6600GT VIVO + MCE 2005 Composite Video

I've recently bought an nVidia GeForce 6600GT VIVO display adapter, and
I connected my composite video (yellow) to the adapter (and the audio
to Line In).
I am using Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005.

I looked around the nVidia website, and found the page:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/mce_extensions.html. The fourth image is
exactly what I need
(http://www.nvidia.com/docs/IO/23032/Displa...log-Y-Pr-Pb.jpg).
So I followed the instructions, I installed the MCE-enabled ForceWare
and the NVIDIA DVD Decoder trial and restarted my computer.
In the Media Center, I could find the nVidia display extension, I could
even see the pages on screenshots 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 (I couldn't
see what's on screenshot 3 because I only use one monitor).
However for some reason, the display setup skipped #4: whether I use
S-Video, Composite or Component.

I would like to know how to get it to ask me that, or in any other way
how can I use Composite on Windows Media Center 2005.

Thanks in advance!
9 answers Last reply
More about 6600gt vivo 2005 composite video

    Thanks for your answer. However Media Center doesn't give me the option
    to see the composite video, that's why I looked for that way.

    How can I access that? I don't have "Watch TV", and when I click on TV
    options it says no TV tuner found (that's correct, but composite is
    like TV).

    Since you're only connected by composite it proly won't ask you how to
    connect (hence it doesn't ask you how it's connected). The nVidia cards
    detect what's connected based on the resistance on each pin on the 9 pin
    mini-DIN. The graphics card knows that you're connected via composite so it
    won't ask. In any case, each connector is mutually exclusive. You can only
    have one connected ( and working ) at a time.

    <dkldkl2@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I've recently bought an nVidia GeForce 6600GT VIVO display adapter, and
    > I connected my composite video (yellow) to the adapter (and the audio
    > to Line In).
    > I am using Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005.
    >
    > I looked around the nVidia website, and found the page:
    > http://www.nvidia.com/object/mce_extensions.html. The fourth image is
    > exactly what I need
    > (http://www.nvidia.com/docs/IO/23032/Displa...log-Y-Pr-Pb.jpg).
    > So I followed the instructions, I installed the MCE-enabled ForceWare
    > and the NVIDIA DVD Decoder trial and restarted my computer.
    > In the Media Center, I could find the nVidia display extension, I could
    > even see the pages on screenshots 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 (I couldn't
    > see what's on screenshot 3 because I only use one monitor).
    > However for some reason, the display setup skipped #4: whether I use
    > S-Video, Composite or Component.
    >
    > I would like to know how to get it to ask me that, or in any other way
    > how can I use Composite on Windows Media Center 2005.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    Thanks for your reply.
    I figured I may need another software, and I saw that software at the
    nVidia site:
    http://www.nvidia.com/docs/IO/23032/Display-Wizard-Analog-Y-Pr-Pb.jpg
    But as I said in my initial post, although I followed the instructions
    and I was able to see all the other pages I couldn't see this one.

    Ironically as you previously said, the nVidia page says: "Customized
    for each display type simplify setup by not showing unused settings".
    Could it be that it thinks Composite is an unused setting? If so, how
    can I change that?

    GF6 is indeed connected to the TV Tuner using a composite video cable.

    Windows Movie Maker works just fine. Still no option on Windows Media
    Center though.

    The composite, S-Video or component connector in the MCE driver ( the panel
    you're referring to ) isn't for watching TV on yer comp. 'tis for seeing yer
    PC screen ( Windows MCE Desktop/ User Interface ) on yer TV set and the
    connector decides how you've connected yer PC to yer TV set along with the
    menu you mention.

    If you want to watch TV on yer PC you need an MCE certified TV tuner ( with
    a hardware MPEG-2 encoder). The VIVO functionality on yer Geforce card can't
    be used with MCE to watch TV ( at least not from the MCE interface). The
    reason is that Video In on a GF6 simply captures raw video from the
    composite input on yer card; this is the case with all PC VIVO card graphics
    cards. This has to be compressed to MPEG-2 ( as required by MCE ) using
    capture software on the host CPU ( on yer Athlon/Pentium chip ).

    Windows MCE only supports special TV tuner cards which can do the MPEG-2
    encoding in hardware (on the card ) such as a Hauppauge PVR-250 or an nVidia
    NVTV card. These cards capture the video from the composite, S-Video or TV
    antenna connector ( on the capture card ) and convert the data to MPEG-2 on
    the card itself ( leaving yer CPU free to do something else ).

    So you proly can watch TV on MCE with yer card, but you need to use other
    software. But you definitely can't use it with MCE in the way 'twas intended
    and get it work normally. I think the minimum card you can get away with is
    the Hauppauge PVR-150 ( which is a capture card with a hardware encoder).

    > Thanks for your answer. However Media Center doesn't give me the option
    > to see the composite video, that's why I looked for that way.
    >
    > How can I access that? I don't have "Watch TV", and when I click on TV
    > options it says no TV tuner found (that's correct, but composite is
    > like TV).

    Connect yer GF6 to yer TV set using a composite video cable. Then you'll get
    the option. Make sure you use the right composite output as yer VIVO card
    will have many plugs of the same sort.

    You may have composite in, composite out, s-video in, s-video out, and three
    connectors for component output.

    It depends on the type of cable you have.

    > Thanks for your reply.
    > I figured I may need another software, and I saw that software at the
    > nVidia site:
    > http://www.nvidia.com/docs/IO/23032/Display-Wizard-Analog-Y-Pr-Pb.jpg
    > But as I said in my initial post, although I followed the instructions
    > and I was able to see all the other pages I couldn't see this one.
    >
    > Ironically as you previously said, the nVidia page says: "Customized
    > for each display type simplify setup by not showing unused settings".
    > Could it be that it thinks Composite is an unused setting? If so, how
    > can I change that?

    > I figured I may need another software

    You can use Windows Movie Maker to test it. The VIVO port should be
    compatible with it. 'tis part of XP or a free download from microsoft. Once
    again you need to connect yer TV Tuner/VCR/STB/Satellite tuner to the
    composite input.

    Thanks.

    I'm considering buying NVTV, if it has composite in and audio in.

    As I said before, it won't work with WMC. This is (once again) because the
    capture card (GF6 Video in) is a 'software' capture card. You need a
    'hardware' capture card for Media Centre.

    > GF6 is indeed connected to the TV Tuner using a composite video cable.
    >
    > Windows Movie Maker works just fine. Still no option on Windows Media
    > Center though.

Nvidia Media Center Video Graphics