Why buy a 7800 GTX when you can buy a low cost GT?

Good Day,

If your monitor's maximum resolution is 1600 by 1200 is there any
benefit(s) to buying a 7800 GTX instead of a low cost 7800 GT?

In all the reviews that I have read they seem to indicate that the GT
is the better deal.

GPUrookie

Hawk

GPUrooky wrote:
> Good Day,
>
> If your monitor's maximum resolution is 1600 by 1200 is there any
> benefit(s) to buying a 7800 GTX instead of a low cost 7800 GT?
>
> In all the reviews that I have read they seem to indicate that the GT
> is the better deal.
>
> GPUrookie

lol ... not sure I'd refer to the 7800GT as "low cost" but it is a much
better value than the GTX. =D

(*>

It's relative and there are more variables than just screen resolution.
You may want to ask yourself questions like, "Do I want to play such and
such game at X frames per second at 1600x1200 with all the eye candy turned
on or X+10 frames per second blah blah blah...?" Now the difference between
the GT and the GTX, performance wise, in most games right now may not be
recognizable by the human eye and if you factor in the price difference, the
GT may be the best buy for you.
Me? When I move up next I'll probably get the GTX or whatever is the very
top of the line at the time. But I certainly see the wisdom in getting just
one step down and saving quite a bit of money. That's what I did when I
bought the 6800 GT OC instead of the Ultra. BTW, BFG is a great brand.
--
Scotter

"GPUrooky" <tovun@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Good Day,
>
> If your monitor's maximum resolution is 1600 by 1200 is there any
> benefit(s) to buying a 7800 GTX instead of a low cost 7800 GT?
>
> In all the reviews that I have read they seem to indicate that the GT
> is the better deal.
>
> GPUrookie

Why buy a Mercedes SL65 when you can buy a "low cost" SL600? Above a certain
price point, the extra money you pay is no longer an issue...

"Scotter" wrote:

> Me? When I move up next I'll probably get the 7800 GTX or whatever is the
> very top of the line at the time. But I certainly see the wisdom in
> getting just one step down and saving quite a bit of money. That's what I
> did when I bought the 6800 GT OC instead of the Ultra. BTW, BFG is a great
> brand.

> Scotter

Yep, Scotter. As I keep harping (and I'm certain everyone is sick of it -
especially from a newbie here):

BFG nVidia GeForce 6800 GT OC (AGP or PCI-e- your choice of flavors).

You can't go wrong with this card within its price range- and it's not just
because I have one. Really.

Get the BFG nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra if want to go a little further in your
quest for a great card.

Mark

"GPUrooky" <tovun@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Good Day,
>
> If your monitor's maximum resolution is 1600 by 1200 is there any
> benefit(s) to buying a 7800 GTX instead of a low cost 7800 GT?
>
> In all the reviews that I have read they seem to indicate that the GT
> is the better deal.
>
> GPUrookie

The 7800gt I think is the best buy. When you sli them the performance
between the gt's and gtx's in sli are very similar in 1600x1200. So what
im going to do is get the gt and then in about 6 months when there cheaper
get another for sli. If you were to go gtx then youd have to buy another gtx
just to have the same performance as the gt's and youd spend about $200
more. So that doesnt make sense. 7800gt all the way.
Im glad I waited.

If you've got money to burn in the fireplace (literally) then you can get the
best. I wish I were rich!