Sign in with
Your question

Bench press

Last response: in Sports & Wellness
May 16, 2011 3:20:24 PM

is 160kg x6 reps good?

age , 21
been working out for 1.5 years
started at 11st now 16st - 100% natural.

Post your stats and max lifts.

More about : bench press

May 16, 2011 5:20:21 PM

Is 160kg roughly 350lbs? If so, not bad at all.

I haven't lifted since my sophomore year of college, but I was into it from my jr. year or high school until then. The best I did- one rep max- was 225lbs (by the skin of my teeth). I couldn't do that now if my life counted on it.
May 17, 2011 1:09:00 PM

buwish said:
Is 160kg roughly 350lbs? If so, not bad at all.

I haven't lifted since my sophomore year of college, but I was into it from my jr. year or high school until then. The best I did- one rep max- was 225lbs (by the skin of my teeth). I couldn't do that now if my life counted on it.

Yeah around that, thats a good lift, its 100kg, its hard work making the gym a routine and making some good progression.
Related resources
May 17, 2011 5:29:22 PM

I couldn't agree more. It's all about sticking with it, which is easier said than done. With work, family, kids, life in general, etc... it's hard to make it to the gym on a consistent basis. I don't have a family and such, but with work and such, it's still hard.

At the time I thought it was pretty good. I'm not a big guy stature wise, i.e. I'm only 5'6" and at the time probably weighed 150'ish, but that's when I was hitting it hard, i.e. 4 days a week religiously.
May 29, 2011 2:13:30 PM

Sup, Im benching 125KG at 6 reps doing 3 sets. Max lift was 165KG. I do more cardio then weights at the moment. Im 5'8 weighing 13 stone 10 pounds. Cant shift my belly fat which is a pain in the ass. When you say 100% natural, does that mean youve never tried whey protein as im thinking of using it. My diet consists of cereal with skimmed milk for breakfast and lunch every day then rice noodles and chicken or turkey for dinner. I drink heavily on friday night :)  and smoke. These are my vices. Any tips. All the internet stuff on how lose fat is crap.
May 29, 2011 5:02:47 PM

We all have our vices. However, progress could be had by cutting down on the drinking (not as much) and cutting back on the smoking, especially the smoking. If you give your lungs a chance to clear up you'll be able to push more oxygen to your muscles, which in turn leads to more efficient lifts.

I use to take whey protein (the powder) back in the day, at least when I first started. I found that it didn't do much and was a waste of money. So long as you have a good diet rich in protein, you'll get all the protein you need.
June 7, 2011 8:28:32 AM

chrissuperstar said:
Sup, Im benching 125KG at 6 reps doing 3 sets. Max lift was 165KG. I do more cardio then weights at the moment. Im 5'8 weighing 13 stone 10 pounds. Cant shift my belly fat which is a pain in the ass. When you say 100% natural, does that mean youve never tried whey protein as im thinking of using it. My diet consists of cereal with skimmed milk for breakfast and lunch every day then rice noodles and chicken or turkey for dinner. I drink heavily on friday night :)  and smoke. These are my vices. Any tips. All the internet stuff on how lose fat is crap.

Hey mate, that a good lift. In terms of 100% natural I meant no steroids, I see lots and lots of lads my age or younger taking steroids yet their strength is not all that, max I have ever saw in my gym was some guy aged 20 lifting 110kg.

Yes, i think whey protein is essential to weight training. Unless your eating lots of protein rich foods, your body could do with the extra protein. Around 150-250g per day depending on body weight. I also have taken pre workout such as NO XPLODE and creatine + vitamins.

I also agree on the belly fat issue, so hard to shift, answer is simply do more cardio and cut back on food, but then you will lose strength and some muscle. All depends on your goals i guess, my plan is to get big and strong and then cut back a little and lean up.

Since working out, I havnt touched alcohol, so bad for muscle building asit prohibits the muscle repair process, not to mention decreasing your testosterone and increase in fat. Its always a good thing to cut back on alcohol and dont have these one night binge drinking.

I guess its just keeping the balance right. :bounce: 
June 7, 2011 5:09:01 PM

I'm a skinny runner. I probably can't do more than 140 or 150 for any decent number of reps, but I can run 4:31 :D 
June 7, 2011 5:17:32 PM

Last time I tried that was when I was 14, I think I did 200lbs
Since then, Im sure Ive lifted alot more, just not in the gym

PS Do transmissions count?
June 7, 2011 9:24:30 PM

Yes, yes they do. I've removed a few transmissions to change clutches on various vehicles I've had over the years (obviously, I prefer manuals) by myself. It's a good work out essentially bench pressing a large chunk of metal and gears.

The clutch on my 04' Mach 1 Mustang is starting to crap out (first clutch though, so it has lasted awhile), so I suspect a "work out" shall be coming soon.
June 16, 2011 8:56:55 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
I have had a max bench of 355!

beast , whats that 161kg?
June 16, 2011 2:41:27 PM

I used to be really into it all when i was in the Army (British), I was a tank mechanic with the REME (Royal Electrical & Mechanical Engineers), with this job everything was naturally heavy, in trade training the test was to see if you could lift the Engine Deck louvres off a Chieftain & Challenger on your own, another test was seeing if you could hold the tension of a track whilst it was having a link changed out, wed try this by attaching a large rope to one end of the track link and the other around yourself while your mate knocked the track pin out with a sledgehammer.

Heres a pic of me, i was only 18 when it was taken during trade training, im the one at the back 2nd from left with the tear going into his Beret.

June 17, 2011 2:59:28 AM

Great to know I'm not the only gym rat/computer nerd lol

Weight: 175
Height: 5' 11"

Lifts Max
Bench 265
Squat 335
Deadlift 345

All nat. Except for protien, conditioning and powerlifting for me, more than bodybuilding. Gym M-F as long as time allows, but school usually gets in my way.

Traning to get
B 315
S 405
D 405
At 185 lbs for my senior year
June 21, 2011 8:04:12 AM

oz73942 said:
Great to know I'm not the only gym rat/computer nerd lol

Weight: 175
Height: 5' 11"

Lifts Max
Bench 265
Squat 335
Deadlift 345

All nat. Except for protien, conditioning and powerlifting for me, more than bodybuilding. Gym M-F as long as time allows, but school usually gets in my way.

Traning to get
B 315
S 405
D 405
At 185 lbs for my senior year

Rare species us lot lol. I myself try to lift for strength rather than bodybuild. Nothin better than outlifting people twice as big as you.

Your lifts are great for your age, wish i started when I was younger, wait til your my age.
June 21, 2011 5:26:22 PM

started at 11st now 16st

My question is what does that mean? is the 11st 11 stone? I know thats a form of weight measurement (I think lol) How heavy would that be in LBS?
June 21, 2011 5:32:47 PM

I'm twice your age. Started out with weight training in high school in 11th grade, loved it, but soon work and life got in the way. Max bench in high school was 230lbs.

Now 20yrs later, just started going back to the gym and biking the nearby trail.

Im 6ft, 204lbs. Was 217lbs in January. Sprained foot and couldn't do anything for nearly 7 weeks, that set me back, but I was able to maintain 204lbs.

Biking 9 miles 3x a week on the bike trail, no stroll in the park, fast as I can, no breaks, wind is always different.

Doing resistance training (incline bench, preacher curls, lateral fly's) to firm up my chest and arms, and biking in the gym 30minutes 2X a week.

Not a lot more I can do since I've already had 2 back surgeries (lumbar), the first being in 1991 and the second in 2000. Also have a herniated disk and 2 bulging disks in my neck (cervical).

Keep up the good work and take care of your backs.
June 23, 2011 7:59:13 AM

cburke82 said:
started at 11st now 16st

My question is what does that mean? is the 11st 11 stone? I know thats a form of weight measurement (I think lol) How heavy would that be in LBS?

yeah sorry, its stone, there are 14 lbs per stone
June 23, 2011 12:50:42 PM

geekapproved said:
I'm twice your age. Started out with weight training in high school in 11th grade, loved it, but soon work and life got in the way. Max bench in high school was 230lbs.

Now 20yrs later, just started going back to the gym and biking the nearby trail.

Im 6ft, 204lbs. Was 217lbs in January. Sprained foot and couldn't do anything for nearly 7 weeks, that set me back, but I was able to maintain 204lbs.

Biking 9 miles 3x a week on the bike trail, no stroll in the park, fast as I can, no breaks, wind is always different.

Doing resistance training (incline bench, preacher curls, lateral fly's) to firm up my chest and arms, and biking in the gym 30minutes 2X a week.

Not a lot more I can do since I've already had 2 back surgeries (lumbar), the first being in 1991 and the second in 2000. Also have a herniated disk and 2 bulging disks in my neck (cervical).

Keep up the good work and take care of your backs.

well its good your getting back into it all. I to have experienced various injuries from lifting heavy weights. My most recent is my collar bone, it aches like hell when benching. Its after I put the weight back on the rack it hurts. Hopefully push through it.

Wow 2 operations on your back, how did you injure it?
July 1, 2011 3:52:20 AM

Nice to see a fitness section on this board!

I've been lifting steadily the past year and a half, but the past month or so I kind of just stopped altogether (new job and adjusting to a different work schedule). When I started off I took the bodybuilding path but later found myself bored of the slow slow gains. It was about 4 months before I've stopped when I changed up my routines to a power lifting type. I LOVE to eat, so that helped a great load; went off protein around that same time too! Here's my stats up until last month:

5'11 203-205lbs
Bench: 315x4
Squat: 405x4
Deadlift: 455x4

Weak chest I know, but all of my pressing movements are my weak areas. I need to jump back into lifting again and hopefully I can come back with something to brag about lol.
July 1, 2011 11:37:26 AM

140 kg is not a weak bench mate. far from it. especially for a year and half training.
July 1, 2011 11:40:58 AM

your dead lift and squat is impressive!

i can only do 100kg deadlift and 150kg squat , need to work on those areas :( 
July 1, 2011 6:32:54 PM

Thanks! Legs and back days are my favorite since i can go really heavy without too much spotting, whereas chest and shoulder days are weaker since my partner doesnt know how to spot too well. I dont want anything to fall on me and not be able to lift it up lol. I was overweight before so my legs and core tend to be stronger than any other parts of my body. I wish i can bench at least 355-375, around where you're at.
July 1, 2011 6:34:57 PM

Oh and I've been lifting on and off since high school (6-8 years), so it's not too hard for my muscles to get back into the swing of things.
July 5, 2011 10:22:43 PM

Good old fashioned muscle memory...it never fades. ;) 
July 6, 2011 12:01:34 AM

That's what I love about lifting weights!
July 7, 2011 11:03:21 AM

toneekay said:
Thanks! Legs and back days are my favorite since i can go really heavy without too much spotting, whereas chest and shoulder days are weaker since my partner doesnt know how to spot too well. I dont want anything to fall on me and not be able to lift it up lol. I was overweight before so my legs and core tend to be stronger than any other parts of my body. I wish i can bench at least 355-375, around where you're at.

Man i really need to work on my back and legs, only really just started doing deadlift as hated them, was hard to get form right, but now finally getting there. I dont think any of us want the weights fallin on us lol. You will get there mate just keep pushin them heavy weights. Its so hard to gain muscle and strength. I usually hit a wall and then somehow I break through and increase strength. My mate has gone to the dark side and is using steroids to catch me up lol, to be fair it has increased his strength and size a little but he still cant touch me, just goes to show natural is best. We both been training the same time aswell! lol. Hes trying to do everything to beat me, he hates it :kaola: 

Just upped the game on my shoulder dumbell press from 42kg to 50kg, doesnt sound like much but 8kg extra on each shoulder feels much heavier!

Also need to start eating better, cleaner. More of the good stuff less of the bad stuff
July 7, 2011 4:46:43 PM

Yea, I've always been weak in the chest/shoulder press, and it hasn't been until I started deadlifting and squating heavy till my pressing movements shot up. Kind of funny since most of the things people say online about squating and deadlifting will help all areas of the body, but it seems to work for me lol.

Steroids won't do much if you don't have the technique, routine, diet, and discipline down. If it was you that started to jump on the juice, given you know your stuff with lifting, you'll be farrr ahead of your friend in so little time.

Congrats on the shoulder db press gains! I'm only stuck on 80lbs and can't seem to push any higher without my muscles feeling being crushed under the weight lol. I'm on the same boat with you about eating better, cleaner. Ever since I've stopped caring about bodybuilding and focused more on strength building I've just been eating anything and everything.... lol.
August 2, 2011 3:17:38 PM

time for me to go on a cutting diet,man the planning is hard work, i figured i need around 3500 to maintain and 3000 to cut. No good having the muscle if you cant see it. want to be around 13% bf which i guess will take about 3 months losing 1lb a week.

Going to do it gradually so i dont lose strength and muscle
August 2, 2011 5:11:28 PM

dhicks19 said:
time for me to go on a cutting diet,man the planning is hard work, i figured i need around 3500 to maintain and 3000 to cut. No good having the muscle if you cant see it. want to be around 13% bf which i guess will take about 3 months losing 1lb a week.

Going to do it gradually so i dont lose strength and muscle

Whats your strategy/routine looking like? Im right in the middle of a pretty hardcore powerlifting style routine, but as soon as im done im going to be looking to cut
August 2, 2011 5:47:06 PM

What's your height/weight/BF so far D?
August 3, 2011 9:33:10 AM

I am 5ft 11/224 Lbs or 16 stone/ Bf around 18%. When I first started I was around 12 - 13%. Can still see my abs even tho im high BF, cant wait to get back down to how I used to be BF wise. Hopefully will maintain strength and muscle mass.

As for my strategy, this is first time dieting properly.

I have created a spreadsheet, I record everything I eat on there basically and dont go over calorie limit. It also works out macronutrient percentage, Aiming for 35 carbs 45 protein 20 fat.

Also recording bf and strength every week along with weight obv.

Also on my gym days, upping the calories by 500. Just going to track it for a few weeks and adjust accordingly. If I dont lose weight, drop by a further 300.

Routine is the same as b4. Keep lifting heavy and maintain. Also mixing it up a little by doing the groups on different days each week with chest every 4 days

Yeah I was loving the powerlifting phase, i loved being stronger than most people but its now or never, if i keep powerlifting I will end up at an even higher BF %.
August 3, 2011 7:05:25 PM

dam 224 lbs at 5ft 11 ???? I consider myself pretty big, but im only pulling close to 180lbs at somewhere around 5 11 (havent checked my height in a while).

Did you go through a bulking up phase to get to that weight?

Yea routine is killing me pretty bad to, but it should pay off. conditioning everyday in the morning, lifting in the afternoon.
With chest once on a heavy routine, and everything else normal, but my current routine has me doing squat 3 times a week (sounds crazy but seeing major results, had to cut deadlift back though for a bit)
August 4, 2011 8:20:10 AM

Yes but im around 18% BF, so I will prob be around 200-210 lbs at 13% BF when I cut down. To be honest I have never controlled my diet until now. Some days i ate little some days I ate alot. Just by doing this diet I have now realised the importance of diet control and calorie intake for building muscle aswell as cutting. Bet I could of gained more mass if I kept my diet at bulk calories everyday.

What is your BF %?

Squats 3 times a week, omg, I could prob do it twice but once is enough.

What weights are you liftin on your compounds?
Squats
Bench Press
Shoulder Press
Deadlift
August 4, 2011 2:58:55 PM

Lol this cutting diet is killing me, Im constantly hungry as in stomach is empty. Will have to monitor my weight closely, dont wanna be losing muscle now.

Also I have wrote out a proper 3 month routine plan. I figured that I always lift heavy and eventually plateau. This new route consists of 6 weeks supersets, 1 week volume, 6 weeks heavy, 1 week supersets, 6 weeks volume etc etc.

See how we get on, hopefully wont go backwards but if I do i know Im born to eat big and lift heavy and will get back to the old routine/diet lol.

August 4, 2011 4:36:07 PM

It's awesome that a thread exists for us nerds that like to hit the gym too...

Haven't been in to actually lift with free weights in some time - having two little ones really gets in the way of any free time. Would love to get back.

I struggle with wanting to lose weight and being hungry too...it's just no fun.

You guys have any good ideas about what to do at home (outside of pushups)?

Maybe I should get a bench for the basement.
August 4, 2011 9:59:21 PM

huron said:

Haven't been in to actually lift with free weights in some time - having two little ones really gets in the way of any free time. Would love to get back.

If you have anything like cynder blocks, heavy chains, old care tires, etc, you could get creative and workout with those outside.

For example:
Pushups with chains

Measure a couple feet/yards of distance and transport the blocks from point to point.

Squats with the chains.

Stacking of blocks with in a time limit

Behind hand tricep extensions with the blocks

Dips or pull ups with chains

lunges with the blocks

Tire flips

Trying to think of some good inside workouts lol, since all of these are outside. They should help on your conditioning as well as strength just be sure to belt and glove up so you dont get so beat with the rough materials.

August 5, 2011 12:42:43 AM

5'11" @ 225lbs w/ 18% BF... Wow, you must be stacked! I always considered anything below 20% BF to be a little on the leaner side (only because I float around that weight /% lol). I'm not sure if this may help, but something I've been done that helped me get from 30% to 20% while maintaining as much muscle as possible was:

- Calorie/carb cycle (which you're already doing): Eating around 500-100 calories/ 50-100g surplus on lifting days (for me it was 4 days a week), and less on off days.
- Use powerlifting set/rep scheme for heavy compounds, and high rep for accessory lifts
- Cardio in the morning & lift in the evening
- DIET DIET DIET!

^ Those several things helped me cut down from 30% to just under 20% in about 3 months with strength and mass somewhat still intact.
August 5, 2011 2:24:54 AM

dhicks19 said:

What is your BF %?

Squats 3 times a week, omg, I could prob do it twice but once is enough.

What weights are you liftin on your compounds?
Squats
Bench Press
Shoulder Press
Deadlift

I did a crude/rough online test (need to get my hands on a bmi device) it gave me about 17%. The one thing i cant seem to get is my lower abs at all, i can see my upper but my lower are crap.

What do you mean by compounds? (first time i've heard that)
August 5, 2011 8:01:59 AM

huron said:

Dam right, not many it nerds that like to work out lol. Yeah i bet it gets in the way, I have got all that to experience yet.
In terms of inside workouts, there are loads of good articles on google for when you cant get to the gym.

August 5, 2011 8:07:23 AM

toneekay said:
5'11" @ 225lbs w/ 18% BF... Wow, you must be stacked! I always considered anything below 20% BF to be a little on the leaner side (only because I float around that weight /% lol). I'm not sure if this may help, but something I've been done that helped me get from 30% to 20% while maintaining as much muscle as possible was:

- Calorie/carb cycle (which you're already doing): Eating around 500-100 calories/ 50-100g surplus on lifting days (for me it was 4 days a week), and less on off days.
- Use powerlifting set/rep scheme for heavy compounds, and high rep for accessory lifts
- Cardio in the morning & lift in the evening
- DIET DIET DIET!

^ Those several things helped me cut down from 30% to just under 20% in about 3 months with strength and mass somewhat still intact.

Im somewhat big but no where near what I want to be. Be interesting to see what weight I end up at when I cut this BF and see whats left of me lol. Congrats on dropping the BF mate thats good in 3 months! Hope I can do that!
Yeah will give it a go cheers, well my maintenance cals is 3830 ish so on days off I cut it by 500 to 3330 and on gym days I up it to around 4000. See where I am in a weeks time in terms of weight. I did a beast leg work out yday managed to squat 10kg heavier, although I have not long started this diet lol.

Also started taking casein,glutamine,hmb,cromium,ALA,flax oil to aid me a little.

Man my mate has just finished his steroid cycle and has finished roughly 20kg weaker than me on bench and 40kg on squat, he thinks this is his time to beat me as he thinks I am going to lose everything. Hes one of them people who just cant stand being 2nd lol..... cant let him win!!!
August 5, 2011 8:10:27 AM

oz73942 said:
I did a crude/rough online test (need to get my hands on a bmi device) it gave me about 17%. The one thing i cant seem to get is my lower abs at all, i can see my upper but my lower are crap.

What do you mean by compounds? (first time i've heard that)

Yeah in terms of BF, its really hard to get an accurate reading even with calipers. BMI devices are lame, said my body index was OBESE! lol, yes lower abs are the hardest as men tend to store more fat on lower abs, its where i need to work on too. diet/excerise is the way forwards. Also try some knee ups and legs ups etc.

Compound excercises work multiple muscles.

All the big movements like:

Bench press, squats ,deadlifts etc.
August 5, 2011 5:15:39 PM

dhicks19 said:
Im somewhat big but no where near what I want to be. Be interesting to see what weight I end up at when I cut this BF and see whats left of me lol. Congrats on dropping the BF mate thats good in 3 months! Hope I can do that!
Yeah will give it a go cheers, well my maintenance cals is 3830 ish so on days off I cut it by 500 to 3330 and on gym days I up it to around 4000. See where I am in a weeks time in terms of weight. I did a beast leg work out yday managed to squat 10kg heavier, although I have not long started this diet lol.

Also started taking casein,glutamine,hmb,cromium,ALA,flax oil to aid me a little.

Man my mate has just finished his steroid cycle and has finished roughly 20kg weaker than me on bench and 40kg on squat, he thinks this is his time to beat me as he thinks I am going to lose everything. Hes one of them people who just cant stand being 2nd lol..... cant let him win!!!

I would try to lower your off day cals another 300 or so; on days looks like a solid intake. Good luck on this journey you're about to take yourself through, it takes a lot of discipline and determination as you already know!
August 5, 2011 8:52:00 PM

dhicks19 said:
Compound excercises work multiple muscles.

All the big movements like:

Bench press, squats ,deadlifts etc.

Gotcha Primary's

Heres my current routines:

For Bench, was at 265 moving to 290 then 315

Squat 335 going to 360 then 405

Deadlift 365 moving to 405

These are most of my secondary workouts to aid in the strength

And a Tracker I made using excel

Currently in week 5 of everything

The way im balancing it is by doing:
Mon. Chest along with day 1 of squats,
Tue. is an arm day,
Wed. is day 2 of squats,
Thurs. triceps, and Back
Fri. day 3 of squats and if Im not to worn out, either a brief medium deadlift or benchpress training with chains, bands, etc.

Deadlift will start it back up as soon as im done with the squat program, but even though I havent deadlifted in about 4 weeks my max jumped from 335 to 365 (I'm guessing the squat has helped a lot)

Running on mornings
Eleptical on evenings
Doing ab circuits on Mon, Wed, and Fri (hardest thing of all lol)
Last time i wieghed myself I was about 178lbs
August 7, 2011 11:11:59 AM

Nice planning you got there. See you have a good routine. I will upload mine when I get chance. Weighed myself again this morning and in total lost 3lbs in a week. Worrying me now lol, at that rate I will burn muscle tissue. So i have bumped up my cals by a further 500 per day so its 3800 to lose around 1lb a week and 4800 cals gym days.

See where I am in another week. hopefully should lose it more slowly.

I guess its a combination of it being my first diet and eating 6 meals a day making my metabolism work all day long
August 8, 2011 1:53:10 PM

well did a back/shoulder session yesterday and it was amazing. was slightly stronger and could do more reps. I can hardly move today due to doms, feels like the first time i went the gym. I thought on calorie deficit, you maintained or got slightly weaker? Maybe its the 6 meals a day giving me constant fuel...... either way looking good so far 15 stone and 9lbs, feel leaner already and my abs are slightly more visable. Hopefully will get there in the end.
August 9, 2011 12:44:54 PM

dhicks19 said:
well did a back/shoulder session yesterday and it was amazing. was slightly stronger and could do more reps. I can hardly move today due to doms, feels like the first time i went the gym. I thought on calorie deficit, you maintained or got slightly weaker? Maybe its the 6 meals a day giving me constant fuel...... either way looking good so far 15 stone and 9lbs, feel leaner already and my abs are slightly more visable. Hopefully will get there in the end.

Sweet, you should do some before and after pictures to better judge your end results. How long is your cutting phase?
August 9, 2011 1:48:23 PM

oz73942 said:
Sweet, you should do some before and after pictures to better judge your end results. How long is your cutting phase?

Yeah man good idea. Around 3 months I think. Feel full of energy eating 6 meals a day.
August 23, 2011 8:04:18 AM

update: losing around 1lb a week now, 15:7 atm, minimal if any strength loss
!