digital output not working

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b C Monitor
August 8, 2005 6:37:18 PM

Just installed WinXP Pro on a Gateway which has a Nvidia AGP card. XP
installed the driver and Windows updates installed a newer version driver.
When I unplug the analog monitor and plug in the digital LCD there is no
video. Went back to the analog monitor and clicked on the Nvidia icon on
the tray, selected digital, resarted the PC with the digital LCD and still
no video. Why is this and what will the solution be.

TIA
Tim

More about : digital output working

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 8, 2005 7:37:48 PM

p51mustang wrote:
> Just installed WinXP Pro on a Gateway which has a Nvidia AGP card. XP
> installed the driver and Windows updates installed a newer version
> driver. When I unplug the analog monitor and plug in the digital LCD
> there is no video. Went back to the analog monitor and clicked on
> the Nvidia icon on the tray, selected digital, resarted the PC with
> the digital LCD and still no video. Why is this and what will the
> solution be.

The BIOS may be defaulted to PCI graphics (long explaination, but check it
out) when it should be set to AGP. That's what I would try first.

Other possibilities include a bad DVI cable - A bad DVI output on the card -
A bad DVI input on the monitor - A bent pin on the cable - Dirt collected in
the DVI output on the card - mainboard BIOS not supporting digital in DOS or
during boot screens - You have a monitor that won't warm up properly when
using DVI and the picture may appear after a few minutes or even up to an
hour of leaving it running - and a host of other things that may be listed
in the troubleshooting section of your monitors users manual.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 9, 2005 12:17:28 PM

The DVI was working before installing XP, had W98 SE, I was thinking along a
driver issue.

Tim

"twobirds" <notareal@eaddy.com> wrote in message
> p51mustang wrote:
> > Just installed WinXP Pro on a Gateway which has a Nvidia AGP card. XP
> > installed the driver and Windows updates installed a newer version
> > driver. When I unplug the analog monitor and plug in the digital LCD
> > there is no video. Went back to the analog monitor and clicked on
> > the Nvidia icon on the tray, selected digital, resarted the PC with
> > the digital LCD and still no video. Why is this and what will the
> > solution be.
>
> The BIOS may be defaulted to PCI graphics (long explaination, but check it
> out) when it should be set to AGP. That's what I would try first.
>
> Other possibilities include a bad DVI cable - A bad DVI output on the
card -
> A bad DVI input on the monitor - A bent pin on the cable - Dirt collected
in
> the DVI output on the card - mainboard BIOS not supporting digital in DOS
or
> during boot screens - You have a monitor that won't warm up properly when
> using DVI and the picture may appear after a few minutes or even up to an
> hour of leaving it running - and a host of other things that may be
listed
> in the troubleshooting section of your monitors users manual.

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 10, 2005 3:26:49 AM

p51mustang wrote:
> The DVI was working before installing XP, had W98 SE, I was thinking
> along a driver issue.

Is plug-n-play os enabled in your bios? Do you only have no video once you
get to windows or is there no video during the post screens? Did you load
the proper motherboard drivers (including possibly gart) when you installed
XP?

Depending on your chipset, you may very well need the proper gart driver...
If you only have no digital in windows, it is rather likely that's it.
!