Jim

Help. I just purchased a Dell flat panel monitor to use with my 2002 Dell
PC with the nvidia GeForce4 ms 420. It contains only a VGA output. I am
not pleased with the resolution--particularly text. I went through all the
options available in the Display Properties page. I did download the
latest driver which seems to have helped. But,do I need a new video card
with digital output? Dell told me no, but I'm not convinced they knew what
they were talking about. One reference I saw suggested that I need a DVI
connection (the monitor came with one).

Thanks.

Frustrated.

In article <RJ0Le.4327$mb4.4119@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com>, Jim says...
> Help. I just purchased a Dell flat panel monitor to use with my 2002 Dell
> PC with the nvidia GeForce4 ms 420. It contains only a VGA output. I am
> not pleased with the resolution--particularly text. I went through all the
> options available in the Display Properties page. I did download the
> latest driver which seems to have helped. But,do I need a new video card
> with digital output? Dell told me no, but I'm not convinced they knew what
> they were talking about. One reference I saw suggested that I need a DVI
> connection (the monitor came with one).

Flat panel displays only look good at their native resolution.

--
Conor

If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened
rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic
music.

Jim

Conor,

I understand that and the system is set for the proscribed 1280 x 1024
resolution. But, in my ignorance of the mechanics, I am asking if an analog
input to the monitor provides the same quality as a digital input. And, if
not, would I benefit from replacing the video card?

Thanks.

Jim

"Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <RJ0Le.4327$mb4.4119@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com>, Jim says...
>> Help. I just purchased a Dell flat panel monitor to use with my 2002
>> Dell
>> PC with the nvidia GeForce4 ms 420. It contains only a VGA output. I am
>> not pleased with the resolution--particularly text. I went through all
>> the
>> options available in the Display Properties page. I did download the
>> latest driver which seems to have helped. But,do I need a new video card
>> with digital output? Dell told me no, but I'm not convinced they knew
>> what
>> they were talking about. One reference I saw suggested that I need a DVI
>> connection (the monitor came with one).
>>
> Flat panel displays only look good at their native resolution.
>

> --
> Conor
>
> If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened
> rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic
> music.

Andrew

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 14:44:11 GMT, "Jim" <jparker@new.rr.com> wrote:

>I understand that and the system is set for the proscribed 1280 x 1024
>resolution. But, in my ignorance of the mechanics, I am asking if an analog
>input to the monitor provides the same quality as a digital input. And, if
>not, would I benefit from replacing the video card?

Make sure you are also using the correct refresh rate as well. The
difference between digital and analogue inputs is very minor.

Jim

Andrew,

Thanks re the digital issue. After installing the latest nvidia driver, it
automatically set the refresh rate to 75 hz. I presume that is optimum, but
to you recommend another setting?

Thanks again.

Jim

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 16:00:05 GMT, "Jim" <jparker@new.rr.com> wrote:

>Andrew,
>
>Thanks re the digital issue. After installing the latest nvidia driver, it
>automatically set the refresh rate to 75 hz. I presume that is optimum, but
>to you recommend another setting?
>
>Thanks again.

Despite what has been posted here, there is a *BIG* difference between
a DVI and VGA connected flat panel device. But don't take my word for
it:

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2289&p=2

Here's the pertinent info:

"Input Type: DVI, DVI, DVI. We insist that when you buy a new LCD
monitor, you buy a model with DVI capability. Even if you don't want
to buy a DVI-capable video card right now, it is still a wise decision
to get a DVI-compatible LCD."

And if you read many of the LCD reviews at Anandtech, you see the same
theme.... panels that look like ass on the VGA adapter look great on
the DVI adapter.

Most decent mid-range vid cards sold today have a DVI adapter.
Here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?submit=PROPERTY&SubCategory=48&propertycodevalue=679:10551,691:9630&bop=and&Order=price

is a list of 6600's that all have DVI connectors and average around
$100. Get the most from your new monitor by pairing it up with a vid
card with a digital output connector.

Andrew

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 16:00:05 GMT, "Jim" <jparker@new.rr.com> wrote:

>Thanks re the digital issue. After installing the latest nvidia driver, it
>automatically set the refresh rate to 75 hz. I presume that is optimum, but
>to you recommend another setting?

I recommend finding out the native refresh rate for your monitor. Mine
is ugly at anything other than 75.

Jim

Thanks very much. I'll do so.
> On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 16:00:05 GMT, "Jim" <jparker@new.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>Thanks re the digital issue. After installing the latest nvidia driver,
>>it
>>automatically set the refresh rate to 75 hz. I presume that is optimum,
>>but
>>to you recommend another setting?
>
> I recommend finding out the native refresh rate for your monitor. Mine
> is ugly at anything other than 75.

Just get a new video card IMO. It will save you the trouble. Sell your
old one on your local computer parts newsgroup.

Jim;

I've come up with a list for you of two good video cards that you can
choose from:
You have an AGP video slot, and the card you have is comparable to
this,

These links are in Canadian $$

http://www.oemexpress.com/Itemdesc.asp?CartId={DC2F7D10-3741-400A-9DBE-688581D2EFD7}&ic=VIDASU%2DV9520X&Tp=

go to that link, buy one of these, ASUS is a GREAT brand. Have it
installed at computer shop around your local area, plug in DVI and
you'll be experiencing the full potential of your purchase.. Really
good price too.

Asus V9520-X/TD FX5200 128Mb w/Tv out

Thats the card you should get, stupid link doesn't work.

Jim

Folk, thank you VERY much. My instincts caused me to raise the digital
issue.

I have a 3-year old Dell, 2.52 GHz, currently with a nVidia GeForce4 Mx420
card. Can you recommend a specific card, with DVI output, that would be
compatible with my machine?

Thanks,

Jim
"Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 16:00:05 GMT, "Jim" <jparker@new.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>Andrew,
>>
>>Thanks re the digital issue. After installing the latest nvidia driver,
>>it
>>automatically set the refresh rate to 75 hz. I presume that is optimum,
>>but
>>to you recommend another setting?
>>
>>Thanks again.
>
> Despite what has been posted here, there is a *BIG* difference between
> a DVI and VGA connected flat panel device. But don't take my word for
> it:
>
> http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2289&p=2
>
> Here's the pertinent info:
>
> "Input Type: DVI, DVI, DVI. We insist that when you buy a new LCD
> monitor, you buy a model with DVI capability. Even if you don't want
> to buy a DVI-capable video card right now, it is still a wise decision
> to get a DVI-compatible LCD."
>
> And if you read many of the LCD reviews at Anandtech, you see the same
> theme.... panels that look like ass on the VGA adapter look great on
> the DVI adapter.
>
> Most decent mid-range vid cards sold today have a DVI adapter.
> Here:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?submit=PROPERTY&SubCategory=48&propertycodevalue=679:10551,691:9630&bop=and&Order=price
>
> is a list of 6600's that all have DVI connectors and average around
> $100. Get the most from your new monitor by pairing it up with a vid
> card with a digital output connector.

Gotta chime in here -- I think I bought the same Monitor and I know I have
the same video card -- so I'm reading responses with great interest!

My question just now is what driver upgrade you folks would recommend (until
I can get a new video card!). I don't want to do anything to make matters
worse than they are now.

About the refresh rate: My monitor (1704 FPV) has a refresh rate of 60,
according to the Manual that came on the CD with it. That seemed slow to me
but things seem to happen pretty quickly. Let me know if anyone has any
ideas about improving the appearance of text.

BTW ... I have a Hauppauge TV card and watching TV on this monitor is
awesome! Resolution is very crisp and colors vivid!

TIA for your help...

Gail Miller

"Jim" <jparker@new.rr.com> wrote in message
> Folk, thank you VERY much. My instincts caused me to raise the digital
> issue.
>
> I have a 3-year old Dell, 2.52 GHz, currently with a nVidia GeForce4 Mx420
> card. Can you recommend a specific card, with DVI output, that would be
> compatible with my machine?

Jim

Hey I-Fix,

Another person to thank. Link didn't work for me either. Will track down
your recommendation.
"I_FIX_COMPUTERS" <countryshmountry@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> Asus V9520-X/TD FX5200 128Mb w/Tv out
>
> Thats the card you should get, stupid link doesn't work.

Jim

Gail, welcome to the club. Your monitor is apparently 17" versus my 19",
but have same aspect ratio.

I went to the nVidia web site and downloaded their latest driver: 7.7.7.7.
Here's the link.

I found it by selecting "Graphics Drivers", "GeForce and TNT2", and "Windows
XP/2000" in the three menu columns. This driver was apparently offered in
2005. My old one came out in 2003. The new one seemed to improve quality,
but it was not dramatic.

See the notes above regarding whether a digital card is preferred. Looks
like it is.

Good luck.

Jim
"Gail Miller" <gmiller127@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Gotta chime in here -- I think I bought the same Monitor and I know I have
> the same video card -- so I'm reading responses with great interest!
>
> My question just now is what driver upgrade you folks would recommend
> (until I can get a new video card!). I don't want to do anything to make
> matters worse than they are now.
>
> About the refresh rate: My monitor (1704 FPV) has a refresh rate of 60,
> according to the Manual that came on the CD with it. That seemed slow to
> me but things seem to happen pretty quickly. Let me know if anyone has any
> ideas about improving the appearance of text.
>
> BTW ... I have a Hauppauge TV card and watching TV on this monitor is
> awesome! Resolution is very crisp and colors vivid!
>
> TIA for your help...
>
> Gail Miller
>

> "Jim" <jparker@new.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Folk, thank you VERY much. My instincts caused me to raise the digital
>> issue.
>>
>> I have a 3-year old Dell, 2.52 GHz, currently with a nVidia GeForce4
>> Mx420 card. Can you recommend a specific card, with DVI output, that
>> would be compatible with my machine?

I have a FX 5500 with DVI on a 29" LCD TV and it looks far better than VGA.
The 5500 is ok but slow so would say find a 6000+ card with DVI out.

> Help. I just purchased a Dell flat panel monitor to use with my 2002 Dell
> PC with the nvidia GeForce4 ms 420. It contains only a VGA output. I am
> not pleased with the resolution--particularly text. I went through all
> the options available in the Display Properties page. I did download the
> latest driver which seems to have helped. But,do I need a new video card
> with digital output? Dell told me no, but I'm not convinced they knew
> what they were talking about. One reference I saw suggested that I need a
> DVI connection (the monitor came with one).
>
> Thanks.
>
> Frustrated.

Jim

Hey again,

I managed to track this down at the ASUS site, but led to a number of new
questions. Since you're being so helpful, I'll ask:

1. Can't find a price. What ball park are we talking? $100, $125, etc?
2. I have no desire to watch TV on my PC (have a nice HDTV about 10 feet
away) and do essentially no gaming although I may in the future. Is there a
lower cost unit that would be just as good for me?
3. You suggest getting a techie to install the new card. I've installed
cards in the past so is there any reason I can't install this one?

TIA

Jim

"I_FIX_COMPUTERS" <countryshmountry@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> Asus V9520-X/TD FX5200 128Mb w/Tv out
>
> Thats the card you should get, stupid link doesn't work.

Refrsh rate is different for LCD's. They don't flicker like CRT's. 60hz
should be fine.

"Gail Miller" <gmiller127@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Gotta chime in here -- I think I bought the same Monitor and I know I have
> the same video card -- so I'm reading responses with great interest!
>
> My question just now is what driver upgrade you folks would recommend
(until
> I can get a new video card!). I don't want to do anything to make matters
> worse than they are now.
>
> About the refresh rate: My monitor (1704 FPV) has a refresh rate of 60,
> according to the Manual that came on the CD with it. That seemed slow to
me
> but things seem to happen pretty quickly. Let me know if anyone has any
> ideas about improving the appearance of text.
>
> BTW ... I have a Hauppauge TV card and watching TV on this monitor is
> awesome! Resolution is very crisp and colors vivid!
>
> TIA for your help...
>
> Gail Miller
>

> "Jim" <jparker@new.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Folk, thank you VERY much. My instincts caused me to raise the digital
> > issue.
> >
> > I have a 3-year old Dell, 2.52 GHz, currently with a nVidia GeForce4
Mx420
> > card. Can you recommend a specific card, with DVI output, that would be
> > compatible with my machine?

For flat panel LCD's running XP, you can get a great improvement in text by
doing the following in your XP settings;
go to control panel/display/appearances/effects/and check under use
following for fonts/"clear type"
Hope this helps.
Dudley Henriques

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 21:36:57 GMT, "dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net>
wrote:

>Refrsh rate is different for LCD's. They don't flicker like CRT's. 60hz
>should be fine.

It isn't the same, but it still has a major detrimental effect on
image quality on my display if I don't use 75Hz.

Andrew

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 22:42:15 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"
<dhenriques@noware .net> wrote:

>For flat panel LCD's running XP, you can get a great improvement in text by
>doing the following in your XP settings;
>go to control panel/display/appearances/effects/and check under use
>following for fonts/"clear type"

That is a matter of opinion, personally I hate Clear Type fonts.

Jim

Dudley, et al,

I tried the "clear type" and much prefer it. Thank you very much. I think
you just saved me big bucks.

Jim

> Dudley, et al,
>
> I tried the "clear type" and much prefer it. Thank you very much. I
> think you just saved me big bucks.
>
> Jim

I thought this might be the case :)) Too many "opinions" recommending it.
I know when I asked about it, both my monitor mfg and MS said it would be a
great improvement, and it was......in spades!!
Dudley

Jim wrote:
> Conor,
>
> I understand that and the system is set for the proscribed 1280 x 1024
> resolution. But, in my ignorance of the mechanics, I am asking if an analog
> input to the monitor provides the same quality as a digital input. And, if
> not, would I benefit from replacing the video card?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jim
>

> "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>In article <RJ0Le.4327$mb4.4119@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com>, Jim says...
>>
>>>Help. I just purchased a Dell flat panel monitor to use with my 2002
>>>Dell
>>>PC with the nvidia GeForce4 ms 420. It contains only a VGA output. I am
>>>not pleased with the resolution--particularly text. I went through all
>>>the
>>>options available in the Display Properties page. I did download the
>>>latest driver which seems to have helped. But,do I need a new video card
>>>with digital output? Dell told me no, but I'm not convinced they knew
>>>what
>>>they were talking about. One reference I saw suggested that I need a DVI
>>>connection (the monitor came with one).
>>>

>>Flat panel displays only look good at their native resolution.
>>

>>--
>>Conor
>>
>>If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened
>>rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic
>>music.

I am