BFG 6600 GT OC: Why are the graphics flickering?

I just bought a BFG 6600 GT OC to replace my aging Geforce 2. But in
every game, I see flashing\flickering graphics once in awhile. What
can be causing this? If you need any information to diagnose, please
ask. Meanwhile, my specs are -->

2.6ghz Intel Celeron
768 megs of ram
CD-RW burner
CD-ROM drive
7200 rpm Maxtor Hard Drive
300 watt Antec Power Supply
Soundblaster 16 Live!

A modest system I know. :-P
16 answers Last reply
More about 6600 graphics flickering

    'Mike S.' wrote, in part:
    | I just bought a BFG 6600 GT OC to replace my aging Geforce 2. But in
    | every game, I see flashing\flickering graphics once in awhile.
    _____

    Additional, helpful, in fact critical information would be WHEN do graphics
    flicker?
    And what EXACTLY do you mean by 'flashing/flickering'?
    During 3D accelerated games? And WHICH games? And at WHAT frame rates are
    the games displaying - could a slow frame rate be the cause?
    How about when only the desktop is displayed?
    During DVD playback?
    Does there seem to be any connection with temperature of the board?
    Does the entire screen flash on and off; do individual pixels flash/flicker?
    Does the image shake?

    Possible problems with your system:
    marginal power supply?
    CPU limited graphic performance (during 3D accelerated games)?

    These potential problems make it difficult to make the most important
    diagnosis - is there a fault with the card itself, and should it be
    returned?

    If you are still within the return period, you should try the card as soon
    as possible in a known good system with an adequate power supply (though 300
    Watts SHOULD be adequate, but higher capacity might help with problems you
    describe (depending on WHEN you see the flickering.)

    Phil Weldon

    "Mike S." <mike@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >I just bought a BFG 6600 GT OC to replace my aging Geforce 2. But in
    > every game, I see flashing\flickering graphics once in awhile. What
    > can be causing this? If you need any information to diagnose, please
    > ask. Meanwhile, my specs are -->
    >
    > 2.6ghz Intel Celeron
    > 768 megs of ram
    > CD-RW burner
    > CD-ROM drive
    > 7200 rpm Maxtor Hard Drive
    > 300 watt Antec Power Supply
    > Soundblaster 16 Live!
    >
    > A modest system I know. :-P

    On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 09:45:37 GMT, "Phil Weldon"
    <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote:

    >Additional, helpful, in fact critical information would be WHEN do graphics
    >flicker?
    >And what EXACTLY do you mean by 'flashing/flickering'?
    >During 3D accelerated games? And WHICH games? And at WHAT frame rates are
    >the games displaying - could a slow frame rate be the cause?
    >How about when only the desktop is displayed?
    >During DVD playback?
    >Does there seem to be any connection with temperature of the board?
    >Does the entire screen flash on and off; do individual pixels flash/flicker?
    >Does the image shake?
    >
    >Possible problems with your system:
    > marginal power supply?
    > CPU limited graphic performance (during 3D accelerated games)?

    Thanks for the reply. The problem occurs in all 3d accelerated games I
    have tried. It does not happen in anything 2d including the desktop.
    Someone else in this newsgroup once had what I think is the same
    problem. In the subject header 'Nvidia 6600GT graphic problem' started
    by Denis 1325 he described it as 'short chops flashing around the
    screen'. That description works for me. The posters in that thread
    suggested his 320 watt power supply was the most obvious culprit. Well
    I looked more carefully at the requirements on the box for my video
    card. It says 350 watt minimum. I only have a 300 watt power supply. I
    don't have another computer to test out the card so that is not an
    option for me. So I am going to replace the power supply with a better
    one. If anyone has better advice then that, I am all virtual ears.
    Thanks.

    > I looked more carefully at the requirements on the box for my video
    > card. It says 350 watt minimum. I only have a 300 watt power supply. I
    > don't have another computer to test out the card so that is not an
    > option for me. So I am going to replace the power supply with a better
    > one. If anyone has better advice then that, I am all virtual ears.
    > Thanks.

    You should go for the most powerful PSU you can afford; that way you future
    proof yourself aginast further upgrades which might require more power.
    Make sure you go for a brand name (but avoid Q-Tec). It is not just watts
    that matter either; you need to look at how many amps the PSU can provide on
    the 12V rail (at least 18A) is recommended.

    From experience I can recommend Hiper PSUs (good balance of performance v
    cost) and OCZ (currently using one as I type - although expensive I feel it
    was money well spent). Both of these options are also extremely quiet.

    Andy

    My guess, for what it's worth, is that the Celeron CPU is limiting your
    game's data processing and thus causing the artifacts. The Celeron is not a
    gaming firendly card. Bottom line, your GPU is far more powerful than your
    CPU. Mismatched.

    --
    DaveW

    "Mike S." <mike@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >I just bought a BFG 6600 GT OC to replace my aging Geforce 2. But in
    > every game, I see flashing\flickering graphics once in awhile. What
    > can be causing this? If you need any information to diagnose, please
    > ask. Meanwhile, my specs are -->
    >
    > 2.6ghz Intel Celeron
    > 768 megs of ram
    > CD-RW burner
    > CD-ROM drive
    > 7200 rpm Maxtor Hard Drive
    > 300 watt Antec Power Supply
    > Soundblaster 16 Live!
    >
    > A modest system I know. :-P

    i thought i'd start a new line of responses because i think your problem
    sounds more like a Vsynch issue.

    try turning it on, or off, (whichever it isn't at the moment) in the 6600gt
    properties. Application controlled isn't useful in this situation, force it
    on or off and observe the results.

    I might be wrong on this, but it could be a cheap (ie. zero dollar)
    solution.

    here is a website that talks about it
    http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2004/tn2093.html#TNTAG8

    and another
    http://hardforum.com/printthread.php?t=928593

    Try this out before you cough up for a new PSU....might be worth it.

    On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 16:25:02 -0700, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:

    >My guess, for what it's worth, is that the Celeron CPU is limiting your
    >game's data processing and thus causing the artifacts. The Celeron is not a
    >gaming firendly card. Bottom line, your GPU is far more powerful than your
    >CPU. Mismatched.

    Well I just tried the card in another machine that I got my hands on.
    But that machine is actually a little slower then this one. Same thing
    happening. So either the card is defective or you may be correct. What
    Nvidia card would best match my 2.6 Celeron? Anyone?

    On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 11:34:29 GMT, "Bushy"
    <ex(underscore)boss@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Try this out before you cough up for a new PSU....might be worth it.

    Too late. I bought a new Power Supply. Whatever the problem is, I do
    not think it is power or heat. As far as your suggestion goes with
    VSync, you aren't thinking of Screen Tearing are you? That isn't the
    problem I am having. I don't have to have any movement on screen. The
    'artifacts' as one person here put it, occur all the time. Screen
    tearing is something I see only when I spin around in a FPS or First
    Person RPG.

    Anyway, I took the card out of machine and put it back in the box to
    return it. I want to make sure you are referring to my problem rather
    then just screen tearing before I try the card out again.

    i was thinking of frame tearing, clearly i misinterpretted your problem. it
    might still be a factor, but if you're ready to return it, your call. I'm no
    expert, just another user.
    Good luck getting it sorted.

    Bushy

    > On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 11:34:29 GMT, "Bushy"
    > <ex(underscore)boss@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Try this out before you cough up for a new PSU....might be worth it.
    >
    > Too late. I bought a new Power Supply. Whatever the problem is, I do
    > not think it is power or heat. As far as your suggestion goes with
    > VSync, you aren't thinking of Screen Tearing are you? That isn't the
    > problem I am having. I don't have to have any movement on screen. The
    > 'artifacts' as one person here put it, occur all the time. Screen
    > tearing is something I see only when I spin around in a FPS or First
    > Person RPG.
    >
    > Anyway, I took the card out of machine and put it back in the box to
    > return it. I want to make sure you are referring to my problem rather
    > then just screen tearing before I try the card out again.

    On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:02:52 GMT, "Bushy"
    <ex(underscore)boss@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >i was thinking of frame tearing, clearly i misinterpretted your problem. it
    >might still be a factor, but if you're ready to return it, your call. I'm no
    >expert, just another user.
    >Good luck getting it sorted.

    Yep frame tearing I am familiar with already and I already know how to
    deal with that particular problem. Thanks anyway for the reply.

    I am going to return the card in a day or so. If a 6600 GT is overkill
    for a 2.6 Celeron, I hope someone can point out a better Nvidia video
    card for my computer....

    Overkill could not be the cause of your problem, just a situation that could
    exhibit the limitations of your CPU. The solution, if that is the case, is
    to reduce the quality settings when playing 3D accelerated games. If you
    replace the 6600 GT with a less capable card and try to use the same quality
    settings, the image problems will be even more evident.

    If you swallow all advice without evaluation, you will continue to spend
    money to no effect.

    > On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:02:52 GMT, "Bushy"
    > <ex(underscore)boss@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>i was thinking of frame tearing, clearly i misinterpretted your problem.
    >>it
    >>might still be a factor, but if you're ready to return it, your call. I'm
    >>no
    >>expert, just another user.
    >>Good luck getting it sorted.
    >
    > Yep frame tearing I am familiar with already and I already know how to
    > deal with that particular problem. Thanks anyway for the reply.
    >
    > I am going to return the card in a day or so. If a 6600 GT is overkill
    > for a 2.6 Celeron, I hope someone can point out a better Nvidia video
    > card for my computer....

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 01:04:34 GMT, "Phil Weldon"
    <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote:

    >If you swallow all advice without evaluation, you will continue to spend
    >money to no effect.

    Whatever the problem is, I've decided that this card is never going to
    work properly in my system. I have 'evaluated' the problem long
    enough. Since the card is going back to the store to be replaced with
    another one, *now* is the best time to find out if a Geforce 6600 GT
    is overkill for a 2.6 Celeron equipped computer. The problem I was
    having with this card is irrelevant to this new question.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 01:04:34 GMT, "Phil Weldon"
    > <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote:
    >
    >>If you swallow all advice without evaluation, you will continue to spend
    >>money to no effect.
    >
    > Whatever the problem is, I've decided that this card is never going to
    > work properly in my system. I have 'evaluated' the problem long
    > enough. Since the card is going back to the store to be replaced with
    > another one, *now* is the best time to find out if a Geforce 6600 GT
    > is overkill for a 2.6 Celeron equipped computer. The problem I was
    > having with this card is irrelevant to this new question.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 05:40:32 GMT, "Phil Weldon"
    <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote:

    >If you swallow all advice without evaluation, youw ill continue to spend
    >money to no effect.

    The only extra money I spent was on a power supply. When someone
    mentioned power as a possible cause of my trouble, I looked at my
    power supply for the first time. It said 300 watts. The box for the
    video card said 350 watts under requirements. I 'evaluated' that I
    needed a new power supply. I did not blindly run out like a Lemming
    and buy a new power supply just because someone here told me to as you
    seem to be implying.

    Now I just want to know what card would work best in tandem with a 2.6
    Intel Celeron computer. If the 6600 GT is going to sit there twiddling
    its virtual thumbs waiting for the CPU, then there is no point in
    buying another $200 6600 GT - even if the next one works perfectly,
    right? See that? EVALUATION! <g>
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    What you did do is run out and buy a new power supply that evidently made no
    difference in the performance of your system. What the box says as minimum
    requirement is just about useless - the CPU power consumption is also a big
    factor, along with memory and the number of drives.

    Of course the 6600 GT WILL provide more performance with your current CPU
    than a less powerful video card will provide with your current CPU. A
    nVidia 6800 Ultra will provide even MORE performance with your current CPU,
    just not as good performance as if the CPU had a larger L2 cache, higher bus
    speed, and higher clock speed.

    You still haven't provided enough information to diagnose your current
    problem.

    And what you assuredly haven't done a proper evaluation. You might also
    want to consider future, incremental upgrades (in which case your new
    impluse buy 350 Watt power supply might need to be replaced.

    > On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 05:40:32 GMT, "Phil Weldon"
    > <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote:
    >
    >>If you swallow all advice without evaluation, youw ill continue to spend
    >>money to no effect.
    >
    > The only extra money I spent was on a power supply. When someone
    > mentioned power as a possible cause of my trouble, I looked at my
    > power supply for the first time. It said 300 watts. The box for the
    > video card said 350 watts under requirements. I 'evaluated' that I
    > needed a new power supply. I did not blindly run out like a Lemming
    > and buy a new power supply just because someone here told me to as you
    > seem to be implying.
    >
    > Now I just want to know what card would work best in tandem with a 2.6
    > Intel Celeron computer. If the 6600 GT is going to sit there twiddling
    > its virtual thumbs waiting for the CPU, then there is no point in
    > buying another $200 6600 GT - even if the next one works perfectly,
    > right? See that? EVALUATION! <g>

  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 13:21:32 GMT, "Phil Weldon"
    <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote:

    >Of course the 6600 GT WILL provide more performance with your current CPU
    >than a less powerful video card will provide with your current CPU.

    It won't if the bottleneck isn't the card. But since my current card
    is a Geforce 2 GTS, I am sure any upgrade will show improvement.

    >You still haven't provided enough information to diagnose your current
    >problem.

    I gave as much as I can think of. I am not withholding information on
    purpose. I don't know what other info to provide. I seriously doubt
    anyone can diagnose my problem at this point anyway. It is also
    irrelevant. As I said, the card is already back in the box. Back to
    the store it goes after work.

    >And what you assuredly haven't done a proper evaluation.

    I've given it as much attention as I am going to. I am done playing
    games with the damn thing. <shrug>

    > You might also
    >want to consider future, incremental upgrades (in which case your new
    >impluse buy 350 Watt power supply might need to be replaced.

    I did not buy a 350 watt power supply.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    DaveW wrote:
    > My guess, for what it's worth, is that the Celeron CPU is limiting your
    > game's data processing and thus causing the artifacts. The Celeron is not a
    > gaming firendly card. Bottom line, your GPU is far more powerful than your
    > CPU. Mismatched.

    "The Celeron is not a gaming firendly card"?? I guess that's true,
    since it's not a CARD at all...

Nvidia CD-Rom Graphics