don't think he is very happy if I
> suggest making a tight turn at hi-speed at the next light :p

Last time I took a car for a test drive, I gave it the full test -
chirped a few times to test acceleration, entered corners late to test
handling, wiggled it back and forth to test response, and went heavy on
the brakes a couple of times.
I warned the salesman beforehand that I was going to put it through the
paces, so he was ok with most of it.
It was for mother - she bought it.

To bring it back on topic. I'll take the Banshee over anything. I
prefer the performance of the Bullet, but the Banshee is a *much* nicer
looking ride.

Bullet is my choice for extreme high speed driving... I remember it
fondly in the big races as dependable and safe in cornering and
braking... and it's common in SF.

You can pretend you're Jeremy Clarkson.

About testing cars... you shouldn't obviously be doing this on the
street but you know it happens... I run my RWD cars hard thru the
corners, I often just chirp it in 2nd... I often do mountain runs at
high speed.

But as always, the racetrack is the safest way... just bring a helmet.

T.

towelie wrote:

> TV's tlai909@visto.com wrote:
> > The Sultan is the Subaru WRX... handles like that in real life.
>
> Not really. The WRX wasn't around in 93. It does resemble it a little,
> however. But the front end is nothing like the WRX.

I think we did this one a little while ago. they raced a different car
just before the wrx... the legacy?

http://www28.tok2.com/home/mikado/finish/Legacy/legacy_02.jpg

and then there's the early imprezas

http://www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp/hyde/main/automobile/photo/impreza.jpg

and I kind of get the feeling we're seeing both cars in one
--

TV's Paul Heslop wrote:
> towelie wrote:
>>
>> TV's tlai909@visto.com wrote:
>> > The Sultan is the Subaru WRX... handles like that in real life.
>>
>> Not really. The WRX wasn't around in 93. It does resemble it a little,
>> however. But the front end is nothing like the WRX.
>
> I think we did this one a little while ago. they raced a different car
> just before the wrx... the legacy?
>
> http://www28.tok2.com/home/mikado/finish/Legacy/legacy_02.jpg
>
> and then there's the early imprezas

Those early Imprezas were SLOW! I test drove one in 92-93 and it hit 60 in
about 14-15 seconds, with a 5 speed. It's impressive (no pun intended) what
Subaru has done with this car.

> http://www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp/hyde/main/automobile/photo/impreza.jpg
>
> and I kind of get the feeling we're seeing both cars in one

After seeing those pics, I think maybe it's simply an early Impreza
"WRXized".

towelie wrote:

> TV's Paul Heslop wrote:
> > towelie wrote:

> >> Not really. The WRX wasn't around in 93. It does resemble it a little,
> >> however. But the front end is nothing like the WRX.
> >
> > I think we did this one a little while ago. they raced a different car
> > just before the wrx... the legacy?
> >
> > http://www28.tok2.com/home/mikado/finish/Legacy/legacy_02.jpg
> >
> > and then there's the early imprezas
>
> Those early Imprezas were SLOW! I test drove one in 92-93 and it hit 60 in
> about 14-15 seconds, with a 5 speed. It's impressive (no pun intended) what
> Subaru has done with this car.
>
> > http://www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp/hyde/main/automobile/photo/impreza.jpg
> >
> > and I kind of get the feeling we're seeing both cars in one
>
> After seeing those pics, I think maybe it's simply an early Impreza
> "WRXized".

yup. As for the impreza i recall seeing an article in Autocar or
something which gave it maximum points for caravan pulling, way ahead
of the competition. I think they classed these things as real farmers
cars
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look