A8N SLI Deluxe w/ two Geforce 6800GT crashes

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

As mentioned in an earlier post - during games I get the occasional
reboot (happens every few days plus more frequent lockups) and the
monitor goes into standby and does return until i force another reset.

Set up a VNC server on the PC and following the more recent reboot - i
connected to it and logged in via my other PC.

Got a message from nVidia software/drivers saying that one of my
graphics cards had been removed and therefore SLI was unavailable. I
then went into Device Manager and according to that I only had one of my
6800GT cards connected.

Anyone experience anything similar and/or suggest fixes. The last time I
returned my PC to Mesh Computers all they did was alter some BIOS
settings and replace an SATA cable!

System: A8N SLI Delux, XP4000+, 2 x Inno3d Geforce 6800GT, 2 x 200MB
SATA HD, DVD-ROM, DVD-RW Dual Layer, Audigy 2ZS, HEC 550W PSU (1 x 12V @
18A and 1 x 12V @ 17A)

Mal
8 answers Last reply
More about deluxe geforce 6800gt crashes
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    In article <MPG.1d63c9b21762b0cc9896c8@news.individual.net>, Mal Franks
    <spampit@btinternet.com> wrote:

    > As mentioned in an earlier post - during games I get the occasional
    > reboot (happens every few days plus more frequent lockups) and the
    > monitor goes into standby and does return until i force another reset.
    >
    > Set up a VNC server on the PC and following the more recent reboot - i
    > connected to it and logged in via my other PC.
    >
    > Got a message from nVidia software/drivers saying that one of my
    > graphics cards had been removed and therefore SLI was unavailable. I
    > then went into Device Manager and according to that I only had one of my
    > 6800GT cards connected.
    >
    > Anyone experience anything similar and/or suggest fixes. The last time I
    > returned my PC to Mesh Computers all they did was alter some BIOS
    > settings and replace an SATA cable!
    >
    > System: A8N SLI Delux, XP4000+, 2 x Inno3d Geforce 6800GT, 2 x 200MB
    > SATA HD, DVD-ROM, DVD-RW Dual Layer, Audigy 2ZS, HEC 550W PSU (1 x 12V @
    > 18A and 1 x 12V @ 17A)
    >
    > Mal

    I would have a difficult time proving it to you, but it is your
    power supply. I read some early accounts from users of A8N SLI,
    and one user had infrequent problems like you. He changed out
    the power supply (even though according to the label, it had
    a high enough current rating) and his problems stopped. Now,
    proving to Mesh that they should use a Nvidia certified power
    supply, will be your problem. I'm sure they'll fight you
    "tooth and nail".

    http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=377170&page=2&pp=15
    (Note that, even though a power supply can read stable with a meter,
    it can have poor transient response to a heavy load, which can be
    enough to cause the occasional reboot. Why else would power
    supplies with acceptable current ratings, be causing systems
    to fall over ?)
    http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=377834
    http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=380940 (Asus Probe causes reboot?)
    http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/38623/ (FAQ)

    At the bottom of this page, is a list of "certified" power supplies.
    You have a high end SLI configuration, and for such a system, you
    cannot cut corners.

    http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build.html

    Note that, of the listed supplies, there are at least three different
    kinds of supplies. Some supplies have one 12V output,
    some have two 12V outputs labelled 12V1/12V2, and the remainder have
    three or four 12V outputs (12V1/12V2/12V3/12V4). The fact that the
    A8N-SLI uses EZ-Plug, means if you use a supply with three or four
    12V outputs, you will end up shorting two of the 12V outputs together
    when EZ-Plug is plugged in. But, for stability, you need the EZ-Plug,
    so in a high power SLI config, it has to stay there. Thus, I would
    avoid any supply with more than two 12V outputs. That means I would
    avoid the Silverstone ST65ZF or the Turbocool 850 SSI, for use with
    A8N-SLI (or any board sporting an EZ-Plug). There is nothing wrong
    with using those supplies for some other motherboard maker's SLI
    motherboard (because they won't use the EZ-Plug method).

    (Silverstone is quad output)
    http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-65zf.htm

    (Turbocool 850 is quad output)
    http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=T85SSI&view=techspecs

    The Turbocool 510 SLI looks good, due to its single
    +12V output rail. Electrically, it is a perfect candidate for the job,
    but the fan is a bit on the noisy side. (That is because it can operate
    in a 50C ambient environment, more than the other supplies.) I think
    the Enermax EG701AX should also be OK, as it is a 12V1/12V2 type supply.

    http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=T51SLI&view=techspecs

    Post back how it turns out, so others will benefit. It could be
    power, or it could be something crazy, like the thread above suggesting
    Asus Probe was causing problems. There is nothing really wrong with the
    HEC power supply - HEC does make decent supplies - but a high end SLI
    is a pretty nasty load. Or at least the symptoms make it look that way.
    Working long distance with Mesh doesn't sound like much fun...

    Paul
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Thorin sat down and started singing about gold. Gandalf entered. Gandalf
    said "hurry up". After being threatened with a cloven skull, from one
    well placed blow, spampit@btinternet.com said...
    > As mentioned in an earlier post - during games I get the occasional
    > reboot (happens every few days plus more frequent lockups) and the
    > monitor goes into standby and does return until i force another reset.

    erm that should be "does not return" - oops
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    I have to agree with Paul it is probably your power supply.

> [...]
    >
    > The Turbocool 510 SLI looks good, due to its single
    > +12V output rail. Electrically, it is a perfect candidate for the job,
    > but the fan is a bit on the noisy side. (That is because it can operate
    > in a 50C ambient environment, more than the other supplies.) I think
    > the Enermax EG701AX should also be OK, as it is a 12V1/12V2 type supply.
    >
    > http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=T51SLI&view=techspecs
    >
    > Post back how it turns out, so others will benefit. It could be
    > power, or it could be something crazy, like the thread above suggesting
    > Asus Probe was causing problems. There is nothing really wrong with the
    > HEC power supply - HEC does make decent supplies - but a high end SLI
    > is a pretty nasty load. Or at least the symptoms make it look that way.
    > Working long distance with Mesh doesn't sound like much fun...

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    well placed blow, woody10277@hotmail.com said...
> [...]
    > >
    > > The Turbocool 510 SLI looks good, due to its single
    > > +12V output rail. Electrically, it is a perfect candidate for the job,
    > > but the fan is a bit on the noisy side. (That is because it can operate
    > > in a 50C ambient environment, more than the other supplies.) I think
    > > the Enermax EG701AX should also be OK, as it is a 12V1/12V2 type supply.
    > >
    > > http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=T51SLI&view=techspecs
    > >
    > > Post back how it turns out, so others will benefit. It could be
    > > power, or it could be something crazy, like the thread above suggesting
    > > Asus Probe was causing problems. There is nothing really wrong with the
    > > HEC power supply - HEC does make decent supplies - but a high end SLI
    > > is a pretty nasty load. Or at least the symptoms make it look that way.
    > > Working long distance with Mesh doesn't sound like much fun...

    Thanks chaps. To his credit Davey the Technical Service Administrator
    said that he thought that power was the problem - unfortunately when the
    actual servicing chaps got their hands on it they failed to fix this.

    Just received an email from Davey saying:

    "I received your emails. Copies of them and a copy of your PC Advisor
    thread were passed to an administrator in the Service Centre this
    morning personally with a few choice words. I have left the details
    with her and intend to head back down there later to discuss the matter
    further."

    So hopefully I'll get better results this time :)

    Mal
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Mal Franks <spampit@btinternet.com> wrote in

    > As mentioned in an earlier post - during games I get the occasional
    > reboot (happens every few days plus more frequent lockups) and the
    > monitor goes into standby and does return until i force another reset.
    >
    > Set up a VNC server on the PC and following the more recent reboot - i
    > connected to it and logged in via my other PC.
    >
    > Got a message from nVidia software/drivers saying that one of my
    > graphics cards had been removed and therefore SLI was unavailable. I
    > then went into Device Manager and according to that I only had one of
    my
    > 6800GT cards connected.
    >
    > Anyone experience anything similar and/or suggest fixes. The last time
    > returned my PC to Mesh Computers all they did was alter some BIOS
    > settings and replace an SATA cable!
    >
    > System: A8N SLI Delux, XP4000+, 2 x Inno3d Geforce 6800GT, 2 x 200MB
    > SATA HD, DVD-ROM, DVD-RW Dual Layer, Audigy 2ZS, HEC 550W PSU (1 x 12V
    @
    > 18A and 1 x 12V @ 17A)
    >
    > Mal

    I have had EXACTLY this same problem since I first built my SLI rig back
    in December 2004.

    Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
    FX-55
    2 x eVGA 6800GT
    5 hard drives
    DVD+RW/DL
    CD-ROM
    Audigy 2ZS
    Adaptec PCI SCSI card
    Enermax EG701AX v2.0

    You will note that my power supply IS listed on the Nvidia SLI-certified
    list.

    I have noticed that while it often locks up like this in games, it will
    also happen during normal use of WinXP (e.g. while web browsing).

    What I have found over six months of this is the following:

    - This can happen while running games. Some games are more likely to
    cause this crash. FS2004 is one that I have found that will often do
    this in full-screen mode, if I have the system in SLI mode.

    - If I am not running games, the crash will still occur, usually before
    24 hours is up, but definately by 48 hours. Even if the system is
    sitting idle.

    - Running a game in SLI mode definately accelerates the time it takes
    for the crash to occur. However, if, say, my system has been up an
    running for 24 hours, a game is more likely to crash as you describe
    than if it has been freshly rebooted.

    - The time-dependency is not a temperature issue - i.e. the system comes
    to stable temperature pretty quick (and I have many fans providing
    adequate cooling). Of course, when playing a game, the video card fans
    speed up!

    - The system is very stable WHEN NOT IN SLI MODE. I.e. the crashes that
    you describe above do NOT occur for me when in "standard" video mode.
    It's only after activating SLI mode that the crashes that you describe
    occur.

    I've had a very frustrating experience with this since I built the
    system. The fact that the system is only stable for long periods when
    SLI is deactivated means that I usually run in single card mode, and
    have to reboot into SLI mode to play a quick game. I hate doing this
    because it can interupt background work that is going on - it's clearly
    not convenient.

    My assumption is that there is some kind of a "memory leak" in the
    driver, which would explain why time seems to be important, even if not
    actually running a SLI game. Having said that, I do not see the RAM
    consumption increasing...

    My approach for the last six months has been to hope that new ASUS BIOS
    updates and new NVIDIA driver updates would fix this. But, that was 4
    or 5 BIOS and video driver versions ago. I'm running the latest release
    of both, and still have this problem.

    Note that back in February I went through the long process of trying to
    figure out what piece of hardware was suspect by removing addin cards,
    etc., one by one until the system would last under SLI mode. I got down
    to an essentially bare system, and still no improvement....

    I share your frustration. But, I do not think this is a power supply
    issue...

    The only thing I can think of trying is adjusting the memory timings. I
    am running four sticks of 512MB DDR400 RAM, at 400 speed. I have them
    running at the factory designated timings. These are KingstonValueRAM,
    and these same units are listed on the ASUS CVL (compatibility list),
    which is how I decided to buy this RAM. Note that I also ran long, long
    RAM tests, tried running in DDR333 mode, tried removing two sticks,
    swapped sticks, etc. Still lack of SLI stability. I cannot find
    anything wrong with the memory at all.

    I have considered reducing the timing of my memory (i..e slowing it
    down), as early "Tom's Hardware" reviews suggested this was necessary
    with beta versions of the board. But, I'm not familiar with which
    settings to tweak, and by how much. You wouldn't think I'd have to do
    this, though, with both my testing and with Asus' recommendation...

    I have also tried swapping the place of the two video cards - no help

    Any other ideas?
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    well placed blow, Sh@fdafd.fds said...

    > I have had EXACTLY this same problem since I first built my SLI rig back
    > in December 2004.
    >
    > Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
    > FX-55
    > 2 x eVGA 6800GT
    > 5 hard drives
    > DVD+RW/DL
    > CD-ROM
    > Audigy 2ZS
    > Adaptec PCI SCSI card
    > Enermax EG701AX v2.0

    <snip>

    Just had a phone call from Mesh asking whether I wanted the 2 hard
    drives set up in RAID 0 or not because I'm getting a new PC. Fingers
    crossed the new machine will not suffer from the same problems.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > Thorin sat down and started singing about gold. Gandalf entered.
    > Gandalf said "hurry up". After being threatened with a cloven skull,
    > from one well placed blow, Sh@fdafd.fds said...
    >
    >> I have had EXACTLY this same problem since I first built my SLI rig
    >> back in December 2004.
    >>
    >> Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
    >> FX-55
    >> 2 x eVGA 6800GT
    >> 5 hard drives
    >> DVD+RW/DL
    >> CD-ROM
    >> Audigy 2ZS
    >> Adaptec PCI SCSI card
    >> Enermax EG701AX v2.0
    >>
    > <snip>
    >
    > Just had a phone call from Mesh asking whether I wanted the 2 hard
    > drives set up in RAID 0 or not because I'm getting a new PC. Fingers
    > crossed the new machine will not suffer from the same problems.

    Please let us know if the new machine solves the problem. And, if it does,
    what is different about the new machine (so that I have a prayer of
    figuring out how to fix my system!)...
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    fsda wrote:
    > Mal Franks <spampit@btinternet.com> wrote in

    >>As mentioned in an earlier post - during games I get the occasional
    >>reboot (happens every few days plus more frequent lockups) and the
    >>monitor goes into standby and does return until i force another reset.

    >>System: A8N SLI Delux, XP4000+, 2 x Inno3d Geforce 6800GT, 2 x 200MB
    >>SATA HD, DVD-ROM, DVD-RW Dual Layer, Audigy 2ZS, HEC 550W PSU (1 x 12V

    > I have had EXACTLY this same problem since I first built my SLI rig back
    > in December 2004.
    >
    > Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
    > FX-55
    > 2 x eVGA 6800GT
    > 5 hard drives
    > DVD+RW/DL
    > CD-ROM
    > Audigy 2ZS
    > Adaptec PCI SCSI card
    > Enermax EG701AX v2.0

    Just for the record, I have this setup:
    A8N-SLI Deluxe, bios 1011 final
    FX-55
    2 x Leadtek 6800GT
    3 SATA harddrives
    DVD+RW
    Audigy 2ZS (last PCI slot)
    Enermax EG701AX
    2 Gigs - Corsair Twinx2048 2.5-3-3-8

    You will note most of it is the same as the last rig here mentioned. I
    however do not have the same problem, never had. I've got every power
    lead that I can connect to the mobo and the graphcards connected, and
    haven't overclocked anything. Also, I've installed watercooling to the
    entire system, and it keeps everything very cool.

Nvidia Graphics