Solved

Can I dual boot Win7 32bit and 64 bit with the same SN#?

I got my Win7 upgrade to Vista 32 bit installed today- it came with both versions. Will MS let me register the 64bit version if it lives on the same machine with the same SN#? I guess I could try and find out- but wanted to ask before spending time partitioning drives and running the install.
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about dual boot win7 32bit
  1. In reality, there's nothing stopping you from doing it, but technically you are only supposed to have either 32 or 64 bit installed on one PC at a time.
  2. If you are worried about something not working under 64 bit, why not keep the Vista 32 bit instaltion intact and install the W7 64 bit upgrade to a new partition.
    You will need to use the Custom instalation for the 64 bit either way.
  3. Best answer
    The_Prophecy said:
    In reality, there's nothing stopping you from doing it, but technically you are only supposed to have either 32 or 64 bit installed on one PC at a time.

^yep, you can only go full 64 bit or full 32 bit.. not both though =[
  4. rambo117 said:
    ^yep, you can only go full 64 bit or full 32 bit.. not both though =[

I tried installing 64bit on a new partition, but after it went through set up and file copying phase, it re-booted right back into my 32 bit install without option for "select which OS would you like to boot"- it would not continue installation process.
    There might be a hack, but it's not something Microsoft provides for "out of the box".
Ask a new question

Read More

Dual Boot Windows Vista Windows 7