Catalyst 5.8 for ATI Radeon 8500/700XL System?

Last response: in Computer Brands
September 8, 2005 5:32:41 PM

Hi,

I'm troubleshooting sluggish performance with the most recent version of
Street Atlas (2006), and as always, the video driver is always a possible
cause.

The system is a 2.2 GHz Pentium 4 700XL, purchased in spring of 2002, with 1
gb RAM, and ATI Radeon 8500 64 mb videocard, currently running driver
6.14.10.6414 Catalyst 4.1 as the AIDA32 utility. It is my understanding
that this also drives the DVD player the system has, and I vaguely recall
something about "MPact" drivers, but can't currently reference these.

When checking Gateway's support for drivers for this card, it actually shows
a driver 6.13... which is presumably older than what I currently have.
ATI's website shows Catalyst 5.8, for their own Radeon 8500/64 mb cards, but
since I have a Gateway OEM, I'm a little uncertain if this can be used.

Any advice on updating this driver would be appreciated, including whether
or not the Catalyst 5.8 will also properly run my DVD drive/player.

Finally, ATI has a Catalyst Uninstaller, which they recommend running before
installing 5.8. Does this advice apply to my situation? Or am I just
asking for trouble?

Thanks.

--
Don
Photo Website at:

[Remove the "lens cap" for email]
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 9:57:25 PM

It is unlikely you have an Mpact anything as they went out of business
several years ago and were hardware decoders that some gateways had. There
wer never even any drivers for it beyond windows 98. As far as your drivers
go, the ATI drivers should work fine. Windows XP has a neat driver rollback
feature that will take it back to the previous driver if you need to. I have
been updating my dad's gateway with the 8500 with the catalyst drivers for
quite a while now and have had no issues.

"Don Cohen" <doncohen@lens-cap.alltel.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm troubleshooting sluggish performance with the most recent version of
> Street Atlas (2006), and as always, the video driver is always a possible
> cause.
>
> The system is a 2.2 GHz Pentium 4 700XL, purchased in spring of 2002, with
> 1 gb RAM, and ATI Radeon 8500 64 mb videocard, currently running driver
> 6.14.10.6414 Catalyst 4.1 as the AIDA32 utility. It is my understanding
> that this also drives the DVD player the system has, and I vaguely recall
> something about "MPact" drivers, but can't currently reference these.
>
> When checking Gateway's support for drivers for this card, it actually
> shows a driver 6.13... which is presumably older than what I currently
> have. ATI's website shows Catalyst 5.8, for their own Radeon 8500/64 mb
> cards, but since I have a Gateway OEM, I'm a little uncertain if this can
> be used.
>
> Any advice on updating this driver would be appreciated, including whether
> or not the Catalyst 5.8 will also properly run my DVD drive/player.
>
> Finally, ATI has a Catalyst Uninstaller, which they recommend running
> before installing 5.8. Does this advice apply to my situation? Or am I
> just asking for trouble?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Don
> Photo Website at:
> http://www.dlcphotography.net
>
> [Remove the "lens cap" for email]

Anonymous
September 8, 2005 9:57:26 PM

Hi Tweek,

"Tweek" <shawnwinget@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> It is unlikely you have an Mpact anything as they went out of business
> several years ago and were hardware decoders that some gateways had. There
> wer never even any drivers for it beyond windows 98. As far as your
> drivers go, the ATI drivers should work fine. Windows XP has a neat driver
> rollback feature that will take it back to the previous driver if you need
> to. I have been updating my dad's gateway with the 8500 with the catalyst
> drivers for quite a while now and have had no issues.

Thanks for the reply and info. Now that I think of it, it may have been my
prior Gateway that had the Mpact stuff.

Do you use the Catalyst Uninstaller before running the executable for the
new driver? If so, does this undo the ability to use XP's driver rollback?
Or do you just run the executable without any prior preparation?

Thanks again.

--
Don
Photo Website at:
http://www.dlcphotography.net

[Remove the "lens cap" for email]

> "Don Cohen" <doncohen@lens-cap.alltel.net> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm troubleshooting sluggish performance with the most recent version of
>> Street Atlas (2006), and as always, the video driver is always a possible
>> cause.
>>
>> The system is a 2.2 GHz Pentium 4 700XL, purchased in spring of 2002,
>> with 1 gb RAM, and ATI Radeon 8500 64 mb videocard, currently running
>> driver 6.14.10.6414 Catalyst 4.1 as the AIDA32 utility. It is my
>> understanding that this also drives the DVD player the system has, and I
>> vaguely recall something about "MPact" drivers, but can't currently
>> reference these.
>>
>> When checking Gateway's support for drivers for this card, it actually
>> shows a driver 6.13... which is presumably older than what I currently
>> have. ATI's website shows Catalyst 5.8, for their own Radeon 8500/64 mb
>> cards, but since I have a Gateway OEM, I'm a little uncertain if this can
>> be used.
>>
>> Any advice on updating this driver would be appreciated, including
>> whether or not the Catalyst 5.8 will also properly run my DVD
>> drive/player.
>>
>> Finally, ATI has a Catalyst Uninstaller, which they recommend running
>> before installing 5.8. Does this advice apply to my situation? Or am I
>> just asking for trouble?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> --
>> Don
>> Photo Website at:
>> http://www.dlcphotography.net
>>
>> [Remove the "lens cap" for email]

September 9, 2005 3:20:52 AM

I never run the uninstaller and have had no problems. Still, it may be a
good idea since you are making a rather large jump in driver versions. I am
not actually sure if it will affect the driver rollback. You could certianly
use the drivers disk that came with your Gateway to reinstall the original
drivers though.

> Hi Tweek,
>
> "Tweek" <shawnwinget@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
>> It is unlikely you have an Mpact anything as they went out of business
>> several years ago and were hardware decoders that some gateways had.
>> There wer never even any drivers for it beyond windows 98. As far as your
>> drivers go, the ATI drivers should work fine. Windows XP has a neat
>> driver rollback feature that will take it back to the previous driver if
>> you need to. I have been updating my dad's gateway with the 8500 with the
>> catalyst drivers for quite a while now and have had no issues.
>
> Thanks for the reply and info. Now that I think of it, it may have been
> my prior Gateway that had the Mpact stuff.
>
> Do you use the Catalyst Uninstaller before running the executable for the
> new driver? If so, does this undo the ability to use XP's driver
> rollback? Or do you just run the executable without any prior preparation?
>
> Thanks again.
>

> --
> Don
> Photo Website at:
> http://www.dlcphotography.net
>
> [Remove the "lens cap" for email]
>

>> "Don Cohen" <doncohen@lens-cap.alltel.net> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm troubleshooting sluggish performance with the most recent version of
>>> Street Atlas (2006), and as always, the video driver is always a
>>> possible cause.
>>>
>>> The system is a 2.2 GHz Pentium 4 700XL, purchased in spring of 2002,
>>> with 1 gb RAM, and ATI Radeon 8500 64 mb videocard, currently running
>>> driver 6.14.10.6414 Catalyst 4.1 as the AIDA32 utility. It is my
>>> understanding that this also drives the DVD player the system has, and I
>>> vaguely recall something about "MPact" drivers, but can't currently
>>> reference these.
>>>
>>> When checking Gateway's support for drivers for this card, it actually
>>> shows a driver 6.13... which is presumably older than what I currently
>>> have. ATI's website shows Catalyst 5.8, for their own Radeon 8500/64 mb
>>> cards, but since I have a Gateway OEM, I'm a little uncertain if this
>>> can be used.
>>>
>>> Any advice on updating this driver would be appreciated, including
>>> whether or not the Catalyst 5.8 will also properly run my DVD
>>> drive/player.
>>>
>>> Finally, ATI has a Catalyst Uninstaller, which they recommend running
>>> before installing 5.8. Does this advice apply to my situation? Or am I
>>> just asking for trouble?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Don
>>> Photo Website at:
>>> http://www.dlcphotography.net
>>>
>>> [Remove the "lens cap" for email]

Anonymous
September 9, 2005 3:20:53 AM

>I never run the uninstaller and have had no problems. Still, it may be a
> good idea since you are making a rather large jump in driver versions. I
> am not actually sure if it will affect the driver rollback. You could
> certianly use the drivers disk that came with your Gateway to reinstall
> the original drivers though.

Thanks again, Tweek. Hopefully things should proceed smoothly.

Best,

--

!