Will SLI ever take advantage of dual-core processors?

Scott

I've been looking for articles on this topic and haven't bumped into any
yet. I wonder if NVIDIA will ever come up with a set of drivers that
will allow each SLI card to run on its own processor. Any thoughts or
web links on the topic?

SLI has no direct relations with dual-core CPUs. Having each card
communicating with only one of the two cores is not advantageous, either.

"Scott" <Scott@nospamhere.net> wrote in message
> I've been looking for articles on this topic and haven't bumped into any
> yet. I wonder if NVIDIA will ever come up with a set of drivers that will
> allow each SLI card to run on its own processor. Any thoughts or web
> links on the topic?

Before you get caught in all the hoopla for dual-core, take a look at this:
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=510&Itemid=2

Gabe Newell (of all people) is scared of the difficulty in programming games
to take advantage of dual-core CPUs.

For multimedia encoding, sure, but games won't be able to benefit from
dual-core for some time.

"Scott" <Scott@nospamhere.net> wrote in message
> I've been looking for articles on this topic and haven't bumped into any
> yet. I wonder if NVIDIA will ever come up with a set of drivers that will
> allow each SLI card to run on its own processor. Any thoughts or web
> links on the topic?

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

Scott <Scott@nospamhere.net> wrote in news:G7HLe.58329$Tt6.14871@fe04.lga:

> I've been looking for articles on this topic and haven't bumped into any
> yet. I wonder if NVIDIA will ever come up with a set of drivers that
> will allow each SLI card to run on its own processor. Any thoughts or
> web links on the topic?

Apples and oranges, dude.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/game/20021228/index.html

--

/mel/

np: silence

Nothing solid, just wishful thinking and "what could be possible", along
with screenshots of current games that don't benefit from HT or multi-core.

BTW, don't misunderstand me. Since current games are usually not CPU-bound
at high-resolutions anyway, increasing CPU horsepower one way or the other
won't be noticeable. However, using HT or dual-core to cut 20 minutes off a
MPEG4 encoding job, represents an enormous, tangible time saving for the
user.

"/mel/" <pipexnews@swinehood.kill.a.spammer.today.com> wrote in message
> http://www6.tomshardware.com/game/20021228/index.html

The new 8X.XX forceware drivers will take advantage of dual core. While the
games themselves may be difficult to program, Nvidia has stated that they
can use a cpu to offset some of the driver calculations away from the GPU.
Personally, I would luv to see someone (like Realtek) make a motherboard
chip sound driver that would take advantage of one cpu. That would do away
with any performance issues with using the motherboard sound in games.

Scott

Scott Koprowski wrote:

> The new 8X.XX forceware drivers will take advantage of dual core. While
> the games themselves may be difficult to program, Nvidia has stated that
> they can use a cpu to offset some of the driver calculations away from the
> GPU. Personally, I would luv to see someone (like Realtek) make a
> motherboard chip sound driver that would take advantage of one cpu. That
> would do away with any performance issues with using the motherboard sound
> in games.

Just set the processor affinity in Task Manager.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate