CD-ROM Drive

Ever since I installed my graphics card, my CD-ROM drive stopped functioning
properly. When I boot up my computer, the light on my CD-ROM drive turns on
and stays on. I can't eject the disc tray or anything. It refuses to respond.
Any ideas?

Bug-Eyed Earl wrote:
> Ever since I installed my graphics card, my CD-ROM drive stopped functioning
> properly. When I boot up my computer, the light on my CD-ROM drive turns on
> and stays on. I can't eject the disc tray or anything. It refuses to respond.
> Any ideas?

Make sure you did not disturb the cable going from the motherboard to
the CDROM drive. That is easy to do when installing cards. If the
connector on the motherboard is not properly seated, it could cause your
problems.

What video card, motherboard, and how is your CDROM drive connected to
the system.

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

In article <e4cOe.650502$cg1.180204@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, Robert Gault <robert.gault@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>Bug-Eyed Earl wrote:
>> Ever since I installed my graphics card, my CD-ROM drive stopped functioning
>> properly. When I boot up my computer, the light on my CD-ROM drive turns on
>> and stays on. I can't eject the disc tray or anything. It refuses to respond.
>
>> Any ideas?
>
>Make sure you did not disturb the cable going from the motherboard to
>the CDROM drive. That is easy to do when installing cards. If the
>connector on the motherboard is not properly seated, it could cause your
>problems.
>
>What video card, motherboard, and how is your CDROM drive connected to
>the system.

Thanks for the reply. My graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 OC 256MB
PCI. My motherboard is an Intel (KittyHawk) Motherboard 1.1-GHz Celeron. By
the way, do you know how to disable the Intel® 82815 Graphics Controller?

The IDE cable plug to your CD-ROM drive is flipped (the pin-41 end is at the
pin-1 end of the socket.)

Phil Weldon

nobody@nowhere wrote:
> In article <e4cOe.650502$cg1.180204@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, Robert Gault <robert.gault@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
>>Bug-Eyed Earl wrote:
>>
>>>Ever since I installed my graphics card, my CD-ROM drive stopped functioning
>>>properly. When I boot up my computer, the light on my CD-ROM drive turns on
>>>and stays on. I can't eject the disc tray or anything. It refuses to respond.
>>
>>>Any ideas?
>>
>>Make sure you did not disturb the cable going from the motherboard to
>>the CDROM drive. That is easy to do when installing cards. If the
>>connector on the motherboard is not properly seated, it could cause your
>>problems.
>>
>>What video card, motherboard, and how is your CDROM drive connected to
>>the system.
>

> Thanks for the reply. My graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 OC 256MB
> PCI. My motherboard is an Intel (KittyHawk) Motherboard 1.1-GHz Celeron. By
> the way, do you know how to disable the Intel® 82815 Graphics Controller?

No I don't, but if it can be done it will either be with a jumper on the
motherboard or a BIOS entry. Did you check your owner's manual?