disable windows automatic configuration of wireless network

Hi there,

I'm really at a loss here, and Windows support is no help at all.

I've got a wireless card from D-Link(DWL G650), which works flawlessly with my home wireless router(same brand). No problems, fast, wonderful. However, even though the D-Link configuration utility tool is installed (the interface that should allow me to decide which available network to connect to), I can't get it to launch, because Windows XP (home) overrides this with its own automatic configuration of wireless networks.

I want to disable Windows from automatically configuring my wireless settings so that I can use the D-link utility instead, simply because Windows does not show any available wireless networks, even though I am connected to one as we speak. I know for a fact that the D-link utility works better with this card than the windows one... I just can't figure out a way to make that happen.

To disable Windows automatic configuration, windows help is telling me I should

1) open network connections
2) right-click on my wireless connection
3) go to properties
4) click on the wireless tab and finally
5) uncheck the box that says "use windows to configure my wireless settings"...
but, there is NO wireless tab. Only a General tab, and an Advanced tab.

I've uninstalled my card and driver, reinstalled it, no matter what I do, instead of defaulting to using the configuration utility that comes with the card, it reverts to the Windows configuration utility, which for some reason does not recognize any networks at all... even though I have one and it's working fine at home.

If I take my computer to another location (at a coffee shop for instance) where they have wireless access, windows will not recognize that there is a network there either, and I cannot connect at all.

If anyone can help, I would appreciate.

Thanks

Greetings mag7,

Since there is no Wireless tab, make sure the Wireless Zero Configuration
(WZC) service status is started. Click Start, Run, and type "services.msc".
Open Services and scroll down to the Wireless Zero Configuration Service,
start the service, and then set it to automatic.

________________
Eric Cross, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)

"mag7" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I'm really at a loss here, and Windows support is no help at all.
>
> I've got a wireless card from D-Link(DWL G650), which works flawlessly
with my home wireless router(same brand). No problems, fast, wonderful.
However, even though the D-Link configuration utility tool is installed (the
interface that should allow me to decide which available network to connect
to), I can't get it to launch, because Windows XP (home) overrides this with
its own automatic configuration of wireless networks.

> I want to disable Windows from automatically configuring my wireless
settings so that I can use the D-link utility instead, simply because
Windows does not show any available wireless networks, even though I am
connected to one as we speak. I know for a fact that the D-link utility
works better with this card than the windows one... I just can't figure out
a way to make that happen.

> To disable Windows automatic configuration, windows help is telling me I
should

> 1) open network connections
> 2) right-click on my wireless connection
> 3) go to properties
> 4) click on the wireless tab and finally
> 5) uncheck the box that says "use windows to configure my wireless
settings"...
> but, there is NO wireless tab. Only a General tab, and an Advanced tab.
>
> I've uninstalled my card and driver, reinstalled it, no matter what I do,
instead of defaulting to using the configuration utility that comes with the
card, it reverts to the Windows configuration utility, which for some reason
does not recognize any networks at all... even though I have one and it's
working fine at home.

> If I take my computer to another location (at a coffee shop for instance)
where they have wireless access, windows will not recognize that there is a
network there either, and I cannot connect at all.

> If anyone can help, I would appreciate.
>
> Thanks

Make sure that the Windows Zero Configuration service is running and check the following KB for drivers that may not support the WZC service.
How to Troubleshoot Wireless Network Connections in Windows XP WGID:374
ID: 313242.KB
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=313242

--------------------

--
Sergio Moreno
Microsoft Windows Networking

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.

Hi
Un-check the box which says (in the properties box for the network device)
"Use windows to configure my wireless network settings"
Then the D-Link's interface should work

Regards
HubSwitch