wireless print server help

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,

I have:
An HP printer with a built-in print server (non wireless).
A wireless access point that assigns internal 192.x.x.x addresses connected
to a LAN which is in range of the printer.

I want people to be able to print to my printer by setting it up as a
wireless printer. How might I do this? I've looked into wireless print
servers but each installation I've seen has the wireless printer plugged
into the printer through usb or parallel, and also plugged into the LAN. I
don't have the option of plugging it into a LAN.

Thanks,

You do not need wireless print server as long as it is on the network you
should be able to print to it wireless you would add it like any network
printer

Luckyone

"aaron" <atdawgie@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have:
> An HP printer with a built-in print server (non wireless).
> A wireless access point that assigns internal 192.x.x.x addresses
connected
> to a LAN which is in range of the printer.
>
> I want people to be able to print to my printer by setting it up as a
> wireless printer. How might I do this? I've looked into wireless print
> servers but each installation I've seen has the wireless printer plugged
> into the printer through usb or parallel, and also plugged into the LAN.
> don't have the option of plugging it into a LAN.
>
> Thanks,

In my opinion, if the printer has a lan connection with a built in network
server, you could plug it into a standard wifi access point and create a LAN
with a crossover cable of a short distance - (30 cm to give you a picture).
Then you could wirelessly bind the access point into any current wireless
networks that you have. I believe the WAP-11's can somehow do this.

Print data could go from a workstation directly to the printer.

Ray Taylor
administrator@kaycee.co.nz

"aaron" <atdawgie@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have:
> An HP printer with a built-in print server (non wireless).
> A wireless access point that assigns internal 192.x.x.x addresses
connected
> to a LAN which is in range of the printer.
>
> I want people to be able to print to my printer by setting it up as a
> wireless printer. How might I do this? I've looked into wireless print
> servers but each installation I've seen has the wireless printer plugged
> into the printer through usb or parallel, and also plugged into the LAN.
> don't have the option of plugging it into a LAN.
>
> Thanks,

Bruce

I think you could use a "network bridge" device. In effect, it converts a wired LAN connection into wireless. This would connect to the LAN port of the printer. The bridge would communicate wirelessly with the access point. Several manufacturers offer these such as Linksys, D-Link and SMC for around US$100-$150. I am sure there are others.

Good Luck