help setting up dual monitors please

I know I had this working before, but then I moved and was
using only one monitor for a while so messed with the settings.
Now I can't figure out how I set it up previously.

I'm running a 6800 with dual monitors. I used to have it
so each one had its own resolution and refresh rate. Going
into the nvidia display properties, if I set it for dual monitors
configured horizontally, it treats both monitors as one,
with one very wide resoluion and one refresh rate. Plus the
windows task bar spans both monitors where it used to
only appear on the primary one. I don't see any other setting
that seems to be appropriate (single, clone, dual horizontal,
dual vertical). How do I set these independently? I also
have Powerstrip installed but I'm having no luck with that
either. Thanks!
9 answers Last reply
More about help setting dual monitors please

    "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >I know I had this working before, but then I moved and was
    > using only one monitor for a while so messed with the settings.
    > Now I can't figure out how I set it up previously.
    >
    > I'm running a 6800 with dual monitors. I used to have it
    > so each one had its own resolution and refresh rate. Going
    > into the nvidia display properties, if I set it for dual monitors
    > configured horizontally, it treats both monitors as one,
    > with one very wide resoluion and one refresh rate. Plus the
    > windows task bar spans both monitors where it used to
    > only appear on the primary one. I don't see any other setting
    > that seems to be appropriate (single, clone, dual horizontal,
    > dual vertical). How do I set these independently? I also
    > have Powerstrip installed but I'm having no luck with that
    > either. Thanks!

    On my workstation with a QuadroFX 3400 w/ 2 LCDs, I use the dual-view
    setting, and can control independently either of the screens. I also had to
    use the monitor position from display properties Settings tab to adjust the
    position of the second monitor (different monitor base = different Y
    position). But some applications have problems running in dual view, so I
    have a hotkey shortcut to change my 'profile' from dual to single when
    needed.

    --
    Luc Monod
    Patt-Technologies, Inc.

    "Luc Monod" <LMonod 'at' Patt-Technologies 'dot' com> wrote in message
    > "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>I know I had this working before, but then I moved and was
    >> using only one monitor for a while so messed with the settings.
    >> Now I can't figure out how I set it up previously.
    >>
    >> I'm running a 6800 with dual monitors. I used to have it
    >> so each one had its own resolution and refresh rate. Going
    >> into the nvidia display properties, if I set it for dual monitors
    >> configured horizontally, it treats both monitors as one,
    >> with one very wide resoluion and one refresh rate. Plus the
    >> windows task bar spans both monitors where it used to
    >> only appear on the primary one. I don't see any other setting
    >> that seems to be appropriate (single, clone, dual horizontal,
    >> dual vertical). How do I set these independently? I also
    >> have Powerstrip installed but I'm having no luck with that
    >> either. Thanks!
    >>
    > On my workstation with a QuadroFX 3400 w/ 2 LCDs, I use the dual-view
    > setting, and can control independently either of the screens. I also had
    > to use the monitor position from display properties Settings tab to adjust
    > the position of the second monitor (different monitor base = different Y
    > position). But some applications have problems running in dual view, so I
    > have a hotkey shortcut to change my 'profile' from dual to single when
    > needed.
    >
    > --
    > Luc Monod
    > Patt-Technologies, Inc.
    > St-Eustache, QC
    > Canada

    I just dont see a 'dual view' setting other than the ones I mentioned. I'd
    almost think
    I'd need to update the driver except for the fact this used to work with the
    driver
    I currently have installed :). This should be a piece of cake, I'm not sure
    why
    I'm having so much difficulty.

    In article <RylOe.5873$Fq2.1262@trndny03>, nospam@nospam.com says...

    > "Luc Monod" <LMonod 'at' Patt-Technologies 'dot' com> wrote in message
    > > "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > >>I know I had this working before, but then I moved and was
    > >> using only one monitor for a while so messed with the settings.
    > >> Now I can't figure out how I set it up previously.
    > >>
    > >> I'm running a 6800 with dual monitors. I used to have it
    > >> so each one had its own resolution and refresh rate. Going
    > >> into the nvidia display properties, if I set it for dual monitors
    > >> configured horizontally, it treats both monitors as one,
    > >> with one very wide resoluion and one refresh rate. Plus the
    > >> windows task bar spans both monitors where it used to
    > >> only appear on the primary one. I don't see any other setting
    > >> that seems to be appropriate (single, clone, dual horizontal,
    > >> dual vertical). How do I set these independently? I also
    > >> have Powerstrip installed but I'm having no luck with that
    > >> either. Thanks!
    > >>
    > > On my workstation with a QuadroFX 3400 w/ 2 LCDs, I use the dual-view
    > > setting, and can control independently either of the screens. I also had
    > > to use the monitor position from display properties Settings tab to adjust
    > > the position of the second monitor (different monitor base = different Y
    > > position). But some applications have problems running in dual view, so I
    > > have a hotkey shortcut to change my 'profile' from dual to single when
    > > needed.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Luc Monod
    > > Patt-Technologies, Inc.
    > > St-Eustache, QC
    > > Canada
    > >

    > I just dont see a 'dual view' setting other than the ones I mentioned. I'd
    > almost think
    > I'd need to update the driver except for the fact this used to work with the
    > driver
    > I currently have installed :). This should be a piece of cake, I'm not sure
    > why
    > I'm having so much difficulty.

    Having just gone through the same of you I found that you have to use
    the display wizard, either TV or Display from nView Desktop Manager /
    nView Properties.

    In the process of fiddling around with this though, I've managed to open
    an application in one window state that now open off screen when not
    maximised, so if anyone knows how to reset the screen postion of an app
    I'm listening!

    Wooky

    > Having just gone through the same of you I found that you have to use
    > the display wizard, either TV or Display from nView Desktop Manager /
    > nView Properties.
    >
    > In the process of fiddling around with this though, I've managed to open
    > an application in one window state that now open off screen when not
    > maximised, so if anyone knows how to reset the screen postion of an app
    > I'm listening!
    >
    > Wooky
    'Display Properties' \ 'Settings' tab \ 'Advanced' \ 'nVIDIA' tab \ 'Desktop
    Management' \ 'Windows'
    check 'prevent windows from opening off-screen'

    Luc

    In article <430b1f6d$1@usenet.ugs.com>, "Luc Monod" <LMonod 'at' Patt-
    Technologies 'dot' com> says...
    > > Having just gone through the same of you I found that you have to use
    > > the display wizard, either TV or Display from nView Desktop Manager /
    > > nView Properties.
    > >
    > > In the process of fiddling around with this though, I've managed to open
    > > an application in one window state that now open off screen when not
    > > maximised, so if anyone knows how to reset the screen postion of an app
    > > I'm listening!
    > >
    > > Wooky
    > 'Display Properties' \ 'Settings' tab \ 'Advanced' \ 'nVIDIA' tab \ 'Desktop
    > Management' \ 'Windows'
    > check 'prevent windows from opening off-screen'
    >
    > Luc

    Thanks for the tip but unfortunately that didn't do it, it was
    determined to open where it wanted.

    I knew of the alt/space M command to move windows, as the mouse cursor
    changes to a move icon I tried to move it back with that, it didn't
    work. What I hadn't realised was that you could move the windows with
    the cursor keys, that did fix it :-)

    Cheers

    Wooky

    Use the Taskbar and choose Move. Then insure you use the keyboard to move it
    back into the display. DO NOT USE your mouse to do it.

    "pjp" <pjpoirier_is_located_at_@_hotmail_._com> wrote in message
    > Use the Taskbar and choose Move. Then insure you use the keyboard to move
    > it
    > back into the display. DO NOT USE your mouse to do it.

    I remember loosing the variable table for Solid-Edge on my screen somewhere,
    it's not located as an application on the taskbar. Took me 2 days to find
    it. Lost beneath my Taskbar ...
    Good reason to have multiple screens, you don't have to move windows around
    to work.

    --
    Luc Monod
    Patt-Technologies, Inc.

    > "Luc Monod" <LMonod 'at' Patt-Technologies 'dot' com> wrote in message
    >> "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>>I know I had this working before, but then I moved and was
    >>> using only one monitor for a while so messed with the settings.
    >>> Now I can't figure out how I set it up previously.
    >>>
    >>> I'm running a 6800 with dual monitors. I used to have it
    >>> so each one had its own resolution and refresh rate. Going
    >>> into the nvidia display properties, if I set it for dual monitors
    >>> configured horizontally, it treats both monitors as one,
    >>> with one very wide resoluion and one refresh rate. Plus the
    >>> windows task bar spans both monitors where it used to
    >>> only appear on the primary one. I don't see any other setting
    >>> that seems to be appropriate (single, clone, dual horizontal,
    >>> dual vertical). How do I set these independently? I also
    >>> have Powerstrip installed but I'm having no luck with that
    >>> either. Thanks!
    >>>
    >> On my workstation with a QuadroFX 3400 w/ 2 LCDs, I use the dual-view
    >> setting, and can control independently either of the screens. I also had
    >> to use the monitor position from display properties Settings tab to
    >> adjust the position of the second monitor (different monitor base =
    >> different Y position). But some applications have problems running in
    >> dual view, so I have a hotkey shortcut to change my 'profile' from dual
    >> to single when needed.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Luc Monod
    >> Patt-Technologies, Inc.
    >> St-Eustache, QC
    >> Canada
    >>

    > I just dont see a 'dual view' setting other than the ones I mentioned.
    > I'd almost think
    > I'd need to update the driver except for the fact this used to work with
    > the driver
    > I currently have installed :). This should be a piece of cake, I'm not
    > sure why
    > I'm having so much difficulty.

    OK I figured out the problem I think, just not sure how to solve it.
    XP itself only thinks I have one monitor. I can't get it to install or
    detect the second one. The nVidia driver correctly lists both
    monitors but I don't have the dual view options and I assume that's
    because XP itself needs to know about it.

    > Having just gone through the same of you I found that you have to use
    > the display wizard, either TV or Display from nView Desktop Manager /
    > nView Properties.
    >
    > In the process of fiddling around with this though, I've managed to open
    > an application in one window state that now open off screen when not
    > maximised, so if anyone knows how to reset the screen postion of an app
    > I'm listening!
    >
    > Wooky

    All I can say is.... WTF?!?!? I've had my second monitor off now for a few
    days and haven't gone back to looking at this problem. After reading your
    post, I went to go try what you suggested, turned on my other monitor and
    it was working exactly the way I wanted!!! I hate psychic PCs.

Nvidia Dual Monitors Monitors Graphics