Which is better for directx?

I know there are two main apis for games, opengl and directx.

It happens that almost all of the games i play are directx.

So I was wondering if Nvisia cards or Ati cards are better in the area of
directx compatiblity.

I know this is sort of an opinion thing but please tell me what you have
heard or what your experience has been.

And remember, I am not asking which card is better over all, I assume that
since this is a Nvidia group you all thing Nvidia is better. But how about
in that one little area.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

shawk

"Patrick Pierson" <brindle1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I know there are two main apis for games, opengl and directx.
>
> It happens that almost all of the games i play are directx.
>
> So I was wondering if Nvisia cards or Ati cards are better in the area of
> directx compatiblity.
>
> I know this is sort of an opinion thing but please tell me what you have
> heard or what your experience has been.
>
> And remember, I am not asking which card is better over all, I assume that
> since this is a Nvidia group you all thing Nvidia is better. But how about
> in that one little area.
>
> Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

Generally NVidia seems to handle OpenGL better and ATI handles DX better.

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 17:45:00 +0100, "Shawk"
<shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

>"Patrick Pierson" <brindle1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>I know there are two main apis for games, opengl and directx.
>>
>> It happens that almost all of the games i play are directx.
>>
>> So I was wondering if Nvisia cards or Ati cards are better in the area of
>> directx compatiblity.
>>
>> I know this is sort of an opinion thing but please tell me what you have
>> heard or what your experience has been.
>>
>> And remember, I am not asking which card is better over all, I assume that
>> since this is a Nvidia group you all thing Nvidia is better. But how about
>> in that one little area.
>>
>> Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

>Generally NVidia seems to handle OpenGL better and ATI handles DX better.

Pure, unadulterated bovine scatology.

I doubt either mfg is better at DirectX. Nvidia's drivers *may* be
better at OGL, since they have a long track record for supporting
high-end workstation class graphic cards, but I doubt the difference
is significant..

It's not really a valid question. It's like asking whether Intel or
AMD processors are better at Windows or Linux.

I am sorry my question was not va;id, sir. Please forgive me.

Patrick Pierson wrote:
> I am sorry my question was not va;id, sir. Please forgive me.

Well, Folk is right. It isn't really a valid question. At least not if you
are trying to determine what brand of video card to buy without considering
other factors.

DirectX is just a spec with features. (i.e. DirectX7 had less features than
DirectX8 which had less features than DirectX9). It is basically just a
programming platform. Each video card you look at compared to the game you
want to play creates valid questions. If your games are programmed for
DirectX7, then you only need a card that supports DirectX7. If you are
playing new games that have DirectX9 features, then you need a card that
supports those features.

So, if you want to know which card supporting the features you want to use
performs better than some other card supporting the features you want to use
on the spec of PC you are running, you have to compare them directly to one
another. So, if you can narrow your choices down to a few cards based on
nVidia and a few cards based on ATI, you can then begin to compare them and
come up with a determination what is best for your computer and your needs.

A lot will depend on your PC specs. If you are running a 1 Ghz PIII with
512 and Windows 98, your answer will be vastly different than if you are
running an AMD 64 4800 with a gig of DDR and Windows XP. - Also, your
answer will depend much on what games you are playing. If you are playing
3D games from 1999, your needs are different than if you are playing 3D
games released this year.