F.E.A.R. demo and 6800

Hulk

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002

Oh boy. I set the resolution at 1024 x 768 and the effects to the max,
except for the textures, which was at medium due to my card's 128mb
memory limit. The game looks fantastic, but during the combat and the
slow motion effects, the framerate dropped occasionally from 30 to 10
frames per second. This game ain't for lower end cards, that's for damn
sure. I noticed some sound problems; a little beep here and there, but
other than that I quite enjoyed this.

Machine:

Barton 2600+
Nforce 2 motherboard
1Gb ram
GeForce 6800

Hmm. I've got a system very similar to yours (XP mobile @ 2541, 2GB DDR400
and 9800 Pro) except a less-capable vid-card. I can run FEAR at all details
maxed in 800x600. I wonder if your RAM is the key problem here. I know that
BF2 ran MUCH smoother on my rig when I upgraded to 2GB of RAM.

--
there is no .sig
"Hulk" <HULK@100tons.lift> wrote in message
> Oh boy. I set the resolution at 1024 x 768 and the effects to the max,
> except for the textures, which was at medium due to my card's 128mb memory
> limit. The game looks fantastic, but during the combat and the slow
> motion effects, the framerate dropped occasionally from 30 to 10 frames
> per second. This game ain't for lower end cards, that's for damn sure. I
> noticed some sound problems; a little beep here and there, but other than
> that I quite enjoyed this.
>
> Machine:
>
> Barton 2600+
> Nforce 2 motherboard
> 1Gb ram
> GeForce 6800

Hulk

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002

"Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote:
> Hmm. I've got a system very similar to yours (XP mobile @ 2541, 2GB DDR400
> and 9800 Pro) except a less-capable vid-card. I can run FEAR at all
> details maxed in 800x600. I wonder if your RAM is the key problem here. I
> know that BF2 ran MUCH smoother on my rig when I upgraded to 2GB of RAM.

It's possible, but I'd say the main reason for the slowdown are the groovy
effects during the slow-motion mode. You should test the demo at 1024 x
768. F.E.A.R. is the most pixel-hogging first person shooter in months.
I'm sure that my card could handle 800 x 600, but I haven't used that
resolution in years.

> "Hulk" <HULK@100tons.lift> wrote:
>> Oh boy. I set the resolution at 1024 x 768 and the effects to the max,
>> except for the textures, which was at medium due to my card's 128mb
>> memory limit. The game looks fantastic, but during the combat and the
>> slow motion effects, the framerate dropped occasionally from 30 to 10
>> frames per second. This game ain't for lower end cards, that's for damn
>> sure. I noticed some sound problems; a little beep here and there, but
>> other than that I quite enjoyed this.
>>
>> Machine:
>>
>> Barton 2600+
>> Nforce 2 motherboard