help me find a router please and I'll offer something in r..

MSI

Ok folks, I've been looking for a router that has some feaures and so far
the only one I have found is a Belkin 802.11G one. It isn't working out for
me so far, I'm on my second one. There's a lot of issues for me. So, i am
asking all of you to please if you would be willing to help me out, I'd like
to return the favor and pay you maybe $15 for helping me. I'll pay $15 to
the first one who suggests the right kind of router for me and I buy it. It
needs to meet my needs though. I'll pick the best suggested router from all
the suggestions.

Here's what my needs are and what i've tried so far.

First, I can not get DSL. Won't use dial up. I have cable. Earthlink powered
by comcast. 3mbps. I live in Washington state.

I have tried the netgear RP614 and linksys 1 port router one. Those do not
have parent control web content filtering in them at all. I have currently
the Belkin 802.11G and in 2 weeks, I'm on my second router. It is buggy and
unreliable. It freezes a lot, the set up pages when you hit apply changes
won't reload the page sometimes, or it takes a long time, and a couple other
issues. However it has the most important feature I need. Parental control
web content filtering. I also won't use a linux pc for this, but it needs to
be a real router.

Ok, so here's my needs and wants. This list is not in any specific order.

1: I would like for it to show how much the WAN port only, downloads and
uploads. It would be nice if the router had a page in the set up pages for
this information. I guess also this would be SNMP. This feature is not 100%
needed, but greatly wanted and desired. Figure 100% wanted, 80% or so
needed.

2: Parental control web conent filter. This is 100% needed. Is a must in any
trouter I get. Not just a keyword or url box you put stuff in to block, like
all the netgear has and linksys, but a full rating system, blocking
categories etc parent control filter. The Belkin uses www.cerberian.com for
thiers. you have 56 categories to select etc. I would like it to filter
usenet newsgroups also. Not block port 119, most routers you can set it to
block ports, but filter them. Block the porn newsgroups, but leave the rest
alone, or enter in keywords to block. Also block totally from running, p2p
networking apps like kazaa and limewire etc. My guess is that this all would
be from the parent control content filter company or whatever.

3: Wireless G, not B as G is compatible with B and much faster. The router
does not have to have wireless, but it is preferred.

4: 4 port 10/100 switch built in.

5: good warranty and tech support. like a toll free tech number 24./7
support. this is a request from something i buy, not a need.

6: Under $200. This is 100% must.

7: hopefully can be bought from comp usa. A friend of mine works there and i
can get it cheaper. Staples, Best Buy, those type stores are ok too. if got
from catalog, must have a 100% money refund return policy if it didn't work
out for me or i didn't like it. Or if I was able to buy from the comapny,
online or something. That might work ok too.

8: hopefully you can help find a couple reviews online about what you
suggest also. it'd be nice to know a little about the router before i
actually bought it. specificaly some mention of the parent control filtering
it would use and the ability for you to get download and upload stats from
the WAN port or SNMP or whatever it is that does that.

Mike

Splendid

----- msi wrote: -----

[...]

kaz

Distinguished
May 22, 2001

Try a "D-Link DI-624 Wireless Router" there is a new version out now, we have one and from what I understand so far as this networking stuff is all new to me, I think it has all the necessary evils you require right down to the filtering etc.

Cheers
Kaz

MSI

Mike you didn't even say anything.

it's ok tho. take care.

"mike" <10242 hickory riged road apt 403 columbia md 21044> wrote in message

> [...]
>
> 7: hopefully can be bought from comp usa. A friend of mine works
there and i
> can get it cheaper. Staples, Best Buy, those type stores are ok too.
if got
> from catalog, must have a 100% money refund return policy if it
didn't work
> out for me or i didn't like it. Or if I was able to buy from the
comapny,
> online or something. That might work ok too.
>
> 8: hopefully you can help find a couple reviews online about what you
> suggest also. it'd be nice to know a little about the router before i
> actually bought it. specificaly some mention of the parent control
filtering
> it would use and the ability for you to get download and upload stats
from
> the WAN port or SNMP or whatever it is that does that.

it doesn't do SNMP though i bet. i will look on their site though, but from
my knowledge, no dlink has content filtering other then a stupud url box you
enter in keywords. it's not like a filter.
"Kaz" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Try a "D-Link DI-624 Wireless Router" there is a new version out now, we
have one and from what I understand so far as this networking stuff is all
new to me, I think it has all the necessary evils you require right down to
the filtering etc.

> Cheers
> Kaz

MSI

like i said and thot, The AirPlus DI-614+ also supports basic parental
control features of URL blocking, Domain blocking, and IP address blocking.
basic, this means all you get is a box where you have to put stuff in to
block. it's not a filter. it isn't like software like cyberpatrol etc.

"Kaz" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Try a "D-Link DI-624 Wireless Router" there is a new version out now, we
have one and from what I understand so far as this networking stuff is all
new to me, I think it has all the necessary evils you require right down to
the filtering etc.

> Cheers
> Kaz

Sorry have to admit that I dont know what SNPM is as I am very new to networking, but I can tell you what D-link have noted on the packaging etc, also that the filtering covers URL, IP, MAC & Domain Name filtering and seems to have another area for setting and allowing special applications.
I will add I am also an Aussie so I expect we are behind the rest of the world for any new hardware or software thats available, never the less this is supposed to be one of the latest releases for us by D-Link.
"DI-624 Air Plus XtremeG"
High Speed 802.11g Wireless Router and supports the following according to the packaging,
Up to 54Mbps
Share internet with built in 4 Port Switch
Advanced firewall secirity & Parental Control
Stronger network Security with 128-bit WEP Encryption
Full Compatable with 802.11b standard
Supports Multi-sessions with VPN Passthrough
Advanced Logging
Connect up to 328 Feet (100 metres) indoors/1312 feet (400 meters) Outdoors
& Set up Wizard

Dont know if that helps
cheers

MSI

it is a url box you enter in stuff to block, it is not a true filter like
www.cyberpatrol.com etc. the belkin one i know of it is an actual filter.
you have a set of 56 categories to select from what to allow or block etc.
no dlink router is like this. they only have a url box where you input what
you want to block. it's not an actual web content filtering solution. i
looked on their site and read their manual and that is all it is, it is not
a true fitlering solution at all.

"D-Link" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Sorry have to admit that I dont know what SNPM is as I am very new to
networking, but I can tell you what D-link have noted on the packaging etc,
also that the filtering covers URL, IP, MAC & Domain Name filtering and
seems to have another area for setting and allowing special applications.
> I will add I am also an Aussie so I expect we are behind the rest of the
world for any new hardware or software thats available, never the less this
is supposed to be one of the latest releases for us by D-Link.
> "DI-624 Air Plus XtremeG"
> High Speed 802.11g Wireless Router and supports the following according
to the packaging,
> Up to 54Mbps
> Share internet with built in 4 Port Switch
> Advanced firewall secirity & Parental Control
> Stronger network Security with 128-bit WEP Encryption
> Full Compatable with 802.11b standard
> Supports Multi-sessions with VPN Passthrough
> Advanced Logging
> Connect up to 328 Feet (100 metres) indoors/1312 feet (400 meters)
Outdoors
> & Set up Wizard
>
> Dont know if that helps
> cheers

kaz

Distinguished
May 22, 2001

Ok, your probably right but I did notice that you were refering to the "DI-614+" thats not the same one that I was talking about, this one we have is a "DI-624+".
I know there is a 614 model wether there is any difference between that and a 624 is another question.

Kaz

MSI

i am talking about the 624+

> Ok, your probably right but I did notice that you were refering to the
"DI-614+" thats not the same one that I was talking about, this one we have
is a "DI-624+".
> I know there is a 614 model wether there is any difference between that
and a 624 is another question.

> Kaz

MSI

"msi" <msi@msi.com> wrote in message
> i am talking about the 624+
>

> "Kaz" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ok, your probably right but I did notice that you were refering to the
> "DI-614+" thats not the same one that I was talking about, this one we
have
> is a "DI-624+".
> > I know there is a 614 model wether there is any difference between that
> and a 624 is another question.
> >
> > Kaz

It's ok because I think so far I've found something that does most of what I
need. Zywall.

MSI

dlink and netgear have no such routers that have parental control content
filtering.

> "msi" <msi@msi.com> wrote in message
> > i am talking about the 624+
> >

> > "Kaz" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Ok, your probably right but I did notice that you were refering to the
> > "DI-614+" thats not the same one that I was talking about, this one we
> have
> > is a "DI-624+".
> > > I know there is a 614 model wether there is any difference between
that
> > and a 624 is another question.
> > >
> > > Kaz
> >

> It's ok because I think so far I've found something that does most of what
> need. Zywall.

MSI

ok this is piossing me off. there is no router that tells you how many bytes
you download and upload in the WAN port of a router.