Which 6800???

Hey everyone,

I've decided to bite the bullet and go PCI-Express with a 6800. I don't know
whether to get the standard, the GT or the Ultra - for me, the only
difference I can understand is the price! I think that I will go for 256mb
however.

Please advise on which version to get (and I already know not the LE!!!)

Thanks

James

Get the ULTRA if you want the fastest.

6800 Ultra
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009PD1W0/acmenews/102-3484083-5557706?creative=327641&camp=14573&link_code=as1

The 6800 is about on par with the 6600GT, but costs a few $ more than
the 6600GT:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002MW018/acmenews/102-3484083-5557706?creative=327641&camp=14573&link_code=as1

The 6800 GT is faster than the 6800 and 6600GT, but not as fast as the
6800 Ultra.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002MW00Y/acmenews/102-3484083-5557706?creative=327641&camp=14573&link_code=as1

And the OC models are quicker than non OC. So 6600 GT OC is quicker
than 6600 GT for example. They've basically overclocked the card for
you.

The 6800 can be software modded to be a 6800GT. Doesn't always work but I've
never heard of any damage being done by trying.

<edavid3001@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Get the ULTRA if you want the fastest.
>
> 6800 Ultra

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009PD1W0/acmenews/102-3484083-5557706?creative=327641&camp=14573&link_code=as1

> The 6800 is about on par with the 6600GT, but costs a few $ more than
> the 6600GT:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002MW018/acmenews/102-3484083-5557706?creative=327641&camp=14573&link_code=as1

> The 6800 GT is faster than the 6800 and 6600GT, but not as fast as the
> 6800 Ultra.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002MW00Y/acmenews/102-3484083-5557706?creative=327641&camp=14573&link_code=as1

> And the OC models are quicker than non OC. So 6600 GT OC is quicker
> than 6600 GT for example. They've basically overclocked the card for
> you.

Yeah but why when the 7800 is selling for the same price ...

> I've decided to bite the bullet and go PCI-Express with a 6800. I don't
know
> whether to get the standard, the GT or the Ultra - for me, the only
> difference I can understand is the price! I think that I will go for 256mb
> however.

I would recommend either a GT OC or Ultra
--
Scotter

"James Sherlock" <msherlock@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hey everyone,
>
> I've decided to bite the bullet and go PCI-Express with a 6800. I don't
> know whether to get the standard, the GT or the Ultra - for me, the only
> difference I can understand is the price! I think that I will go for 256mb
> however.
>
> Please advise on which version to get (and I already know not the LE!!!)
>
> Thanks
>
> James

Hi everyone,

After searching around, I came across a "NX6800". What does the NX mean? It
seems to be much cheaper.

James

"James Sherlock" <msherlock@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hey everyone,
>
> I've decided to bite the bullet and go PCI-Express with a 6800. I don't
> know whether to get the standard, the GT or the Ultra - for me, the only
> difference I can understand is the price! I think that I will go for 256mb
> however.
>
> Please advise on which version to get (and I already know not the LE!!!)
>
> Thanks
>
> James

"James Sherlock" <msherlock@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hey everyone,
>
> I've decided to bite the bullet and go PCI-Express with a 6800. I don't
> know whether to get the standard, the GT or the Ultra - for me, the only
> difference I can understand is the price! I think that I will go for 256mb
> however.
>
> Please advise on which version to get (and I already know not the LE!!!)
>
> Thanks
>
> James

1) There is a marked difference between the three versions based on
performance. The following lists a 'typical' benchmarking scene for Doom3.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050524/vga_charts-07.html

The three cards you're looking for here are some of the bright green bars,
the '6800 Ultra - 112.6', the '6800GT - 104.9' and the '6800 - 58.7'. As you
can see, there is a *huge* leap of performance from the 6800 to the 6800GT,
and the price difference between these two versions isn't usually that high.
But the Ultra has only a slight increase in performance. Play around with
this site, check out the other games they've benchmarked the cards to, and
shove the card model numbers into a whole bunch of Google searches. The only
way to find out what will be best for you is to do some research. You'll
understand what's going on soon enough.

2) As Bowgus says, wait a short while and invest in a 7800 or 7800GT. They
are due for release on the 11th August, you should be able to have a good
choice of vendors by the end of August. They should provide much improved
performance over the 6800 range, and they'll be about the same price that
the 6800 range is at the moment. Or, still buy a 6800 but for a much cheaper
price.

http://www.digitimes.com/mobos/a20050808PR206.html

Wait, research, save!
Hope that helps and I'm off to yell at my cat...again.

> Hi everyone,
>
> After searching around, I came across a "NX6800". What does the NX mean?
> It seems to be much cheaper.
>
> James

The NX means nothing, it is MSI's little prefix to the card. Just like
Leadtek refer to (some of?) their 6800s as 'Winfast' and add 'PX' to the
start, or 'T2D' to indicate the PCI-E version of their 6800GT and 6800Ultra,
or BFG add 'OC' to the end of their card names.

MSI cards are often cheaper, too. Price can vary depending on the
manufacturer. Gigabyte and BFG are often more expensive than MSI or XFX. And
each manufacturer wil generally try to bring something 'else' to the card
design. For instance, BFG overclock their cards before purchase, with
special cooling. MSI tend to have quieter fans. And so on.

Remember, research, research, research. Just pop phrases you aren't sure of
into Google for quick, immediate answers.

> "James Sherlock" <msherlock@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hey everyone,
>>
>> I've decided to bite the bullet and go PCI-Express with a 6800. I don't
>> know whether to get the standard, the GT or the Ultra - for me, the only
>> difference I can understand is the price! I think that I will go for
>> 256mb however.
>>
>> Please advise on which version to get (and I already know not the LE!!!)
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> James

Hey all,

I have narrowed it down to two cards:
1) Leadtek WinFast GeForce 6800 GT 256MB PCI-E
2) XFX GeForce 6800 GT 256MB PCI-E

The strange thing is - they're both the same price (£211). I don't know
which one to get. Someone said that difference brands have different
features (e.g quieter fans etc). What are the Leadtek and XFX features and
which one should I go for?

Thanks a lot,

James