Sharing Files with XP on a wireless system

I am connected to the internet via a wireless system. Both the router and the wireless adapter are the same brand.

The issue is sharing files between the computers. I have run the network wizard several times. At time I am able to see the other computer but I get a message that I do not have permissions?

Thanks in advance
8 answers Last reply
More about sharing files wireless system

    Have you turned on Windows File and Printer sharing and then designated
    either drives or folders to share?

    Bobby

    "alc" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am connected to the internet via a wireless system. Both the router and
    >the wireless adapter are the same brand.
    >
    > The issue is sharing files between the computers. I have run the network
    > wizard several times. At time I am able to see the other computer but I
    > get a message that I do not have permissions?
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Check firewall
    "alc" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am connected to the internet via a wireless system. Both the router and
    the wireless adapter are the same brand.

    > The issue is sharing files between the computers. I have run the network
    wizard several times. At time I am able to see the other computer but I get
    a message that I do not have permissions?

    > Thanks in advance

    I have reset the file sharing on both computers several times. Both computers can connect to the internet. As I mentioned I can see the other computer but cannot open it.

    ----- NoNoBadDog! wrote: -----

    Have you turned on Windows File and Printer sharing and then designated
    either drives or folders to share?

    Bobby

    "alc" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am connected to the internet via a wireless system. Both the router and
    >the wireless adapter are the same brand.
    >> The issue is sharing files between the computers. I have run the network
    > wizard several times. At time I am able to see the other computer but I
    > get a message that I do not have permissions?
    >> Thanks in advance

    Thanks.

    Both firewalls are disabled, as well as file sharing being set up.

    I have a similar issue Desktop(DT) PC is XP Pro Notebook(NB) is XP Home. I can see and access NB from DT but not vice versa; need to use the DT Printer from the NB and I get the You may not have Permission to access Workgroup.

    User is in both DT & NB with same UID & PWD, FileSharing active on both, Firewall shutdown on both.
    The NB has a 10.100 Port and works fine wired but not Wireless????????????

    On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 04:11:04 -0700, alc <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote:

    >Thanks.
    >
    >Both firewalls are disabled, as well as file sharing being set up.

    What firewalls do you have? Some third party firewalls are known for not
    reacting properly to being disabled; you may have to re enable then un install
    carefully. Or re enable then configure properly.

    What version of Windows XP are you running?

    Please provide ipconfig information for each computer.
    Start - Run - "cmd". Type "ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt" into the command
    window - Open c:\ipconfig.txt in Notepad, copy and paste into your next post.
    Identify each with Windows XP version (Home / Pro).

    From each computer, verify connectivity:
    1) Ping the other by name.
    2) Ping the other by ip address.
    3) Ping itself by name.
    4) Ping itself by ip address.
    5) Ping 127.0.0.1.
    6) Ping the router.
    Report success / failure of each of 12 pings.

    From each computer, verify shares visibility (provide actual name / address of
    each computer as appropriate):
    Start - Run then:
    1) \\ThisComputerName
    2) \\ThisComputerIPAddress
    3) \\OtherComputerName
    4) \\OtherComputerIPAddress
    Report visibility of shares / error displayed in each case.

    Cheers,
    Chuck
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    I have a Norton firewall on one computer and Norton ant-virus on both.

    The Linsys router is firewalled with Norton.

    I am running version 2002 Service Pak 1 for Windows XP on Both computers.

    I may have mentioned that I can see the other computer on the network after I run the Network set up but cannot access the files. I have set up the file sharing on both computers.

    Thanks
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 06:21:02 -0700, alc <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote:

    >I have a Norton firewall on one computer and Norton ant-virus on both.
    >
    >The Linsys router is firewalled with Norton.
    >
    >I am running version 2002 Service Pak 1 for Windows XP on Both computers.
    >
    >I may have mentioned that I can see the other computer on the network after I run the Network set up but cannot access the files. I have set up the file sharing on both computers.
    >

    >Thanks

    Norton Internet Security (the Norton firewall) is known for not successfully
    reacting to being disabled. Re enable it, and put the other computer into its
    Trusted (Local) zone and / or open the following ports: TCP 139, 445; UDP 137,
    138, 445 to allow file sharing.

    If that doesn't help, un install it, carefully, using every procedure provided
    by Symantec. In one previous case, a guy reported having to un install Norton
    Antivirus too, as there were apparently some common modules in NAV and NIS
    causing problems.

    If still no help, please provide the objective diagnostic data that I requested
    previously.

    Cheers,
    Chuck

Wireless Windows XP Wireless Networking