Faulty 6600GT? How do I tell?

Hello

I am having a big problem with my Gigabyte GV-N66T128D card.
Basically, my system crashes when I try to run a game. Sometimes it crashes
to the desktop and asks if I want to send an error report, other times it
gives me the blue screen of death. The information it gives me on the blue
screen varies. Sometimes it's a non page file fault and other times it's the
nv4.disp fault.

I have updated the BIOS on my mobo and card. I have uninstalled and
reinstalled the latest drivers, all to no avail.

Are there programs out there that can check the hardware health of a card?
What else can I try?

Thanks very much for your attention and any advice you can give me.

David
14 answers Last reply
More about faulty 6600gt tell

    "David" <thebluecarrot@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > I am having a big problem with my Gigabyte GV-N66T128D card.
    > Basically, my system crashes when I try to run a game. Sometimes it
    > crashes to the desktop and asks if I want to send an error report, other
    > times it gives me the blue screen of death. The information it gives me
    > on the blue screen varies. Sometimes it's a non page file fault and other
    > times it's the nv4.disp fault.
    >
    > I have updated the BIOS on my mobo and card. I have uninstalled and
    > reinstalled the latest drivers, all to no avail.
    >
    > Are there programs out there that can check the hardware health of a card?
    > What else can I try?
    >
    > Thanks very much for your attention and any advice you can give me.
    >
    > David

    Is it any particular game?

    Andy

    All the games that I try to play: San Andreas, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory,
    Hitman: Contracts .................. so far.

    David

    "Andrew" <andrewportess@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "David" <thebluecarrot@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello
    >>
    >> I am having a big problem with my Gigabyte GV-N66T128D card.
    >> Basically, my system crashes when I try to run a game. Sometimes it
    >> crashes to the desktop and asks if I want to send an error report, other
    >> times it gives me the blue screen of death. The information it gives me
    >> on the blue screen varies. Sometimes it's a non page file fault and other
    >> times it's the nv4.disp fault.
    >>
    >> I have updated the BIOS on my mobo and card. I have uninstalled and
    >> reinstalled the latest drivers, all to no avail.
    >>
    >> Are there programs out there that can check the hardware health of a
    >> card? What else can I try?
    >>
    >> Thanks very much for your attention and any advice you can give me.
    >>
    >> David
    >

    > Is it any particular game?
    >
    > Andy

    what kind of Power supply do you have, the new cards take a lot of power.

    "David" <thebluecarrot@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > I am having a big problem with my Gigabyte GV-N66T128D card.
    > Basically, my system crashes when I try to run a game. Sometimes it
    > crashes to the desktop and asks if I want to send an error report, other
    > times it gives me the blue screen of death. The information it gives me
    > on the blue screen varies. Sometimes it's a non page file fault and other
    > times it's the nv4.disp fault.
    >
    > I have updated the BIOS on my mobo and card. I have uninstalled and
    > reinstalled the latest drivers, all to no avail.
    >
    > Are there programs out there that can check the hardware health of a card?
    > What else can I try?
    >
    > Thanks very much for your attention and any advice you can give me.
    >
    > David

    Have you installed the AGP GART drivers?

    "David" <thebluecarrot@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > I am having a big problem with my Gigabyte GV-N66T128D card.
    > Basically, my system crashes when I try to run a game. Sometimes it
    > crashes to the desktop and asks if I want to send an error report, other
    > times it gives me the blue screen of death. The information it gives me
    > on the blue screen varies. Sometimes it's a non page file fault and other
    > times it's the nv4.disp fault.
    >
    > I have updated the BIOS on my mobo and card. I have uninstalled and
    > reinstalled the latest drivers, all to no avail.
    >
    > Are there programs out there that can check the hardware health of a card?
    > What else can I try?
    >
    > Thanks very much for your attention and any advice you can give me.
    >
    > David

    Do you have more than one stick of memory installed? Try removing one and
    see what happens then swap them over.

    Andy

    > All the games that I try to play: San Andreas, Splinter Cell: Chaos
    > Theory, Hitman: Contracts .................. so far.
    >
    > David
    >
    > "Andrew" <andrewportess@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "David" <thebluecarrot@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hello
    >>>
    >>> I am having a big problem with my Gigabyte GV-N66T128D card.
    >>> Basically, my system crashes when I try to run a game. Sometimes it
    >>> crashes to the desktop and asks if I want to send an error report, other
    >>> times it gives me the blue screen of death. The information it gives me
    >>> on the blue screen varies. Sometimes it's a non page file fault and
    >>> other times it's the nv4.disp fault.
    >>>
    >>> I have updated the BIOS on my mobo and card. I have uninstalled and
    >>> reinstalled the latest drivers, all to no avail.
    >>>
    >>> Are there programs out there that can check the hardware health of a
    >>> card? What else can I try?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks very much for your attention and any advice you can give me.
    >>>
    >>> David
    >>

    >> Is it any particular game?
    >>
    >> Andy

    Hi There,

    I have had some problems with my PNY Verto 6600 GT card with some games one
    in particular being Far Cry, before shelling out on More powerful and more
    stable power supplies as I did, try rolling back the drivers to ver 71.89 or
    67.66.

    I did and the games now work great, the newer drivers don't seem to go down
    well with the 6600 and some Games but are fine with the 6800 GT based
    boards.

    Good Luck

    David wrote:
    > I am having a big problem with my Gigabyte GV-N66T128D card.
    > Basically, my system crashes when I try to run a game. Sometimes it crashes
    > to the desktop and asks if I want to send an error report, other times it
    > gives me the blue screen of death. The information it gives me on the blue
    > screen varies. Sometimes it's a non page file fault and other times it's the
    > nv4.disp fault.

    I used to have random lock-ups with my 6600gt but it disappeared after I
    re-installed all my drivers (LAN, IDE, AGP, Nvidia, sound) and lowered
    AGP speed to 4x.

    Hi;
    nv4.disp = PSU under powered most of the time.

    Hello and thanks for helping,

    To give more details about the problem:
    Firstly, I can actually play the games, however, the crashes are random and
    different. I do hold my breath when the actual gameplay is being loaded or
    I've chosen to restart a level.

    As stated, the BSOD states either the nv4.disp or a nonpage file fault. And
    now a new one has appeared: "A wait operation, attach process, or a yield
    was attempted from a DPC routine" It then gives the ***STOP: 0x00000000
    along with another 4 sets of 0s.

    Sometimes the system doesn't show the BSOD but just restarts or tries to
    restart and leaves my monitor LED blinking.

    I have tried taking out a stick of RAM, swapping them, using both of them on
    their own and using Non-Dual channel. For a moment I thought one of the
    sticks was faulty but now there seems to be no difference whichever method I
    try.

    My specs are:
    Athlon XP 3200+ Barton
    2 x 512MB PC3200 400Mhz RAM (Kingston Value)
    Gigabyte Geforce 6600GT AGP
    Gigabyte GA-7N400PRO2 MOBO v.02 FK
    Antec Sonata Midi Tower Trupower 380W PSU
    Thermaltake Bigwater Cooling +VGA block.

    Everything seemed to be working fine at one point. I'm going to play
    Half-Life 2 for a while because if this crashes then it's certainly nothing
    to do with new hardware. I've played this game with no crashes whatsoever
    and I haven't changed any hardware since then. After that, and as advised,
    I'll have a go at reinstalling all the MOBO drivers etc.

    Many thanks again and please let me know if you've got anymore suggestions.
    I REALLY appreciate it.

    David

    David wrote:
    > As stated, the BSOD states either the nv4.disp or a nonpage file fault. And
    > now a new one has appeared: "A wait operation, attach process, or a yield
    > was attempted from a DPC routine" It then gives the ***STOP: 0x00000000
    > along with another 4 sets of 0s.

    Sounds familiar. I had random freezes and reboots after I upgraded to
    6600GT. Sometimes after reboot my monitor switched to power saving mode
    and I had to power my PC down and up again to get picture. Finally seems
    like removing and reinstalling all drivers (LAN, IDE, AGP, sound, NVidia
    etc. etc.) solved the problem for me. Haven't had lock-ups in a few days
    now after this driver operation.

    I wrote:

[...]

    Well I've had a go on Half-Life 2 and as feared, it produces the same
    result: CRASHES!

    Since then, I've tried using older Nvidia drivers, re-installed all of the
    MOBO drivers, taking the 6000GT out of it's AGP slot and putting it back in,
    all to no avail.

    I've noticed that my C drive is quite fragmented (this stores Windows
    itself, my games folder is on the D drive) BUT the defragment option is
    greyed out for some reason so there's another problem (see
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain) to sort out!

    Also I've tried to use a program called #1-TuffTest that analyses the state
    of the RAM. The program puts itself on a floppy, you reboot your PC and
    away you go. The only problem, the program fails to put it on a floppy! It
    seems one thing after another.

    This is turning out to be a nightmare. It could be a software problem, it
    could be a hardware problem. It could be the hard drive, the RAM, the
    6600GT, the MOBO.......

    If anyone else has any more suggestions, please let me know. Thanks again.

    David
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    David kirjoitti:
    > I wrote:
    >
    > Hello and thanks for helping,
    >
    > To give more details about the problem:
    > Firstly, I can actually play the games, however, the crashes are random and
    > different. I do hold my breath when the actual gameplay is being loaded or
    > I've chosen to restart a level.
    > As stated, the BSOD states either the nv4.disp or a nonpage file fault. And
    > now a new one has appeared: "A wait operation, attach process, or a yield
    > was attempted from a DPC routine" It then gives the ***STOP: 0x00000000
    > along with another 4 sets of 0s.
    > Sometimes the system doesn't show the BSOD but just restarts or tries to
    > restart and leaves my monitor LED blinking.
    >
    > I have tried taking out a stick of RAM, swapping them, using both of them on
    > their own and using Non-Dual channel. For a moment I thought one of the
    > sticks was faulty but now there seems to be no difference whichever method I
    > try.
    >
    > My specs are:
    > Athlon XP 3200+ Barton
    > 2 x 512MB PC3200 400Mhz RAM (Kingston Value)
    > Gigabyte Geforce 6600GT AGP
    > Gigabyte GA-7N400PRO2 MOBO v.02 FK
    > Antec Sonata Midi Tower Trupower 380W PSU
    > Thermaltake Bigwater Cooling +VGA block.
    >
    > Everything seemed to be working fine at one point. I'm going to play
    > Half-Life 2 for a while because if this crashes then it's certainly nothing
    > to do with new hardware. I've played this game with no crashes whatsoever
    > and I haven't changed any hardware since then. After that, and as advised,
    > I'll have a go at reinstalling all the MOBO drivers etc.
    >
    > Many thanks again and please let me know if you've got anymore suggestions.
    > I REALLY appreciate it.
    >
    > David

    > Well I've had a go on Half-Life 2 and as feared, it produces the same
    > result: CRASHES!
    >
    > Since then, I've tried using older Nvidia drivers, re-installed all of the
    > MOBO drivers, taking the 6000GT out of it's AGP slot and putting it back in,
    > all to no avail.
    >
    > I've noticed that my C drive is quite fragmented (this stores Windows
    > itself, my games folder is on the D drive) BUT the defragment option is
    > greyed out for some reason so there's another problem (see
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain) to sort out!
    >
    > Also I've tried to use a program called #1-TuffTest that analyses the state
    > of the RAM. The program puts itself on a floppy, you reboot your PC and
    > away you go. The only problem, the program fails to put it on a floppy! It
    > seems one thing after another.
    >
    > This is turning out to be a nightmare. It could be a software problem, it
    > could be a hardware problem. It could be the hard drive, the RAM, the
    > 6600GT, the MOBO.......
    >
    > If anyone else has any more suggestions, please let me know. Thanks again.
    >
    > David

    Random (but constant) crashes with different reasons/programs does sound
    like RAM problems or overheating. The overheating issue is checked
    easily enough; get a program that monitors temperatures, and see if they
    are at alarming levels.

    RAM faultyness is a bit harder to test. MEMTEST works the same way as
    Tufftest you mentioned, you could try it. Also see you BIOS memory
    timing settings, maybe they are set too high?

    Could even be a hard drive problem (if it doesn't allow defragmenting).
    Do you have SMART monitoring enabled in BIOS?
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    I have put in different RAM now and I still get crashes. I suppose that
    rules out the possibility of the RAM being faulty.

    I have looked in the BIOS to see the SMART monitoring but it looks as if my
    MOBO doesn't have that.

    Also I have checked the CPU temp in the BIOS and it says 91c!!!!!
    My own sensor that is stuck next to the core says 42c. Apparently, it is
    known that this MOBO has problems in displaying the correct temps through
    the BIOS but this is ridiculous. Before I installed water cooling my sensor
    use to display 74c. How can I get the correct temp, it doesn't feel that hot
    at all when I touch it. Thanks again. David

> [...]
    >> could be a hardware problem. It could be the hard drive, the RAM, the
    >> 6600GT, the MOBO.......
    >>
    >> If anyone else has any more suggestions, please let me know. Thanks
    >> again.
    >>
    >> David
    >
    > Random (but constant) crashes with different reasons/programs does sound
    > like RAM problems or overheating. The overheating issue is checked easily
    > enough; get a program that monitors temperatures, and see if they are at
    > alarming levels.
    >
    > RAM faultyness is a bit harder to test. MEMTEST works the same way as
    > Tufftest you mentioned, you could try it. Also see you BIOS memory timing
    > settings, maybe they are set too high?
    >
    > Could even be a hard drive problem (if it doesn't allow defragmenting). Do
    > you have SMART monitoring enabled in BIOS?
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    David wrote:

    > I have put in different RAM now and I still get crashes. I suppose that
    > rules out the possibility of the RAM being faulty.
    >
    > I have looked in the BIOS to see the SMART monitoring but it looks as if
    > my MOBO doesn't have that.
    >
    > Also I have checked the CPU temp in the BIOS and it says 91c!!!!!
    > My own sensor that is stuck next to the core says 42c. Apparently, it is
    > known that this MOBO has problems in displaying the correct temps through
    > the BIOS but this is ridiculous. Before I installed water cooling my
    > sensor use to display 74c. How can I get the correct temp, it doesn't feel
    > that hot at all when I touch it. Thanks again. David

    What doesn't feel that hot? Classic symptom of a poorly mounted heat sink
    is that the device being cooled reports a high temperature but the heat
    sink is cool.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate