HP TouchPad's History: Lessons Learned, Bidding Adieu

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
There are mixed emotions associated with the death of the TouchPad. Most of them are best summed up in the picture above. It's a sad day for consumers when another competitor bites the dust.

She doesn't look sad.

[strike]Customers[/strike] Tech illiterate sheeple want the complete package. Right at launch, Apple had strong third-party app support, a media store, and backward-compatibility with phone apps.

Let's call things their proper names, shall we? ;) The only "complete package" devices to date I've seen were Nokia Symbian phones. You didn't need ANY "apps" to fully utilise the hardware of the phone, it was all preinstalled and worked out of the box. THAT is a complete package; not a phone that burns a hole in your pocket and offers access to thousands of apps.

Please, make Tom's articles sound like they're actually addressed towards a literate audience and not awed Apple fanboys who're shouting about their "complete packages" on every corner - I've heard that phrase (complete package/bundle/etc.) from every Apple fanboy and it has no meaning whatsoever.

bwohl

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
How could this article not mention the Kindle Fire? Low price point? Check. Appstore? Check. Surfing (via Silk)? Check. Android? Check.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]zorky9[/nom]that you Jane?[/citation]

Yep!

[citation][nom]vaughn2k[/nom]Touchpad fire sale is only available in the US. not in our country... If it had, I'd buy 20 of these.[/citation]

It was across the U.S., Canada, and a lot of Europe. Not sure about other countries, but it was definitely not just the U.S.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]I love reading posts from amk-nerd-phantom; her posts remind me of how ignorant and clueless most IT nerds are.[/citation]

Glad you're entertained; now please elaborate on my ignorance and cluelessness :lol: And define "nerd". Most likely I don't fit under the definition at all.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Glad you're entertained; now please elaborate on my ignorance and cluelessness And define "nerd". Most likely I don't fit under the definition at all.[/citation]

In short - trolling anything and everything that says Apple or consoles and pretending the minority of the market (hardcore / enthusiast) is the majority. Nerd is referring to polarized standpoint and bias to said sector, and basically saying that everyone else is dumb.

I don't necessarily disagree with you all of the time, it's just that I know if I read one of your comments, it is going to be 100% troll, so it is difficult to take seriously.

furylicious

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Let's call things their proper names, shall we? ;) The only "complete package" devices to date I've seen were Nokia Symbian phones. You didn't need ANY "apps" to fully utilise the hardware of the phone, it was all preinstalled and worked out of the box. THAT is a complete package; not a phone that burns a hole in your pocket and offers access to thousands of apps.

Please, make Tom's articles sound like they're actually addressed towards a literate audience and not awed Apple fanboys who're shouting about their "complete packages" on every corner - I've heard that phrase (complete package/bundle/etc.) from every Apple fanboy and it has no meaning whatsoever.

Please actually try to make an intelligent post before embarrassing yourself. I am hardly an apple fan, and what you said is just simply, downright incorrect.

The fact is, Apple dominates the tablet market, enough so that most people that buy one don't feel like a hole is being burned in their pocket. The sales stats should provide adequate evidence for my assessment.

Context doesn't seem to be your friend, I think what Jane was saying by "complete package" is a subjective, yet appropriate terminology to imply that Apple tablets have plenty of support out of the box including thousands upon thousands of apps, while Google is struggling to find developers. So, instead of trying to sound "technically correct", try to at least sound like you know what you are talking about, because most of the market disagrees with your less than obvious conjectures.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]In short - trolling anything and everything that says Apple or consoles and pretending the minority of the market (hardcore / enthusiast) is the majority. Nerd is referring to polarized standpoint and bias to said sector, and basically saying that everyone else is dumb.I don't necessarily disagree with you all of the time, it's just that I know if I read one of your comments, it is going to be 100% troll, so it is difficult to take seriously.[/citation]

Well, just so you know, I'm not trolling. I really DO think that PC gaming is superior to console gaming in every way and I really DO hate Apple (and any other company that offers an inferior product for a greater price and advertises software that can be installed on a device as a FEATURE - think Siri; and don't forget the patent trolling). If you think that's trolling, you're sadly mistaken. Besides, more than half of this website agrees with me.

It's not even the consoles or Apple as such that piss me off; in fact, consoles are a perfect tool for cheap gaming in countries whose residents can't afford to spend a lot ($300 console, pirate all the games = ultra cheap gaming) and I applaud Apple for taking advantage of people's illiteracy, these iZombies deserve that.

No, what pisses me off is that we are forced to hear this BS here at Tom's... not the correct website for it, since most people here are PC enthusiasts. I support kicking out all non-PC/software news to Tom's Guide and adding an option to disable them in the news feed.

I never pretend that enthusiasts are the majority of the market. I only say that enthusiasts make the best choices. And it's not hard to find the best hardware for the price, and you learn a lot in the process. If you want to buy something, make sure you know what you're paying for. Don't have to read benchmarks and reviews for months in order to understand that MacBook Pro or Sony Vaio aren't the best value for money. I can understand that not everyone might want to know about the latest and greatest PC hardware. However, there's ALWAYS someone you can ask to help you find a good new PC/laptop instead of buying the most hyped one like most people do; and I won't even mention phones/tablets; comparing them is very easy. Just check which one has the most connectivity interfaces, then go into the shop and try it out. From my experience, taking some time to choose always pays off in the end.

So take me seriously - whatever I say, I mean it.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]Furylicious[/nom]Please actually try to make an intelligent post before embarrassing yourself. I am hardly an apple fan, and what you said is just simply, downright incorrect.The fact is, Apple dominates the tablet market, enough so that most people that buy one don't feel like a hole is being burned in their pocket. The sales stats should provide adequate evidence for my assessment.Context doesn't seem to be your friend, I think what Jane was saying by "complete package" is a subjective, yet appropriate terminology to imply that Apple tablets have plenty of support out of the box including thousands upon thousands of apps, while Google is struggling to find developers. So, instead of trying to sound "technically correct", try to at least sound like you know what you are talking about, because most of the market disagrees with your less than obvious conjectures.[/citation]

Reading fail for you. "Let's call the things their proper names" referred to the part of the article's quote which I corrected. As for "complete package", I understand what Jane meant, of course; but if you read my above post carefully, I've explained why I dismiss that particular definition of a "complete package". It's the same for MacBook owners who think they've got a great deal because of "complete package" - a laptop that came with the software installed, ZOMG! - but what they don't realise is that they were severely ripped off since that "software" isn't worth a single cent, because you can get it all for free. Open source, anyone? :)

Also, Android has thousands upon thousands of apps, as well. And the great thing about Symbian era was that the smartphones were evaluated by their hardware and not by the amount of website-emulating apps that you can download instead of visiting the website in your browser.

furylicious

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Reading fail for you. "Let's call the things their proper names" referred to the part of the article's quote which I corrected. As for "complete package", I understand what Jane meant, of course; but if you read my above post carefully, I've explained why I dismiss that particular definition of a "complete package". It's the same for MacBook owners who think they've got a great deal because of "complete package" - a laptop that came with the software installed, ZOMG! - but what they don't realise is that they were severely ripped off since that "software" isn't worth a single cent, because you can get it all for free. Open source, anyone? Also, Android has thousands upon thousands of apps, as well. And the great thing about Symbian era was that the smartphones were evaluated by their hardware and not by the amount of website-emulating apps that you can download instead of visiting the website in your browser.[/citation]

Don't you worry, I did read your post. If the term "complete package" makes you that upset, it makes me wonder what you think about any OS out there that doesn't have every bit of software available out of the box. It's simply not cost effective, so sorry if you haven't realized that yet. Hell, with the phone and tablet market, it comes with standard apps regardless, and a market where you can utilize your phone in a way that is efficient for your lifestyle, so that the hardware doesn't get cluttered with useless garbage that an average person might not need.

Also, have you tried other alternative "open source" photoshop software? To me, they aren't as great, which is why people pay the extra bucks to get a software out of box that makes sense to THEM. Maybe you, being a tech savvy person, don't mind going through hours of learning curves using different types of available software, but the average thinking world doesn't care to go about, download software from sites that are unfamiliar to them, then skimming through online forums and websites to learn how to use it. Most people are simply familiar with photoshop and quite honestly, it's a good quality product, and because it is, people are fine spending those extra bucks.

Also, since we are on the lines of talking about Apple computers, which I never cared to purchase one myself (just to let you know, once again, I hardly care for Apple), maybe you should look up some stats out there that show that Apple computers have good customer service and good hardware, which might explain why they are more expensive than your average computer? And of course the software, which I've explained. If Apple is such a terrible, money stealing company, then why do people seem to be happy with their products? Have you ever seen an unhappy Apple customer? I haven't. So obviously the company is doing something right, whether you disagree with their tactics or not. They are profitable company, sitting comfortably in the market. So..?

I love Android, but if you had a bit of sense about you, you would know that developers go to Apple and not Android, because they go for where the money. So again, quality comes into the picture. So, you have yet again, failed to establish a good point regarding your Apple hating posts.

Hell, I hate Apple, but even I can admit that they are doing many things right where many others are not.

furylicious

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Reading fail for you. "Let's call the things their proper names" referred to the part of the article's quote which I corrected. As for "complete package", I understand what Jane meant, of course; but if you read my above post carefully, I've explained why I dismiss that particular definition of a "complete package". It's the same for MacBook owners who think they've got a great deal because of "complete package" - a laptop that came with the software installed, ZOMG! - but what they don't realise is that they were severely ripped off since that "software" isn't worth a single cent, because you can get it all for free. Open source, anyone? Also, Android has thousands upon thousands of apps, as well. And the great thing about Symbian era was that the smartphones were evaluated by their hardware and not by the amount of website-emulating apps that you can download instead of visiting the website in your browser.[/citation]

Don't you worry, I did read your post. If the term "complete package" makes you that upset, it makes me wonder what you think about any OS out there that doesn't have every bit of software available out of the box. It's simply not cost effective, so sorry if you haven't realized that yet. Hell, with the phone and tablet market, it comes with standard apps regardless, and a market where you can utilize your phone in a way that is efficient for your lifestyle, so that the hardware doesn't get cluttered with useless garbage that an average person might not need.

Also, have you tried other alternative "open source" photoshop software? To me, they aren't as great, which is why people pay the extra bucks to get a software out of box that makes sense to THEM. Maybe you, being a tech savvy person, don't mind going through hours of learning curves using different types of available software, but the average thinking world doesn't care to go about, download software from sites that are unfamiliar to them, then skimming through online forums and websites to learn how to use it. Most people are simply familiar with photoshop and quite honestly, it's a good quality product, and because it is, people are fine spending those extra bucks.

Also, since we are on the lines of talking about Apple computers, which I never cared to purchase one myself (just to let you know, once again, I hardly care for Apple), maybe you should look up some stats out there that show that Apple computers have good customer service and good hardware, which might explain why they are more expensive than your average computer? And of course the software, which I've explained. If Apple is such a terrible, money stealing company, then why do people seem to be happy with their products? Have you ever seen an unhappy Apple customer? I haven't. So obviously the company is doing something right, whether you disagree with their tactics or not. They are profitable company, sitting comfortably in the market. So..?

I love Android, but if you had a bit of sense about you, you would know that developers go to Apple and not Android, because they go for where the money. So again, quality comes into the picture. So, you have yet again, failed to establish a good point regarding your Apple hating posts.

Hell, I hate Apple, but even I can admit that they are doing many things right where many others are not.

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
@Furylicious @amk-aka-phantom Let's call a spade a spade. Companies are not trying to just make a tablet for a tablet sake. They are purposely gunning for an iPad killer and want a large percentage of the market share. Asus' CEO commented on such for the Transformer. And they are right to do so. A company's future in tablets is going to depend on selling more than a few thousand units.

@getreal Completely agree. Let's not pretend that tech news is limited to Bulldozer, Extreme Edition, etc... When we evaluate a product, we look at everything from top to bottom. That's why we review budget graphics cards and budget processors. Our Sandy review included the i3. That comprehensive approach should extend to everything. It's the right way to approach a product. Those looking for a more narrow view of the world don't need benchmarks to tell them what product to buy.

Andrew Ku
TomsHardware.com

furylicious

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]acku[/nom]@Furylicious @amk-aka-phantom Let's call a spade a spade. Companies are not trying to just make a tablet for a tablet sake. They are purposely gunning for an iPad killer and want a large percentage of the market share. Asus' CEO commented on such for the Transformer. And they are right to do so. A company's future in tablets is going to depend on selling more than a few thousand units.[/citation]

I agree to some extent. As far as the market goes, you are completely correct. iPad is where its at, and there is no denying that. But, I think the approach of creating an "iPad killer" is not effective, not in the sense of creating copy cats.

I can bring another example, Call of Duty. Call of Duty is the spade when it comes to FPS games, but the one thing that I hate more than CoD is when a competitor makes a game to "kill it" and it's exactly the same.

Of course, looking at the transformer, and being able to play with it a bit, it does not feel like an iPad at all. I actually like it, and with the capability of converting (or transforming) to a laptop/netbook like computer, I think it brings a very different approach, one that I hope Asus continues to improve since it isn't completely perfect.

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
[citation][nom]Furylicious[/nom]I agree to some extent. As far as the market goes, you are completely correct. iPad is where its at, and there is no denying that. But, I think the approach of creating an "iPad killer" is not effective, not in the sense of creating copy cats.I can bring another example, Call of Duty. Call of Duty is the spade when it comes to FPS games, but the one thing that I hate more than CoD is when a competitor makes a game to "kill it" and it's exactly the same.Of course, looking at the transformer, and being able to play with it a bit, it does not feel like an iPad at all. I actually like it, and with the capability of converting (or transforming) to a laptop/netbook like computer, I think it brings a very different approach, one that I hope Asus continues to improve since it isn't completely perfect.[/citation]

Point taken. I think is good to have some discord. It's gonna to be unnatural for two people to agree on everything. But I definitely part ways with the sentiment that makes either of us immediately wrong.

I especially dislike the idea of discounting consumers unwilling to spend 2000 for a system just to play games. There are plenty of wow gamers that care about performance. We cover everything when there's an ability to dig deep into tech.

@Furylicious ---> The following isn't directed at you. It's for others. :)

If you don't care about benchmarks on tablets or a technical discussion on SoCs, then certainly head over to tomsguide. But here at tomshardware, we apply that approach to everything.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I love my TouchPad, for email, web, movies, games and the apps I care about it is perfect. It's smooth, fast and I have no complaints at all. I'll b e using my touchpad for 5-10 years unless it breaks somehow. Even if the OS never gets another update and I stick with my current 60 apps I'm happy as a clam, email will be the same in 10yrs and so will basic web sites....the games on there will still be fun, my utilities will still work fine! Thank you HP!

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]Yep!It was across the U.S., Canada, and a lot of Europe. Not sure about other countries, but it was definitely not just the U.S.[/citation]

Interesting place to be holding something called "TouchPad" over.

Pretty eyes, by the way.

sahalu

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
I understand what Jane means by "complete package" and for her context it is a perfectly accurate characterization of the iPad/Apple devices. But there’s also more than one definition of complete package. Like the writer above this post said, for many people, including me, the Touchpad is a complete package. It has all the functions, features and apps I want. My guess is for most IT type, the Touchpad is a complete package. Email, Exchange Server, VPN client, Scheduling, web surfing, USB functionality, document portability and others is pretty much the necessities.

sahalu

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
I understand what Jane means by "complete package" and for her context it is a perfectly accurate characterization of the iPad/Apple devices. But there’s also more than one definition of complete package. Like the writer above this post said, for many people, including me, the Touchpad is a complete package. It has all the functions, features and apps I want. My guess is for most IT type, the Touchpad is a complete package. Email, Exchange Server, VPN client, Scheduling, web surfing, USB functionality, document portability and others is pretty much the necessities.

sahalu

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.