Will SLI ever take advantage of dual-core processors?

I've been looking for articles on this topic and haven't bumped into any
yet. I wonder if NVIDIA will ever come up with a set of drivers that
will allow each SLI card to run on its own processor. Any thoughts or
web links on the topic?
7 answers Last reply
More about will advantage dual core processors

    SLI has no direct relations with dual-core CPUs. Having each card
    communicating with only one of the two cores is not advantageous, either.

    "Scott" <Scott@nospamhere.net> wrote in message
    > I've been looking for articles on this topic and haven't bumped into any
    > yet. I wonder if NVIDIA will ever come up with a set of drivers that will
    > allow each SLI card to run on its own processor. Any thoughts or web
    > links on the topic?

    Before you get caught in all the hoopla for dual-core, take a look at this:
    http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=510&Itemid=2

    Gabe Newell (of all people) is scared of the difficulty in programming games
    to take advantage of dual-core CPUs.

    For multimedia encoding, sure, but games won't be able to benefit from
    dual-core for some time.

    Scott <Scott@nospamhere.net> wrote in news:G7HLe.58329$Tt6.14871@fe04.lga:

    > I've been looking for articles on this topic and haven't bumped into any
    > yet. I wonder if NVIDIA will ever come up with a set of drivers that
    > will allow each SLI card to run on its own processor. Any thoughts or
    > web links on the topic?

    Apples and oranges, dude.

    http://www6.tomshardware.com/game/20021228/index.html

    --

    /mel/

    np: silence

    Nothing solid, just wishful thinking and "what could be possible", along
    with screenshots of current games that don't benefit from HT or multi-core.

    BTW, don't misunderstand me. Since current games are usually not CPU-bound
    at high-resolutions anyway, increasing CPU horsepower one way or the other
    won't be noticeable. However, using HT or dual-core to cut 20 minutes off a
    MPEG4 encoding job, represents an enormous, tangible time saving for the
    user.

    "/mel/" <pipexnews@swinehood.kill.a.spammer.today.com> wrote in message
    > http://www6.tomshardware.com/game/20021228/index.html

    The new 8X.XX forceware drivers will take advantage of dual core. While the
    games themselves may be difficult to program, Nvidia has stated that they
    can use a cpu to offset some of the driver calculations away from the GPU.
    Personally, I would luv to see someone (like Realtek) make a motherboard
    chip sound driver that would take advantage of one cpu. That would do away
    with any performance issues with using the motherboard sound in games.

    Scott

    Scott Koprowski wrote:

    > The new 8X.XX forceware drivers will take advantage of dual core. While
    > the games themselves may be difficult to program, Nvidia has stated that
    > they can use a cpu to offset some of the driver calculations away from the
    > GPU. Personally, I would luv to see someone (like Realtek) make a
    > motherboard chip sound driver that would take advantage of one cpu. That
    > would do away with any performance issues with using the motherboard sound
    > in games.

    Just set the processor affinity in Task Manager.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Nvidia SLI Dual Core Processors Graphics