Playstation3 will cost $410 at retail ?

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony (More info?)

http://www.gameshout.com/news/062005/article1025.htm

PlayStation 3 Initial Costs
With a cost of $494 USD, this could be dangerous for the Sony PS3 since the
Microsoft Xbox 360 is priced at $299 USD.

The initial manufacturing costs for the PlayStation 3 are suspected to be
around $494 USD.

A recent report estimates that the launch costs for the three main
components of the system are the RSX graphics chip, Blu-Ray disc drive, and
the Cell processor. The cost is $101 USD each.

In an attempt to beat Sony's new PS3 system price, Microsoft Xbox 360 could
cut the $299 launch price even lower. Sony PlayStation 3 hardware will
initially retail for $410 USD.

Sony has traditionally taken large losses on its new hardware to gain a
market share advantage, however, it may face a disadvantage if forced into a
price war, as Microsoft and Nintendo are each making more conservative
choices when it comes to hardware: Microsoft is using the currently-existing
DVD spec for its own media, while Nintendo has eschewed support for
high-definition video, in the interest of maintaining its own history of
turning a profit with each console unit sold.

Furthermore, Sony is currently still taking losses on its PlayStation
Portable hardware in a continued, not yet successful attempt to beat the
Nintendo DS and Game Boy Advance in the handheld game marketplace. The
PlayStation 3 is currently expected to result in losses of over $1 billion
in its first year of sales, in addition to the $1.83 billion already
invested in R&D for the Cell chip, co-produced by IBM and Toshiba.

Bring on the discounts.

Highlander wrote:
> http://www.gameshout.com/news/062005/article1025.htm
>
> PlayStation 3 Initial Costs
> With a cost of $494 USD, this could be dangerous for the Sony PS3 since the
> Microsoft Xbox 360 is priced at $299 USD.

Yeah Xbox360 is $299 + $50 DVD playback kit + $100 40GB hard drive sure
will be a steal :*)

steven

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony (More info?)

youre wrong dvd playback is included no playback kit needed and there i no
confirmation yet wether the hardrive will be included or not, my bet is it
will be

"Velocity Girl" <BuyMySkatePark@msn.com> wrote in message
> Highlander wrote:
>> http://www.gameshout.com/news/062005/article1025.htm
>>
>> PlayStation 3 Initial Costs
>> With a cost of $494 USD, this could be dangerous for the Sony PS3 since
>> the Microsoft Xbox 360 is priced at $299 USD.
>
> Yeah Xbox360 is $299 + $50 DVD playback kit + $100 40GB hard drive sure
> will be a steal :*)

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony (More info?)

Yeah, when has MS ever given anything away for free? You can bet
everything will be additional $$.

"Brandon Dieterich" <brandon_dieterich@unc.edu> wrote in message
> Yeah, when has MS ever given anything away for free? You can bet
> everything will be additional $$.
>
> steven wrote:
>
>>youre wrong dvd playback is included no playback kit needed and there i no
>>confirmation yet wether the hardrive will be included or not, my bet is it
>>will be
>>
>>"Velocity Girl" <BuyMySkatePark@msn.com> wrote in message

>>>Yeah Xbox360 is $299 + $50 DVD playback kit + $100 40GB hard drive sure
>>>will be a steal :*)
You will need to connect you box to the internet, get you stuff valuated,
registration number ...or the extra features won't work.

xman

perfect

"steven" <stevep@tscotsman.plus.com> wrote in message
> youre wrong dvd playback is included no playback kit needed and there i no
> confirmation yet wether the hardrive will be included or not, my bet is it
> will be

A detachable and upgradable 20 gig hard drive has already been confimred for
the Xbox 360. It's a shame Sony doesn't include a hdd standard for the PS3.

perfect

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony (More info?)

"Brandon Dieterich" <brandon_dieterich@unc.edu> wrote in message
> Yeah, when has MS ever given anything away for free? You can bet
> everything will be additional $$.

When does any successful company give anything away for free w/o making it
up some where else? Brush up on Business 101 and then get back to us,
thanks.

"Perfect" <picture@perfect> wrote in message

> "steven" <stevep@tscotsman.plus.com> wrote in message
>> youre wrong dvd playback is included no playback kit needed and there i
>> no confirmation yet wether the hardrive will be included or not, my bet
>> is it will be
>>

> It's a shame Sony doesn't include a hdd standard for the PS3.

And that has been confirmed much in the way the story you just responded to
has, hasn't it?

Gman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <i7idneEJ-ZWcdZ3eRVn-ow@giganews.com>, "xmradio" <xmradio@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Brandon Dieterich" <brandon_dieterich@unc.edu> wrote in message
>> Yeah, when has MS ever given anything away for free? You can bet
>> everything will be additional $$.
>>
>> steven wrote:
>>
>>>youre wrong dvd playback is included no playback kit needed and there i no
>>>confirmation yet wether the hardrive will be included or not, my bet is it
>>>will be
>>>
>>>"Velocity Girl" <BuyMySkatePark@msn.com> wrote in message

>You will need to connect you box to the internet, get you stuff valuated,
>registration number ...or the extra features won't work.
>
>xman

In otherwords, everyone who doesnt have broadband and who buys a XBOX360 are
screwed out of it.

"GMAN" <whodothere@whocares.com> wrote in message

>>You will need to connect you box to the internet, get you stuff valuated,
>>registration number ...or the extra features won't work.
>
> In otherwords, everyone who doesnt have broadband and who buys a XBOX360
> are
> screwed out of it.

No, a modem on the PC and connection sharing will work... but I think he was
being facetious.