GF6800 vs GF6600GT?!

tallman

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2005

Hi all,

Thinking of upgrading my older AGP graphic card to a newer one. I am
not an extreme gamer but would like to have good quality within my
budget.

As the recent intro of new nvidia cards, prices for mid-range GF cards
seem to drop a bit. I'm thinking of choosing the GF6800 or GF6600GT.
The 6800 seems to have more streamline and vertex shader, terms I read
from the net which I'm not quite certain abt what they are though ^.<,
but the 6600GT seems to have higher clock for DAC & RAM and more
importantly still a bit more cheaper. Which one would any of you
suggest to go for for the best value of money? Any good source on the
web that have a thorough comparison of different brand?

Thx in adv
Tallman

Get the 6800GT if you can possibly afford it! Or even 6800 Ultra. Before you
spill your Dr. Pepper, listen to my reasons:

Think just a BIT about the future.
Yeah, it's great to spend less money BUT if you buy that low, you end up
spending more later because you upgrade more often.

Heck if *I* were buying right now I'd get 7800GTX but I realize you are not
me :) Especially if you are considering the 6600GT.

I realize I'm telling you things that mean spending possibly much more than
you anticipated. BUT if you can afford paying more up front like this, you
save in the
future because it means less upgrades.

When the 6800 Ultra first came out, I bought the 6800 GT OC and that card is
still taking very good care of me. The very best investment is to buy the
card just below the super fast one. It will last you the longest. And right
now because the super fast one is the 7800 GTX, the one just below it is the
6800 Ultra. BUT keep in mind that even then you are buying one whole
generation lower rather than a card lower. If you wait until the 7800 Ultras
come out then the 7800 GTX would be the card to get that will run games thru
the year 2006.

--
Scotter

"Tallman" <wickedTallman@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Thinking of upgrading my older AGP graphic card to a newer one. I am
> not an extreme gamer but would like to have good quality within my
> budget.
>
> As the recent intro of new nvidia cards, prices for mid-range GF cards
> seem to drop a bit. I'm thinking of choosing the GF6800 or GF6600GT.
> The 6800 seems to have more streamline and vertex shader, terms I read
> from the net which I'm not quite certain abt what they are though ^.<,
> but the 6600GT seems to have higher clock for DAC & RAM and more
> importantly still a bit more cheaper. Which one would any of you
> suggest to go for for the best value of money? Any good source on the
> web that have a thorough comparison of different brand?
>
> Thx in adv
> Tallman

tallman

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2005

Hi,

However, the thing is I really can't afford to get a $400 card but a
$200~250 card the most. I checked and it seems both 6600GT and the 6800
fall into my budget. What you guys reckon abt these two?

Cheers,
Tallman

Scotter wrote:
> Think just a BIT about the future.
> Yeah, it's great to spend less money BUT if you buy that low, you end up
> spending more later because you upgrade more often.

I don't see a difference if you buy $400 card and play with it couple of
years, or buy $200 card and after a year spend another $200 for upgrade.

Good point
So if either way you are spending the same amount over two years; $400, then
here is the difference:
With the $400 card you get to play with a better card that whole time.
Make sense?
--
Scotter

"de Moni" <demonimummFILTER@mail.com> wrote in message
> Scotter wrote:
>> Think just a BIT about the future.
>> Yeah, it's great to spend less money BUT if you buy that low, you end up
>> spending more later because you upgrade more often.
>
> I don't see a difference if you buy $400 card and play with it couple of
> years, or buy $200 card and after a year spend another $200 for upgrade.

What card do you have now & what type games do you play? I upgraded 2 months
ago froma 64 meg geForce3 to a 256 meg geForce 6800GT OC by BFG. The
difference is mind blowing to say the least! I paid $350 for the geForce3
card new & it held it's own until this year. $399 for the 6800gT OC. They
can put a card out that throws a 3D picture on the wall at this point & I
still won't by another before 4 years. Prior to the geForce3, I had a
hercules 3D Prophet ddr-dvi card. They make 'um so fast, for me it's worth
the wait. Gives you time to upgrade the cpu, mobo, ram, ...etc... Kinda
eliminate the bottleneck situation.

/\/\UF/-\S/-\
"Tallman" <wickedTallman@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Thinking of upgrading my older AGP graphic card to a newer one. I am
> not an extreme gamer but would like to have good quality within my
> budget.
>
> As the recent intro of new nvidia cards, prices for mid-range GF cards
> seem to drop a bit. I'm thinking of choosing the GF6800 or GF6600GT.
> The 6800 seems to have more streamline and vertex shader, terms I read
> from the net which I'm not quite certain abt what they are though ^.<,
> but the 6600GT seems to have higher clock for DAC & RAM and more
> importantly still a bit more cheaper. Which one would any of you
> suggest to go for for the best value of money? Any good source on the
> web that have a thorough comparison of different brand?
>
> Thx in adv
> Tallman

On August 11th the 7800 GT and 7800 Ultra will be introduced. At that time
the 6800GT should fall to within your range ($250).. hopefully. Can you wait
a week or so to see?
I really think if you buy anything less than a 6800 GT at this point in time
you will regret it.
--

> Hi,
>
> However, the thing is I really can't afford to get a $400 card but a
> $200~250 card the most. I checked and it seems both 6600GT and the 6800
> fall into my budget. What you guys reckon abt these two?
>
> Cheers,
> Tallman

tallman

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2005

Alright, sure I can wait for a few more weeks. I'm definitely seious
about that punch of money. ^.^

I'll see how's the prices fall here when the new 7800 cards are out.

Cheers,
Tallman

tallman

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2005

I'm now having a ATI 9000 AGP card which I bought two years ago. Not
quite sure about what games to play as I'm not a serious gamer. But
sure wanna try some cool 3D games.

Cheers,
Tallman

http://www.digitimes.com/mobos/a20050808PR206.html

--
Scotter

"Tallman" <wickedTallman@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Thinking of upgrading my older AGP graphic card to a newer one. I am
> not an extreme gamer but would like to have good quality within my
> budget.
>
> As the recent intro of new nvidia cards, prices for mid-range GF cards
> seem to drop a bit. I'm thinking of choosing the GF6800 or GF6600GT.
> The 6800 seems to have more streamline and vertex shader, terms I read
> from the net which I'm not quite certain abt what they are though ^.<,
> but the 6600GT seems to have higher clock for DAC & RAM and more
> importantly still a bit more cheaper. Which one would any of you
> suggest to go for for the best value of money? Any good source on the
> web that have a thorough comparison of different brand?
>
> Thx in adv
> Tallman

yeah thanx Scotter! I think I'm about to do what i said I'd never do
again... %#^&@$! 'Um gonna grab a 7800 if it's the same price as what I paid
for this!

/\/\UF/-\S/-\

Scotter wrote:
> Good point
> So if either way you are spending the same amount over two years; $400, then
> here is the difference:
> With the $400 card you get to play with a better card that whole time.
> Make sense?

Two years without the need to open the hood?! No way :)

You are the one who said: "I don't see a difference if you buy $400 card and

Scotter wrote:
> You are the one who said: "I don't see a difference if you buy $400 card and
> play with it couple of
> years, or buy $200 card and after a year spend another $200 for upgrade."

Hmmm. Excellent memory and no sense of humour. Must be a cyborg.

I'm in agreement I didn't get a big belly laugh out of your joke.
But I do agree with you that two years, for you and I, is a long time to not
"look under the hood."
I chose to take the serious tact because I felt like your "joke" was
undermining my advice :)
Cheers!
--

> Scotter wrote:
>> You are the one who said: "I don't see a difference if you buy $400 card
>> and play with it couple of
>> years, or buy $200 card and after a year spend another $200 for upgrade."
>
> Hmmm. Excellent memory and no sense of humour. Must be a cyborg.

I'm glad I inspired someone to go for the high end stuff. You get what you
pay for and I have *never* regretted spending extra money to get higher
quality equipment. You only live once and if you spend much time playing
games...
--
Scotter