Compatability problems with FX5500?

ME

I just bought a Nvidia FX 5500 (256 meg, AGP) to replace a bad video card in
my Dell Demension 8300.
When I installed it, the card didn't post, but the computer booted up
normally. I tried swapping a FX 5200 128 meg card from my wife's Dell
Demesion 4600. The FX 5200 worked fine but the FX 5500 wouldn't post on her
computer either.
I tested the FX 5500 in 2 older computers, one a P3 700 mhz, the other a P4
1.5 ghz and it worked fine.
All 4 computers have atleast a 250 watt power supply.
I'm currently using a Geforce 2 mx 400... but hopefully not for long.
Any one know of any compatability issues with certain Nvidia cards and Dell
computers?

Had the same problem with my maddog 5500. It turned out the drivers that
came on the CD has a problem. Downloaded driver from the manufacture
webpage and fixed the problem. Download from Nvidia.com at your risk since
the last 4 drivers have major flaws in them.

"me" <dazed> wrote in message news:11gplht5t06gheb@corp.supernews.com...
>I just bought a Nvidia FX 5500 (256 meg, AGP) to replace a bad video card
>in my Dell Demension 8300.
> When I installed it, the card didn't post, but the computer booted up
> normally. I tried swapping a FX 5200 128 meg card from my wife's Dell
> Demesion 4600. The FX 5200 worked fine but the FX 5500 wouldn't post on
> her computer either.
> I tested the FX 5500 in 2 older computers, one a P3 700 mhz, the other a
> P4 1.5 ghz and it worked fine.
> All 4 computers have atleast a 250 watt power supply.
> I'm currently using a Geforce 2 mx 400... but hopefully not for long.
> Any one know of any compatability issues with certain Nvidia cards and
> Dell computers?

ME

With my 5500 there is no signal coming from the card at all on the 2 dell
computers but on a gateway and home built pc the card works fine.
Could it be there is not enough power coming from the agp slot on the 2 dell
computers? All 4 computers have a 250 watt power supply, but the 2 dell pcs'
have 2 dvd-rom drives and 1 or 2 cards in the pci slots.
"Dromiz" <jaltvate@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> Had the same problem with my maddog 5500. It turned out the drivers that
> came on the CD has a problem. Downloaded driver from the manufacture
> webpage and fixed the problem. Download from Nvidia.com at your risk
> since the last 4 drivers have major flaws in them.
>
> "me" <dazed> wrote in message news:11gplht5t06gheb@corp.supernews.com...
>>I just bought a Nvidia FX 5500 (256 meg, AGP) to replace a bad video card
>>in my Dell Demension 8300.
>> When I installed it, the card didn't post, but the computer booted up
>> normally. I tried swapping a FX 5200 128 meg card from my wife's Dell
>> Demesion 4600. The FX 5200 worked fine but the FX 5500 wouldn't post on
>> her computer either.
>> I tested the FX 5500 in 2 older computers, one a P3 700 mhz, the other a
>> P4 1.5 ghz and it worked fine.
>> All 4 computers have atleast a 250 watt power supply.
>> I'm currently using a Geforce 2 mx 400... but hopefully not for long.
>> Any one know of any compatability issues with certain Nvidia cards and
>> Dell computers?

Oh that problem my MSI computer had the same problem. In my case windows
was still using the motherboards video and not the new card. Had go into
bios and turn the motherboard video (Intel) back on and rebooted --- used
motheroboard video connection not the new card. Next changed setup in the
nvidia to use the new card then reboot turn motherboards video back off and
setup bios to us a external card then rebooted. It was a huge pain but now
have my 5500 card running and no problems.